The best bits about a cruise

Brushtail

I am newby cruiser. I am seriously considering a cruise for our next holiday, but I've never done it before and I am wondering what it is like.

This is a great forum and I have learned a lot. But, as is human nature, most people who have cruised talk about the things that go wrong or the things they didn't like.

Whilst this is interesting, it is not very helpful for us newbies and it can have the opposite effect by making us think twice about it.

I would like to know what makes a cruise the best type of holiday for those experienced cruisers on this forum.

Why do you go...... what do you love best........ what do you do....... how do you fill the day..........where are the best cabins............all that sort of thing.

Jenny

>^..^<

(Dreaming of the next holiday and trying to talk DH into a cruise instead of a driving holiday through Victoria)

Hi Jenny, it's almost 20 years since I went on my cruise and certainly looking forward to my next one in 11 weeks time. I was single last time & this time going with hubby & our s children.

There's lots of great things about a cruise. You can do lots of things or nothing at all. Obviously when you're in port filling in the day isn't a problem. On sea days there is also plenty to do. Things like trivia & bingo or lazing around on deck reading a book. I can't remember what other things there was to do during the day but I do know that I never got bored. At night time there is a show in the showlounge and if you don't want to go to that then there are other smaller lounges with music playing or a band. But best of all, most of your time will be spent meeting new people. As I said, last time I was single so this time I am looking forward to not having to cook, vacuum, make beds & all that other stuff that I have to do everyday at home. Not many holidays are like that. Our last holiday was on the Gold Coast in Oct '04 for 2 weeks and although it was a great holiday it was very hectic. Spending all day at a theme park (heaps of fun) but then coming back to your apartment and having to cook dinner (we did eat out quite a bit though) is pretty tiring. I washed & ironed every day and although I wasn't real fussy about cleaning up I wanted to at least keep the place looking respectable. It was while we were on that holiday that I decided I needed a relaxing one next time. Also, once you're on board all your meals are already paid for so the only money you're forking out is for drinks & souvenirs. I can't wait for mine!!

Karen

Jenny once you cruise you will be hooked.

I have experienced all kinds of vacations and it is the best.

Because I am not wealthy I can enjoy all the meals, entertainment, etc, etc without thinking ...what is this going to cost me!

I like cruising better then tours and camping because once you have unpacked the only thing to do is relax and enjoy.

I like the idea of the "one big family of fellow cruisers". I have made some wonderful friends from all over the world.

These are just a few of the reasons.

Marleneann.

I am newby cruiser. I am seriously considering a cruise for our next holiday, but I've never done it before and I am wondering what it is like.

This is a great forum and I have learned a lot. But, as is human nature, most people who have cruised talk about the things that go wrong or the things they didn't like.

Whilst this is interesting, it is not very helpful for us newbies and it can have the opposite effect by making us think twice about it.

I would like to know what makes a cruise the best type of holiday for those experienced cruisers on this forum.

Why do you go...... what do you love best........ what do you do....... how do you fill the day..........where are the best cabins............all that sort of thing.

Jenny

>^..^<

(Dreaming of the next holiday and trying to talk DH into a cruise instead of a driving holiday through Victoria)

My hubby and I went a few years ago,like you I wanted a change from a driving holiday which I dislike.Well he was sick (didn't know back then of patches etc) and won't try again. I loved it and have been myself a few times since.Its a great holiday if you are on your own,there is lots to do.People are friendly and you chat to everyone.I love the dressing up for dinner (The foods plentiful) lots of entertainment. Not to mention the Ports,the day just flies by, I never have time to sit in a deckchair! But you can if thats what kind of holiday you want. I like lots of action.In regards to cabins,they are all similar on the Sun.The ones with a window are nice.It doesn't really matter what deck you are on as the ship is not that big and there are lifts.try to get as close to the centre of the ship (less motion) the ones near the front get an early wakeup call! (anchor chain) People have often said to me,they would feel confined on the ship. Well I have never felt that, I walk miles it seems like,and I always try and use the stairs.Give it a try, also myself if I was looking at choice of ports I would give Noumea a miss, all the other ones I've been to have been lovely.

Jenny,

It's the one true holiday and woman can really have. You don't have to cook, clean, wash, tidy. We do get a REAL holiday. You get to see other countries, beautiful beaches, friendly people, cheap duty free. It can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it. You only need to spend money on alcohol, tours and souveniers.

Once you tried one you'll want to do another. Try real hard to swing your DH around, he will have a ball.

Kerri.

Jenny,

I started cruising as soon as i left school at 18. I have done some wonderful cruises to many ports - 1 6 weeks going up thru Asia and Japan and back on the Oriana(now retired) in about 85., met some wonderful friends and still are. one is godmother to my daughter. When I got married I didn't think my husband would like cruising as his interests are quite different to mine. After many years we decided to do a cruise when our son was 9 and daughter 7. We have never looked back and about every 18 mths when I get the money saved up we go. We have just come off the Sun and our children are now 16 & 14. we never seen them for the whole trip except for dinner. We had a very relaxing time as said before you can do as little or as mich as you want. My husband and I don't even spend all our tile together. he usually does his own thing during the day and we do togehter or apart it doesn't matter as there are plenty of people to talk to and different things to do. I love the part of unpacking and not living out of a suitcase. Also to be waited on with no cooking etc as previously mentioned. The different places you go to shows just how "the other half live" I agree I really dont like Noumea either. we never went this last trip which was wonderful but we went to 4 islands we had never been to before and enjoyed all of them.

Probably my favourite palces would be Champagne Bay, Wala, Vila, Isle of Pines, Mystery Island and Lifou. Unfortunately Sth Pacific cruises are not longer than 13 days max. Not long enough for me. Does that tell you something? We have only been back a week and are already looking at where we can go next when we get the money together

narelle

Jenny,

Hi, cruising is easy, hassle free fun. It really depends a lot on yourself to determine exactly what type of cruise to have. It can be quiet, lazy deckchair time or activity packed. A cruise isn't anything if not variety and enjoyable social interaction to whatever extent you want, i.e. quite private romantic time or full on party meeting lots of people, music, drinking and dancing etc.

The Ports are truely beautiful and if you like beaches you simply won't find better snorkelling anywhere.

A cruise is something quite unique in that you don't get jetlagged, however each morning you wake up somewhere else. Yes some people do suffer sea sickness and the wise step is to be prepared with patches or whatever else medication you may need but most likely wont. Apart from that it is almost difficult to have a bad time. You will get out of a cruise what you put in.

The food is simply sensational and doesn't come from your own kitchen with no washing up afterwards :)

I don't know what sort of a person you are but as a family there really is so much for each of us to enjoy on different levels means happy kids, happy Mum (no workload for once) and happy Dad !

Hi Jenny, Cruising is the best relaxing holiday you can have. No need to worry about unpacking, housework, washing up. No need to worry about driving home after a couple of glasses of wine. My husband and I are ballroom dancers so the best thing we like about cruising is after dinner going to one of the live bands and dancing the night and our dinner away :) I get very bad seasickness but it doesn't stop me from enjoying myself. Drugs are good!! Gayle

Archived