Scuba diving

sw18

As a relative SS newbie (one week in Europe calling at some great, but definitely non diving, ports) I was wondering whether any scuba diving based excursions are likely to be offered on a Caribbean intinerary. We have a day (8-5) in Castries & a half day in St Johns (8-2), & would like to try & get some underwater time in if possible before our crossing to Lisbon in April.

Even if any non-divers can remember if any such excursions I would be grateful, thanks in advance :) :)

I spent a lot of time researching this for a cruise last year.

Your best bet is to check the PADI, NAUI, and SSI sites for local dive shops at each port.

The most critical issue is arrival times vs. dive trip departure. In almost every case the two didn't work out. Even when the dive trip leaves at 9 and the ship dock at 8, you might not get off the ship until it's too late.

There are several other cruise lines, bigger than SS but smaller than the mega ships that have diving shore excursions. SS's clientele don't, for the most part, dive. Theoretically the concierge on the ship could arrange dives but I'd rather do it myself.

If I had my dry-suit cert I could have gone diving in Scapa Flow this past August, the timing would have worked.

Try Seadream. We love the more casual atmosphere on the Caribbean cruises. In addition to island excursions, and beaches, they offer diving for those who are certified. If you go to their web sight, find the itineraries, and click on port info, you can find some detailed information.

Sea-hawk

Try Seadream. We love the more casual atmosphere on the Caribbean cruises. In addition to island excursions, and beaches, they offer diving for those who are certified. If you go to their web sight, find the itineraries, and click on port info, you can find some detailed information.

Sea-hawk

And even if they don't offer one, contact the shore excursion office as soon as you embark, and they'll arrange diving trips for you. We had them arrange for a private all day snorkeling trip in Phuket, and a snorkeling in Falafat. A fellow passenger had them arrange for diving in Red Sea. You should have no problem. As I remember they just asked us to pay the operator direct - in other words no additional fee for SS for their pain. I thought it's very nice of them.

The tour desk and/or concierge has always been very willing to arrange dives for me on Silversea and Radisson as a complementary service. They will email and get conditions at upcoming ports and give a few options on dive companies whom they arrange to pick you up. Usually I just pay the dive company directly for the charges for the dive. be sure to take your PADI card.

Make sure the dive company knows when you need to be back before you get on a boat. Silversea put me on a dive boat in November in Egypt that wasn't planning to return until 7pm...after the ship left! We had to have a speed boat pick me up from the dive ship but all ended well.

cheers,

Kent

Archived