Shore Excurions - Inspiration

kapcruiser

We are sailing on the inspiration, first time cruisers, we want to go to beaches when we get to cozumel, grand caymen, costa maya and belize. Can anyone give me some tips for an inexpensive way to go.

Than you icon_smile.gif

Inspiration - August 2004

We did the Inspiration last July.....I have to tell you we did 3 cruises last summer between July and October.......I learned a lot doing the Inspiration bc we picked her bc of the ports there are so many and it they were new to us.....so here it goes in Cozumel we booked with a company we have used before called Eagle Ray Divers (3 reef snorkel) they are awesome well worth the money and we have always gotten more than our $$$ worth, just my favorite, in Belize we booked with Coral Breezes and did a 3 reef snorkel, it was neat, it was a little hard at least for me. The reefs are such that you must not kick hard. I mean your body at times needs to be flat on the ocean bc of the fire coral and such.....it was a "harder snorkel" than I was use to but still neat. Belize is neat but you have to book something. There is really nothing to do but get off the ship via tender and go to the shops. You are warned by many to remember Belize can be very dangerous and it is not advised to just wander out of the shopping area. If I were to do Belize again I would book something online before hand or through CCL that took us to one of the Cayes for a beach day bc that is where the beauty of Belize really is.....Grand Cayman, we used Nativeway Watersports for the stingray city dive, $25 per person, small group (not like the 100 plus the ships excursions take out), nice boats, highly recommend them. The rays are awesome.....you meet up at the pier after you tender in then you meet up with the Nativeway Operator and then take a short bus ride to the boat and then the boat ride is about 20 minutes or so and all of a sudden you come to this beautiful water where all of the boats form a huge circle and the guides are feeding the rays and they come up around you. I am normally not scared BUT it was a little weird. For the safety of the rays you can't wear fins just mask & snorkel and if the remote chance you step on the ray it "could" sting you.....it was cool and beautiful but weirded me out at the same time. In CM we did our only CCL excursion which was a wild bus ride on a AC nice bus that goes like crazy down a narrow road to a beach where for you spend several hours and can take buses back at different times......water is nice pretty but more gray not as blue as Cozumel or Belize or even GC......CCL has spent a lot of $$$ to build up CM. When you come into port all of a sudden you are in the middle of the sea and you just see jungle terrain and then a dot appears on the distance and you pull into an almost Disney looking port of new bright buildings, lots of shopping (which is better and cheaper in Cozumel) and such.....I believe there is a free pool and we saw a small beach area. The CCL excursion was worth the cost for us. You get free drinks or bottled water, cokes, beers etc. lots of beach loungers etc....it was relaxing. Now when we went on a 7 day cruise on Disney at the end of October we took our young sons and did a really relaxing inexpensive plan. Cozumel, taxi to Chakanab National Park, taxi fare and then entrance cost which was less than $10 USD, we have snorkel gear but you can rent, nice beach and water and relaxing and then plenty of time to shop afterward.....Grand Cayman taxi to 7 Mile Beach NOT the public beach but be dropped off by the Holiday Inn, taxi fare, and chair rental, they had bathrooms, showers and a place to get chips or cold drinks. Hope that helps. We are going back on a 5 day May 1 and plan on going to Chakanab in Cozumel and then 7 Mile Beach is GC.....have fun.........I liked the latter of our excursions bc so help me God by the 4th port on the Inspiration bc of all of the excursions I had planned before hand I felt like I was in a nightmare water triathelon (lol) everyday was an endurance test......when we took our boys a few months ago it was much cheaper, still fun and much more laid back!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> we want to go to beaches when we get to cozumel, grand caymen, costa maya and belize. Can anyone give me some tips for an inexpensive way to go.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Cozumel, you can beach at Chankanaab park for $10pp entrance fee. But places like Mr. Sanchos are free. At Grand Cayman, you can go to Seven Mile Beach, also free.

While in Costa Maya, you can beach right there at the pier. They have two pools, beach waiters, and lounge chairs. No charge for beach or the chairs, (also hammocks) but get there early. There is a swim up bar pool right there in the village, surrounded by shops. No charge for the use of the pool.

In Belize, well, I don't know of a free beach. We chose Carnival's Goeff's Caye snorkel excursion. They picked us up right at the ship and we rode a speed boat to a little island no larger than a football field. Right in the middle of nowhere! We enjoyed it and the snorkeling was good. But the relaxing beach was GREAT!

Next Cruise(s).......

Sensation to Coz 5/04

Glory, Eastern 7/04

Miracle 2/05

Jubilee 6/02

Inspiration 7/03

Conquestadors! 1/04

Sensation 5/04

Glory 7/04

Miracle 2/05

Archived