Lower Pricer Question

Cruisegirl70

I booked my cruise last summer and been watching fares which I noticed may be lower. I originally booked an ocean view but a few weeks later call and asked for a balcony which I paid the extra price. A few month later I got an upgrade offer for a spa balcony and I took it. But which price am I using to compare the original room, the balcony I asked to be moved to, or my upgraded one? I have never really been in this situation before and was confused. Also what happens if you have paid the cruise in full vs still paying off deposit? I have several cruises booked so I am watching multiple fares. I am thinking you still get the credit if paid in full but it becomes onboard credit???

Edited by Cruisegirl70
Addition

Yes, you would try to price-match to your current fare (same category, spa balcony in this case). 

Whether you get a reduction in your amount due or an on-board credit depends on whether final payment due date has passed.  If it's still before final payment due date, they will reduce your balance (or refund your credit card if you paid in full early).  After final payment due date, you will get on-board credit if eligible, but whether you are eligible depends on what fare you booked under.  Early Saver is the only fare where you get reductions after final payment due date (up to 2 days prior to sailing) in the form of on-board credit.  Other fares can be price-matched before final payment due date (basically because there is no penalty for cancellation prior to final payment and you could just cancel and re-book at the new lower rate--which they usually don't require you to do--they just give you the difference as a courtesy).

Always log in with your VIFP number and do a mock booking all the way to selecting a cabin in your exact same category, and then compare just the cruise fare (minus port fees and taxes).  There must be a cabin available in your exact category.  Once the category is sold out, there is no price to compare to, so no reductions, but keep an eye out in case one comes open due to cancellations or someone upgrading. 

That's the basic run-down, but there are some other subtleties that I didn't mention for last-minute and more restrictive fares, which it doesn't sound like you're booked under. 

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!