Prices in Ship's Liquor Store

jabbo

We are sailing on the Glory this Saturday. We have not sailed on Carnival in a while. How are the prices in the ship's liquor store now? The last time we sailed it was on the Fantasy and they had some good prices. We purchased quite a bit to bring home with us. Do the prices on different ships vary? Could someone post who has sailed lately and priced the liquor on the Glory? Thanks.

We have a 3 page thread of people who are on the 4/10/04 sailing of the Glory
It is under the post
Easter week on the Gory (wrong spelling of glory)
we will be meeting on Monday at 3:00 in the bar On The Green sports bar come and meet with us also cheek out the posts on that page
Vinman

1990 RCCL SONG OF NORWAY
1992 RCCL NORDIC PRINCE
1996 HOLLAND NEIW AMSTERDAM
1997 CARNIVAL INSPERATION
2004 CARNIVAL GLORY
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Jabbo, keep in mind that the new limit for duty-free liquor is 1 liter per person. Duty on liquor over 1 liter is approx. $2.50 per liter. It has generally been the practice, though for the US Customs officers not to charge passengers if the total duty is under $10.

We were told that the ship had the best prices for liquor but that was not always the case. Carnival advertises that if you show them proof that there was a cheeper price for liquor at any of the islands, just show them proof and they will refund the difference. It can be difficult to get proof, though. Those that provided proof did, in fact, get refunded the difference.

Disney Wonder - 12/99
Celebrity Mercury - 3/01
Carnival Victory - 1/03
Carnival Legend - 3/04

3/28 Carnival Legend
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;3;28;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I was able to find Sheridan's in St Maarten for $5 less than onboard ship. I had already purchased a bottle onboard (the last one they had!) and wanted more so I bought one in SXM. I showed the receipt to the duty-free store manager and received a credit on my S&S account the next day.

[B]Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas[/B]

[img]http://www.curlingzone.com/forums/images/imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg[/img]

[img]http://sympatico.animfactory.com/animations/music/misc/bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif[/img]

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:
Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Well, we bought 2 HUGE bottles of Crown Royal for $30 for both. Considering they are that much a piece in the states for the size we got, we felt that was a great deal. Their Malibu Rum 1 liter was like $11.95 and the Captain Morgans Rum 1 liter was about $13.95. Not only were the bottles HUGE, but they were cheaper than the smaller prices here.

Good luck and happy sailing!

Stef

Fantasy February 2004
Looking for my next cruise! WHOOO HOOO!

Jabbo,

You didn't mention where you are going, that can be a significant factor.

I just returned from the Triumph Eastern Carribean. Stop 1, San Juan PR. Only reason to get off the ship is to buy cheap rum - Barcardi was around 6.95 a fifth, 8.95 a liter. And since PR is a US Commonwealth, US Citizens can buy as much as they want. Non-rum liquors are cheaper than in the US, but not as cheap as in the next 2 stops.

Stop 2, St. Thomas. Since St. Thomas is part of the US Virgin Islands, the limit is 5 liters [B]plus[/B] a liter made in the US Virgin Islands. Prices are very good - they had a "3-liter special" on Kahlua and the other products made by the same company - $27 for 3. Considering a full liter of Kahlua here in TN will cost more than $27, a great deal.

Cheapest prices were in St. Maarten, where I picked up a fifth of Godiva Chocolate Liquer for $12.95. Duty-free limit in St. Maarten is one liter per person, although as a previous poster said, I understand that customs will look the other way if you're only a couple of liters over. Too much paperwork to be worth charging you $5!

So I brought home 9 bottles of booze - 2 from PR, 6 from St. Thomas, and 1 from St. Maarten. Good thing DH was along to tote the 6-bottle box from AH Riise!

Of course, if you're going Western or Southern Caribbean, this doesn't help...

-Melissa

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;3;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Since 3/27/04 Carnival Triumph EC

Archived