Kona Coffee Farms

RvrCrzr

Would like to tour a good coffee farm near Kona. Which are closest to Kona, that are good ones to tour? Will they have coffee for sale, or is it better to buy in town?

I would like to bring back 100% Kona coffee in single serve POD form. (for Senseo machine) I know Aloha Island makes it this way, do you know of any others?

Thanks!

The only coffee farm we visited was Greenwell. It was open on Sunday, had free coffee samples (as much as you wanted and of every flavor they made), and a free 20 minute farm tour. Upon looking at the tour map offered of the kona area, it looked like it was the only one with the free tours and samples and open the day we were there.

http://www.greenwellfarms.com/

You do not have to buy anything but we liked the coffee so much we bought quite a bit.

JavaOne has a Kona Blend Pod.

Espressozone.com has 100% Kona Pods

Coffeewhiz.com sells them too.

I have not seen them in stores here though. Only whole bean and ground.

Another question:

If I buy coffee in Hawaii, and bring it back by cruise ship to the mainland...is there some type of limit? (Custom's) There is a 4 hour stop in Mexico.

Island Princess from L.A. to Hawaii to Mexico to L.A.

There's no limit on how much coffee you can bring to the mainland. I seriously doubt that a "courtesy" stop in Mexico would make a difference.

This website has a driving map of the Kona coffee region: http://www.konacoffeefest.com/drivingtour/map.html

If you google "Kona coffee tour," you'll get a bunch of sites that do group and private tours for those who don't want to rent a car.

We typically buy direct from the farms. I don't know which would have the pods. We've heard nothing but good stuff about Mountain Thunder and can't wait to try it next trip.

beachchick

A requirement for pod coffee will definitely make it harder to buy from the farms as it is rarely available that way there (the machinery to package the pods is not commonly found at the farms). Most commonly, the coffee will be shipped to a plant to be packaged into pods. Like you said, Aloha Island is one of the rare farms that offers pods - not sure if they have an actual tour though.

Spleen

We went to tour the Holualoa coffee Farm http://www.konalea.com/

It was about 15 min. drive from the pier. There are several others around that offer tours.

We also arranged to buy coffee direct from the farms from

Smith Farm www.smithfarms.com

and

Koa Coffee http://www.koacoffee.com/coffeebeans.html

Both had good coffee. We bought many lbs, and they came to the pier to meet us. There is a very big banyan treet near the pier and we met them at 4pm and paid cash. The last tender was 4:30pm so the timing was just right.

By buying from the farm, you get freshly coffee. Both places told us they roasted and packaged our coffee that day.

Thanks...I hadn't seen that map before. It'll come in VERY handy! :)

Great tips. I hadn't thought of the pod packaging either. I still plan to buy coffee in bean form regardless. I guess the only limit will be funds!

I hear there is good coffee grown in Kauai as well. Any suggestions on what to get?

Yes that map is a great one...it helped us a lot. Before selecting a place to visit, pay special attention to the days and times they are open...and other information as well. For example, some have free tours and tasting...some are by appointment only....some for a fee. Some are open only weekdays. Some may say they are open from 8-5 but then that would be for sales only...the tours are only actually offered in the morning. ETC.

You get the idea. I would just call or email ahead before you waste precious time getting to one to be disappointed.

Archived