Need Help with FL Hotel-Is is a Mistake?

psklak

My husband and I are coming into FLL on 3/17 to cruise out on the 18th. As of now, we have booked the Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port at 1800 S Federal Hwy. I have been searching these boards for any info on this hotel with no luck so far. We will not have a car for the single night. This hotels offer shuttle airport-hotel-port. The airport to hotel is important but not the hotel to port - we can grab a cab. Can I get some opinions? What about walkable eating spots? Please Help!!!

I have not read or heard any negatives about the property, perhaps Trents can offer some insight. You are however within walking distance to all that 17th Street has to offer, restaurants, grocery store, liquor stores, shops etc. ;)

I can't remember the address, but a couple of years ago my husband and I stayed in a comfort inn in fort lauderdale that offered both airport and port shuttle. It was a clean room for the night. The shuttles were both great and they also had a wonderful breakfast buffet that was complimentary. There were plenty of stores and restraunts within walking distance. We would definitely stay there again.:)

The Comfort Inn's here have gone dramatically down hill lately... The Comfort Suites the OP is asking about on Federal Hwy. isn't in a bad location. It's a bit of a walk to the stores and restaurants on SE 17th Street, but it's doable. There are a lot of fast food places right around it though. I would only consider it a hotel of absolute last resort though, it's not a very nice place. If you do stay there get a room on the east side, the west side is practically ON Federal Hwy., and is quite noisy! Here are some Trip Advisor reviews... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d84432-Reviews-Comfort_Suites_Airport_Cruise_Port-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Comfort Suites Davie seems to be in better condition, but it's in the wrong direction of the port and airport, and is in a rather isolated area with only a Shoney's around it.

Laura, you probably stayed at the Comfort Inn on Stirling Road in Hollywood. It USED to be a decent place, but has gotten really BAD lately. Trust me, that place has some serious problems now of many kinds, and you do NOT want to stay there again! :eek:

Cruisin Aunt - If you're looking for a budget hotel close to both the port and airport I'd go with either Extended Stay America or Holiday Inn Express "Convention Center". Those are both very nice places less than 10 minutes from FLL, a block from Port Everglades, and surrounded by dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug & liquor stores as well as the very popular Water Taxi all within safe, easy walking distance.

Extended Stay America... http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fort-lauderdale-convention-center-marina.html

Holiday Inn Express "Convention Center"... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

I remember reading some less than stellar reviews of this place recently, but for one night to sleep, I wouldn't be that concerned.

The best thing about this place is it's right across the street from one of my favorite places. Ernie's Barbeque. You'll think you're in Key West already. Specialties are Conch Chowder and Bimini Bread. Lots of big, cold drinks. The barbeque really isn't that great, but the sauce is so good you could drink it.

I've stayed at the Riverside Hotel more than a few times in Ft. Lauderdale before and after a cruise. It has been remodeled recently, and the newer section of the hotel is really nice. It's located on East Las Olas Blvd. which is jam packed with great restaurants and shops all within walking distance. We stayed there one night before we boarded the ship...and we had so much fun, that we changed hotels to stay at the Riverside AFTER our trip. Check out their site for more details http://www.riversidehotel.com. We took a cab from the airport to the hotel and we took a cab to the ship. Everything is very close by. Bon Voyage!

To all that responded to my query re: Comfort Suites (Airport and Cruiseport) on S Federal Hwy, thank you. After reading all the responses and going to trip advisor review (thank you TrentS) we decided to change. We were able to get the Holiday Inn Express for a fairly decent price. Thanks again!

We just stayed at the HIEX Convention Center 12/26/05 and found it to be very nice. When we got up on the 27th there were two semi's parked in the driveway unloading brand new mattresses and box springs for the hotel. We asked and they were changing all the rooms!!!

Archived