Glacier Marital hike or tierra del fuego NP via end of the world train for ushuaia

highlands1234

Just wanted to get peoples opinion on what they thought was a better activity for Ushuaia between those 2 options. We enjoy hiking and it seems like it would be easy to do the glacier hike with a short cab ride from the port, but also seems like you would see diverse natural landscapes with the train (but with less time for hiking). 

Nevermind, I just looked at google maps and followed the tracks and realized the whole train ride from Tren del fin Mundo to Estacion Tierra del Fuego NP is only like 3 miles. Doesnt seem worth ~$31 IMO, when you can walk that same distance on the road in 45 minutes(not that we would just pointing out what a short distance it is). 

I don't recall a glacier hike as being an option, but we could have just eliminated it as a choice early on.  It sounds like it would be interesting.

I was a bit disappointed in Tierra del Fuego.  Maybe I was expecting too much, but we hiked 9 miles over 3 trails, and, while the hikes were nice, most of the scenery was about the same as if I were hiking in the woods at home.  I'm guessing you would see similar views from the train, so I think you're making a good choice to forego that ride.

Fred,

Thats what I was thinking from the photosphere and google map photos I was able to pull up. 

Gayle,

Thanks for the suggestion. The lake looks beautiful and seems like a fairly easy hike. Sounds like you can catch a shuttle to the trailhead for cheap somewhere downtown I guess? Based on the review link you gave, I think I am leaning towards this hike, unless it rains, in which case it sounds like it might be pretty muddy and then the drier option might be the glacier Marital.