Barbados Help!!!!

Sue L

Hey All,

We are going on the Destiny in 35 days and are unsure on what to do on the island. I am very into handicrafts and such and thought the mahogany factory ( flavor of barbados tour)would be nice. Has anyone been there? Is it worth it. Last year we were in Roatan and they had beautiful (2 x 4 foot) wall carvings with birds, flowers and such carved into the mahogany and it is one of my biggest regrets that I did not get one. The tour sounds good, but I don't want to waste the day if it is just little knicknack stuff. Any info would be great!

thanks in advance

Sue

Not for nothing but you just posted a question on the same subject matter about a half-hour ago. You may want to head on over to the Ports of Call forum as that is likely where your two threads will end up once a moderator returns to the scene to weed through this afternoon's threads.

I love Barbados for the sea, flying fish, and sea turtles so unfortunately can't offer any insight into shopping; however, I wish you well in your planning and time on Barbados.

Hey All,

We are going on the Destiny in 35 days and are unsure on what to do on the island. I am very into handicrafts and such and thought the mahogany factory ( flavor of barbados tour)would be nice. Has anyone been there? Is it worth it. Last year we were in Roatan and they had beautiful (2 x 4 foot) wall carvings with birds, flowers and such carved into the mahogany and it is one of my biggest regrets that I did not get one. The tour sounds good, but I don't want to waste the day if it is just little knicknack stuff. Any info would be great!

thanks in advance

Sue

Sue,

Made contact with a fellow named Keith from Barbados, asked him about shopping and actual, made-on-the-island items. This was his reply:

"Yes the pelican village is there on your left hand side when you exit the port and walk about 50 metres. I had a friend who use to work from there...her name is Ichia(pronounce I-esha). We have lost touch so I am not sure if she works from there anymore.

You will definitely get handcrafted items. I know for a fact all the crafts people there make all their items themselves by hand!!"

The name of the thread on the Barbados site is Hero's Day. I'll be in contact again with Keith when we get closer to our cruise in April. Look there for updates. (Oops. Just realized that you're sailing in less than 5 weeks). The Barbados site has lots of great tips. Be sure to check it out.

Hey All,

thanks in advance

Sue

Hi Sue,

as bbiggar suggests there is a 4x4 tour that is pretty nice and one of the stops is a place that makes pottery and you actually get a tour of the place(its not that big) and you get to see part of the process of the pot making.

There is a place(which I don't believe is part of any official tour) which sells some excellent handcrafted mahogany items. I am not sure if I can mention the name on here so if you are interested let me know and I will provide you with the info via another forum.

Do you know what the name of the pottery place is that gives the tours. Can you buy the pottery? Very interesting

Hi Perky,

The name of the place is Chalky Mount Potteries and yes you can buy the pottery. That is one of the major reasons it is one of the stops in the tour.;)

It is not actually a tour unto itself...it is a stop on the 4x4 tour of the island.

Enjoy your visit to the island

My wife and I visited Chalky Mount Potteries when we visited Barbados in December. We rented a car for the day and managed to locate the owner's studio which is actually a room off of his home. We bought some pottery from him and got several pics of him and his work. The studio is off the beaten path.

Archived