Turtle Farm- best transportation?

sweety

We're going next week :D with 2 daughters - ages 3 and 7, and would like to do the Turtle Farm and then spend some beach time. Our ship (Legend) is in port from 9 to 5. What would be the best transportation for us to use?

From what I've read, it seems that a taxi would cost $40 EACH WAY, which seems a little steep.

Renting a car would only be $45 for the day, but takes time to get it. However, it would give us more flexibility, especially if we decided to drive to a less crowded beach area. But is it appropriate for the amount of time we have?

The bus is cheap, but doesn't go near the port.

Anybody have any advice?

Actually, the bus terminal is only a couple of block inland from where the tenders dock in Georgetown and I'm pretty sure one does go to the turtle farm. A bus would be the least expensive way to go.

Just so you know, the Turtle Farm is just that a farm where turtles are raised as a product, similar to how pigs are raised as a product at a pig farm. The turtle farm is just that, a FARM, not a zoo. Yes, they do release a few turtles back into the wild, but the primary purpose of the farm is to supply turtle meat to the island.

Some people choose to visit there without knowing the actual purpose of the farm and are quite disappointed. I'm not saying you shouldn't go, just that you should know what to expect.

Have a great time what ever you end up doing.

We just got back this week from there and would love to email photo's. It was really neat. 18 adults on our trip and we thought it was cool. It's just a small place but where else can you go and see 70-80 year old turtles (breeding stock) and 100's of 1-2 year old turtles. you can hold!!! Your kids should love the experience. 1/3 are used for consumption 1/3 for breading and research 1/3 are purchased for $5 each to be released in the wild. Island tours are available for $20 each. However, if your kids haven't been to stingray sandbar, nativeway offers a combo tour (nativeway.com). Good luck and have fun.:p

From the website of the Turtle Farm:

What do you do with all those turtles?

About 60% of each year's hatchlings are raised to 3 - 4 years of age to be processed for food that is sold locally (a national delicacy). Out of these, 1 to 2% are kept to become future breeders instead of food. The remaining 40% are released into the ocean when they are around one year old. This "headstarting" gives the turtles a better chance of survival.

That said, release numbers took a serious dip in the last few years. The Cayman Turtle Farm was seriously impacted in November 2001 by Hurricane Michelle. Many of the adult breeding stock were lost when several of the tanks were breeched by the storm. Since that time the farm has cut the number of released turtles in an effort to increase the breeding stock.

As has been said, it is a farm. Proceeds from the sale of the turtle meat as well as gate admissions and gift shop sales keep the place running.

We were in Grand Cayman a year ago and rode the bus up the 7-mile beach to do some snorkeling. When we exited the pier in Georgetown, I believe we crossed the street and headed left to the public library a.k.a. bus station. It was not a long walk. The folks in charge ask if you want to go East or West, you hop on the right bus, pay your fare (I think it was $2), and you are on your way. We headed West, and I remember that the bus did stop at the Turtle Farm.

The buses are mini-vans with fold-down seats, and the service is very laid-back (at times my husband was operating the side door for passengers to enter or exit). When you want to get off or on, you just alert or flag down the bus driver. I enjoyed the ride because it saved us a lot of $$$ and also gave us a chance to interact with the local people.

Archived