Looking for cruisers aboard Sun or Dream

Gabrielle R.

Hello! I am looking at taking the Sun or the Dream During Christmas 2006. My DH and I have never cruised with NCL, and we have some questions. We like meeting new people at dinner- How does it work when you go to dinner- is it like the open sitting in the dining room at Breakfast and lunch aboard RCCL or Celebrity? Has any of you cruised at Christmas? How was that? What did you like? Dislike? I noticed that Dawn visits Cancun and Cozumel the same day? How does that work? I understand that the stop is for people who want to go to Tulum. Has anyone done this tour? How do you get back to the ship? I've been wanting to go to Tulum for awhile. Dream goes to Houston- how hard is it to get to the port? Sun is to leave New Orleans- I really wonder about that. Saw an earlier post saying as much. Thanks for any advice you can send my way. Gabrielle

You have lots of questions.......

The port in Houston is at Barbour's Cut. It's on the east side of metropolitan Houston, where the Houston Ship Channel enters Galveston Bay. It's really easy to get to.

BarboursCut.jpg

Dinner is like dining ashore. It's open seating at the main restaurants. The speciality restaurants are small in comparison, and I highly suggest reserving a table for dinner at them for the nights you wish as soon as you get aboard.

I just recently cruised the week before Christmas on the Sun, and the Christmas decorations were mostly up. Check out the links in my signature below for photos.

The Dream will pull into Playa del Carmen, Calica pier, to offload passengers going on tours. After everyone has disembarked that wants to, the ship proceeds to Cosumel for the rest of the day. Those left behind have to take the 30-45 minute ferry to Cosumel that runs every hour to get back to the ship. The ship sold tours tickets will include the ferry fare. The ferry pier is just a short walk away from the cruise ship pier at Cosumel.

Next winter, the Sun and Dream will have different itineraries. Only ports they will have in common are Cosumel and Belize. Both have dropped Roatan. Instead, the Sun will stop at Costa Maya and Guatemala. The Dream heads for Progreso instead.

The Sun's itinerary looks more interesting to me, but the Dream's itinerary will be better to go to Tulum, although you'll probably be able to do so from Cosumel on the Sun. But with two ferry rides, you'll will not have that much time at Tulum if you're on the Sun. With either ship, you'll miss most of the day in Cosumel if you go to Tulum. Many consider Cosumel the jewel of the Western Caribbean, so it's a shame to miss out on it.

Go ahead and ask more questions when you wish.

Thanks for the great Pictures! I really enjoyed looking at them!

Does The Promenade deck goes all the way around the ship? And which deck is it on?

Been to Cozumel 4 times and just haven't gotten to Tulum yet. Thanks for the info on how Sun did that!

How were the kids on board ship? Do kids have a place to go? Or better is there an Adults only area? (Like RCCL has?)

Thanks for the help. The Sun Looks very nice did you like it? Thanks again! Gabrielle

I like it a lot, couldn't you tell?

The Promenade Deck goes all the way around the ship, but at the bow it is enclosed. It's Deck 6.

Kids are kids everywhere. If you need a break from them on the Sun, head for the Cigar Bar next to the Windjammer's Bar. There is a Kid's Crew area at the front of the ship.

Gabrielle, You say you like meeting new people at dinner. My husband and I cruised on the Dream last March. As we entered the dining room, we were asked if we wanted a table for two, or if we wanted to sit with others. Even though it's open dining, you will still have the opportunity to sit with others if you choose to do so. Enjoy!

Hi all..... The tree of us are going on the Dream for the second time, leaving the 25 of November '06.....maybe you would like to make this trip...as all the kids have to be back in school the next Monday...:) we thought it would be a good time for a holiday trip...We were on the lst trip out of Houston in '05 (Oct)...Of course the storms played with us and we missed a few ports...but we still enjoyed the Dream...so we are trying again....hope we make it this time.....

till we all sail again.....jus me...jim....the velvet teddy bear:cool:

Electricon, I could tell you liked the ship a lot!:) Always good to hear any kind of report.

JB, Yes, I would love to cruise between Thanksgiving and Christmas- the problem? I'm a teacher and my husband a janitor- neither of us can take off when we'd really like to! Perhaps when I retire I can do what I want, but I'm afraid I have another 20 years at least to do that. Unless of course I win the lottery! Guess I gotta play to win.....:rolleyes:

Thaks for all the info! Gabrielle

Archived