NCL Spirit w/child under 2- 1st time cruise

tjmuds

I'm hoping for some advice before booking our first cruise on the NCL Spirit the first week in April. We have a 10 yr old and a toddler who will be 23 mos at the time of the cruise. I know our 10 yr old will have a blast, but what can we do with our toddler during the 2 full 'days at sea'? I've talked to a very unhelpful travel agent from cruisesonly (general poor manners and lack of knowlege and willingness to give advice) who confirmed with NCL that he is too young for the toddler program, and we won't be able to use the kids rooms even if we stay with him. Another semi-helpful travel agent suggested over and over that we could take him to the buccaneer's wet and wild- but he is not potty trained (we can try to make that happen in the next few months, but it would be pushing it), so although I can't tell for sure from the pictures on the website- I'm assuming it would be a situation where he could only watch in frustration from the sidelines.

So my questions are, what have previous cruisers done with thier little ones on the ship? Is there enough to see and explore just 'walking around' the ship for a full day? Did you bring toys from home to play with? The travel agent just keeps saying 'you'll have a blast, you'll have a blast'- but I don't see trying to keep my toddler occupied all day in an 'adult' environment being very fun. Its not that my husband and I don't want to be 'stuck with him all day' (words this rude travel agent used) - we want to enjoy it with both our kids- with something to do other than sit in restraunts or watch other kids enjoy the facilities.

Also, when you check your child into the kids club, do they look at some type of list with thier dates of birth? The same agent who suggested the wet and wild area also said that he was only asked the child's age when he dropped his off, and there was no 'checking' involded. Do we chance trying to sneek him in- since he could pass as 2 even now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have heard that NCL does check the birth certificates. Therefore, if I were you, I would wait a month until the youngest child is 2 years of age. Then he or she would be able to join the kids crew programs, and enjoy the activities onboard except probably the pool since he or she isn't potty trained yet.

The other suggestion if you can't change the date of the cruise is not to enlist any of the kids in the programs, and as a family stick together doing activities together. Doing this the youngest won't feel left out....

Are you on the 4/2 Spirit sailing ? We are on that one....

My boys are older now but the first time we took my little one he was 8 months. He was too young for the kid's program but we still had fun. We spent a lot of time on the upper decks and he was able to crawl around and explore a bit.

I also took a blow up pool and used it on our balcony and within the kid's pool area. The waiters gave him some plastic cups and he was in heaven.

We also had a portable DVD and he was able to watch some of his favorites.

He liked getting a taste of anything he could off the buffet! You can stock up on cheerios and fruit there in the morning.

We went on the Spirit in 2004 when our son was 19 months old. He really enjoyed being in the Galaxy Lounge. He played with the fake ships wheel in the lounge. He was too young for the wet n' wild (but we were on an Alaska cruise). We also took him on walks around the decks and he enjoyed that. For the evenings, he really enjoyed the shows. We sat up in one of the 2nd level seats with a table so we could make a quick getaway if he got fussy. We also brought a few toys for him to play with in the cabin, but we didn't need many. Our son can easily entertain himself, so it was easy. If your almost 2 year old needs you to play with him/her, it might be a little difficult to keep him/her entertained.

We just returned from NCL Dawn 12/11,with our 3 dd's. They did not check birth certificates, but did have a list with the children's name and birthdate from registration papers. We spent alot of time in the kids pool and saw little ones in diapers asked to leave the water many times. As a mom of little kids, I felt for them and the parents. I would take children of any age on a cruise, and we have, but I must say we enjoyed this last cruise so much more. With the youngest now potty trained she spent hours at the kids pool, and this took alot of pressure of dh and I. The cruise before this we spent alot of time walking the decks and trying to keep her from wanting to join in all the fun. I'll be honest, it was hard! At 18months, they are old enough to want play in the water and its hard to tell them no. I had a hard time staying off the slides myself. Please don't think I'm telling you not to go, I'm not. On the Dawn they had a little play area with rides and a mother of four set a blow up on it. We also saw little ones playing by the ping-pong tables that went unused. Chasing balls around a deck on the beautiful ocean, and playing with the big chess pieces seemed to keep them very happy! Best Wishes, Janice

My husband and I are taking our 3 year old and our 20 month old boys on the Spirit next month 2/26/06. This will be our third cruise but our first one since we had children. Our expectations are different but we are excited. I'm thinking that we will hopefully find ways to entertain the little one. I read that the arcade is free so he'll probably enjoy looking at all of the lights and video games. Little ones love to watch people walk by on the the decks and I'm hoping that he'll enjoy watching the various entertainment throughout the ship. I thought that I read that a parent can accompany a child under two in parts of the children's facility. Maybe I'm wrong??

Thanks so much for all of you to take the time to give me some great ideas and honest feedback. It is greatly appreciated, since this is going to be our first time cruising and I have very little idea of what to expect (I've never seen a cruise ship other than from pictures and tv ads)!

We have a hold on our room until Friday-I'm thinking we may go for it, and if we do, I'll be sure to let others know how it went! Thanks again!

now We are 1st time criiser also but I thought I read that you can leave child with one of the programs as long as you came immediately when the diaper needed a changing...We are also on the April 2 sailing deck 11 sorry my boys are 10 and 13...but we hope to see you there...happy sailing!!!:)

I'm in the same predicament with my son, who'll be 22 months when we plan to cruise this summer. I'm glad to read the idea about bringing a blow up pool. At least it's something! We'd try to wait until after his 2nd b-day at end of July, but I'm weary about hurricane season. I plan to bring some toys, and with help from his G'ma and G'pa, I hope he'll be entertained!

Good luck. I'm sure it'll work out fine, as long as you go into it knowing you'll have to work a little harder to entertain him. Things always have a way of seeming more difficult and challenging before the fact, and then after, don't seem as bad as you had anticipated.:)

Archived