Athens May 1

pfopma

Our ship NCL Spirit will be in Athens on May 1. I found out recently that this is a holiday in Europe and many museums and businesses will be closed including the Acropolis. I have called NCL twice and they are aware of the date and said they have reached out to excursion vendors for options. I noticed today that they deleted any excursions that go to the Acropolis from our shore excursion list (that leaves only 3). I am OK with just viewing the Acropolis from a distance but I am not sure how to make the most of the one day we have considering the holiday. Looking for any suggestions! Thanks.

• 1 month later...

We took a Greek isles cruise last year and were to port in Katakolon on May 1 however Princess continued to sell excursions.   About 3 months before sail date they changed the itinerary around making May 1 a sea day so in the end we made it to Ancient Olympia!   If you do end up in Athens on May 1, all you can do is walk around... you can get some good pictures of the acropolis from nearby hills.  Lycabettus hill funicular is open on holidays.  Also know there are and will be May Day protests in/near Syntagma Sq