QM2 to pass RMS Queen Mary

cruise44

From the Maritime Matters website:

QUEEN's to Meet and Greet

January 12: Cunard have announced that the long imagined photo op, a meeting o fthe Queen's will actually occurr on February 22, a meeting of QUEEN MARY 2 and her older sister QUEEN MARY, now permanently moored at Long Beach, CA. The historic meeting of the two Queen Marys will take place twice on Wednesday, February 22 - at both 7:00 am and again at 5:00 pm - as QUEEN MARY 2 sails through outer Long Beach harbor, sounding her whistle which once belonged to the original QUEEN MARY herself. The QUEEN MARY 2 completes her 38-day South America Odyssey cruise, and then makes her maiden call at the port of Los Angeles, adjacent to the port Long Beach.

http://www.maritimematters.com

Does anyone know how close the two ships will be? I was looking at a satellite map on google maps and it seems they could get pretty close, but I wasn't sure about the draft issue. Although if they could get the original Queen Mary in there, they must be able to get the QM2 fairly close.

Does anyone know how close the two ships will be? I was looking at a satellite map on google maps and it seems they could get pretty close, but I wasn't sure about the draft issue. Although if they could get the original Queen Mary in there, they must be able to get the QM2 fairly close.

It was announced on board the 3 Jan Panama Cruise that they would be side-by-side for the first time ever!

As in, docked at the new dock built by Carnival? According to sources. Who knows if they are right or not!

Karie- Back in the cold north after 12 glorious days on the QM2

QM2 is scheduled to be docked in San Pedro (aka Port of Los Angeles, World Cruise Center), just a few miles from Long Beach, where Queen Mary is located. Here is the Port of Los Angeles calendar:

http://208.179.220.201/calendars/Calcium37.pl?CalendarName=sanpedrocruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2006/2/1

If anyone's interested, here's the official website. Not much up there now in terms of what's planned but it should be updated frequently as they get more things arranged.

http://www.thequeenmarysmeet.com/

Well, I guess this settles once and for all the questions folks had abot whether she would berth close by.

Don't oversleep that morning!

Schedule:

6:00 a.m. Queen Mary 2 arrives offshore near Long Beach 7:00 a.m. Queen Mary 2 in place for whistle salute with Queen Mary 7:15 a.m. Queen Mary 2 departs for berth in Port of Los Angeles 4:00 p.m. Queen Mary 2 departs Los Angeles Harbor 5:00 p.m. Queen Mary 2 exchanges departure greeting with Queen Mary and exits Long Beach Harbor

Archived