cruising with toddler

tjmuds

Hi- I've posted on the NCL board but also wanted to check here hoping to find some creative parents....

Any suggestions for what to do on 'days at sea' with a 23 mos old- just shy of qualifying for the kids program? He's still in swim diapers so the pool is out. We've never been on a cruise before and still not quite sure what to expect (as much as I've been pouring over these posts)....

Should we wait? We also have a 10yr old and have been considering a cruise (1st time) mostly for his enjoyment (Those RCCL commercials worked on him!)- I'm thinking the rest of us would be just as happy sitting on a beach somewhere- but are willing to try something new.

It looks like the cruise will be more expensive if we wait until summer, which is when we could take advantage of the kids club with NCL, and won't have to take our older son out of school.....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hi, No experience on NCL in particular, but we took our daughter on Grand Princess at 21 months old in 2001. We explored the ship, watched the ocean, went to the kids centre - they let her use the centre so long as a parent stayed with her at all times (maybe NCL will allow the same?), on some ships I've read here that kids in swim diapers ARE allowed to use the kiddie splash pools next to the kids areas so maybe NCL has something similar? Our daughter really liked the elevator lobbies - watching the glass elevators go up and down - so we'd grab a beverage and sit someplace right near her and she'd watch while we'd read, relax, chat, whatever. Not the greatest for us (we'd split up sometimes so one could sit by the pool or whatever and we'd take turns with her). BUT it was nice to just relax and enjoy what she was doing, watch her, etc. Of course meals took awhile too!!

We cruised with our daughter last year when she was 22 months, just shy of the program.

We were on Carnival.

We did the shows - game shows, etc. My daughter enjoyed watching.

We also bought a 2 dollar blow up pool, only big enough for 2 kids, and about 6 inches of water, very small, takes up no space, etc.

We brought it up to the deck with the kids pools, filled it with pool water and let her splash around.

We cleared it with the boat first, they were fine with it. We also made sure we only used it where the kids pools were, so as not to inconvenience any of the other travelers. It worked great. We had other kids come over and join her and she had a blast!

We've cruised with our two kids when they were 1 & 3, and, most recently, when they were 5 & 7. While we had lots of fun both times, I would say that we got more out of the cruise and enjoyed ourselves more when the kids were older and had their own activities. As infants and toddlers, you have to deal with diapers, strollers, naps, etc. etc. There is exponentially more flexibility (and thus you get more fun and bang for your buck) when they are just a bit older. Just my 2 cents. :)

sorry to tag on to your question but the responses made me nerveous. Our oldest is 3 and our youngest is shy of 2 by two weeks (from the cruise date) . We are TOTALLY assuming that she will be ok to go to camp carnival - even for a few hours a day. But after reading this I am worried they will be sticklers and not let her in. AND then our 3 year old wont go on her own?

Any advice, ideas, comments?:(

Thanx in advance!

But after reading this I am worried they will be sticklers and not let her in. AND then our 3 year old wont go on her own?

Any advice, ideas, comments?:(

from everything understand that 2 year old cutoff is absolute and they will have her exact birthdate from her birth certificate or passport.

You will be able to use the evening babysitting starting at 10pm and the In port babysitting (usually available in the mornings.)

thanks for the info. We are calling carnival today to figure something out. Our agent was told - now we need to confirm and get a name - that is we pay the fee of 2 year old rate OR pay $6 an hour we can leave her there with her sister.

All I want is 2-3 hours in the sun to read with no kids. So if we can great. If we cant then at least I now know this before I go.

Ill be cruising with a toddler this coming August. My youngest will turn 2 Aug 13. We specifically waited until she will be 2 to cruise with her. We are going on Carnival,and they accept them as young as 2 and not pottytrained(I hope that hasnt changed:confused: )Our Cruise leaves Aug 20 so my youngest will most definitely be 2. I have heard they are strict as well with the age thing in the childrens rooms.

Carnival does take kids 2 and above, even if not potty trained.

They do not make any exceptions. (Our agent told us last year that since our daughter was only 2 months shy that she could get in. That was not the case).

They do offer babysitting for a charge, but it is only on certain days and times. Usually at night, and if you are at on of the ports.

T

We cruised on the Carnival Conquest w/our 18 month old son last year. On days @sea, we would take him to the playroom (Carnival had "under 2 time" on sea days from 12-2pm). He would stay and play the whole time (w/us present). He also liked to be outside seeing the ocean, etc, so we spent time outside. And he likes music and shows, so anyone playing music he would listen to, etc. And he likes to sit in the atrium and watch the glass elevators.

We had a wonderful trip traveling w/him. Keep in mind...this was a family trip, so we had the whole extended family w/us, including both sets of grandparents. That helps a lot!!

In 2004, we took our children (then 6, 5 and 23 months) on the Carnival Conquest. It was after Labor Day, so there were not a ton of children on board and they still had a full staff of CC counselors.

The CC director told us that, since there were limited children on board and other siblings in CC, that they would observe him for the first day and see how he did. If he acclimated, they would allow him into the program for the remainder of the cruise.

He did acclimate, they accepted him and all was good. We consider ourselves lucky that this happened, because I've heard many stories of children very close to their 2nd birthday, no allowed to participate in CC due to strict enforcement.

Anway, the purpose of my post isn't to prove others wrong. It's to offer you a bit of encouragement if this is the only date that works for you.

A nice little advance tip and a gracious attitude goes along way with CC counselors. You'd be surprised how many parents treat them badly. If they know you're not going to use and abuse them, they can be very accomodating. I think CC is the best program.

Sorry, I tried to edit my previous post, but the system is so crazy that it took longer than 20 minutes to get it to work and wouldn't allow an edit.

After reading other's posts, I lost sight of the fact that you're going on NCL, nor Carnival. Sorry.

Hopefully, the post is still somewhat helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Our girl went on her first cruise on 23 months on Carnival. We didn't ask if she could be in the program as it seemed clear the month would be a sticking point. We did go to the orientation which was a little party and she had fun. The rest of the time, we explored the ship with her and took her to one of the shows. It was only a three-day cruise to Baja, which seemed a perfect length. Because she enjoyed herself, and because we saw how easy a cruise can be, even with little ones, she's gone with us on all of our subsequent cruises. She just went on her sixth cruise at age 8, a 15-day cruise.

here's what I hope is a helpful hint to traveling with little ones. If you're flying in, try to get into the departure port a day early. Then go to a grocery store, Target, Walmart, etc. (you can yahoo the addresses before you leave; also check out addresses for Target and Walmart on their websites) and buy the essentials: diapers, pullups, sippy cups, juice boxes, etc. That way you only have to fly with a small (and emergency) supply. But make sure you have that padding of time.

Archived