Shopping in Belize?

gojo

Is thee alot of shopping in Belize or is there mch to do? should we book a excusion to stay busy? We are only there ariubd 5 hours on Princess.

There is some shopping at the port and then at an area outside of the port, but the majority of items outside of the port that we noticed were wood-based products. I'd recommend a tour as there will be time to shop afterwards and there are plenty of excellent tours to choose from in Belize.

I was told to book an excursion in Belize due to the fact that it is more of a drop off place for the excurions and that you don't really want to be wandering around there on your own. I was reminded that it is a third world country and you may not feel safe on your own.

I was told to book an excursion in Belize due to the fact that it is more of a drop off place for the excurions and that you don't really want to be wandering around there on your own. I was reminded that it is a third world country and you may not feel safe on your own.

I actually felt safer in Belize than another foreign port I've visited while on a cruise or even land vacation. I actually left the tourist village to shop, and although I was approached by many to purchase tours, I was never harrassed in any way. In addition, when I said "no thank you" or "you don't have what I'm looking for" I was always thanked by the locals for visiting. In fact, I've never felt so welcomed and been thanked so many times as I was in Belize.

That being said, use common sense. We left our jewelry on the ship, didn't carry anything excessive, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually felt safer in Belize than another foreign port I've visited while on a cruise or even land vacation. I actually left the tourist village to shop, and although I was approached by many to purchase tours, I was never harrassed in any way. In addition, when I said "no thank you" or "you don't have what I'm looking for" I was always thanked by the locals for visiting. In fact, I've never felt so welcomed and been thanked so many times as I was in Belize.

That being said, use common sense. We left our jewelry on the ship, didn't carry anything excessive, etc.

We just returned as well, and did frommers.com walking tour of Belize City. It is a huge contrast between the opulence of the ship and the real world of the city, but we wanted to see some of Belize since we had never been there. The walk from the dock to the lighthouse, to the cathedral and back was about 1.5 hours and probably a couple miles.

I'll probably go to the caye next time.

Archived