Awesome day in Trinidad with Gio's Cuba Photo Tours

SteveGT3

Our cruise had a scheduled overnight stop in Cienfuegos, and my wife and I wanted to take advantage of our time there to also visit Trinidad, a UNESCO World Heritage site, which people said is a “must-see” if you are visiting the southern coast of Cuba.

After reading many internet forum postings and online reviews, I wanted to book our tour of Trinidad with Gio's Cuba Photo Tours. Gio was already booked on our first day in Cienfuegos, but we were fortunate that he was available for our second (and last) day in Cienfuegos, so we booked our tour a week or so before leaving for our cruise.

Even though he lives in Trinidad (which was a huge plus), Gio and his driver met us directly outside of the Cienfuegos ship terminal. It's an hour+ ride each way between Cienfuegos & Trinidad. My wife and I, Gio and the driver did the trip to Trinidad in a nice air-conditioned taxi that was owned by the driver. Gio arranged the transportation and the cost is included in his fee. While the vintage cars in Cuba are a great experience, riding in a newer (and cool) car for a long ride was a much nicer option. The ride back/forth was very pretty and Gio talked almost all the way to Trinidad. He told us about may of the places we were driving through and gave us a fascinating account of his and his family’s life in Cuba. It was a very interesting ride!

Trinidad was interesting and a nice city to walk around in. We had a great time with Gio who took us places in Trinidad that the ship's excursion buses would not go to or know about, such as a brick factory, an old railway station and yard where we met a very nice old man, who used to run the train station and was a train engineer for many years. He was very interesting, and we spent some enjoyable time talking with him and viewing some historical notes he has accumulated on train service in Trinidad and the rest of Cuba. In addition to this stop, we visited a shop that made beautiful pottery products, a new microbrewery and we rode or walked through many of the streets in Trinidad, with Gio providing excellent commentary and insight almost continuously. We stopped for a quick cool drink and snack at a very nice local outdoor restaurant before taking the ride back to Cienfuegos, where Gio dropped us off at the ship terminal.

All in all, it was a delightful day and I highly recommend Gio’s Cuba Photo Tours to anyone that wants an insider’s tour of Trinidad.

• Thanks 1