Youth on QM2

safy

We have reserved a QM2 inside for the Hawaii trip. We have taken 7 Carnival cruises and love them. Our teenage boys have been thrilled with them. My question: Are their teenagers aboard? Will mine get bored? We are not "high class" people, just down-to-earth who really want to go to Hawaii and this is our only week to do it. My son (14) loves to dress up but never has a chance. He has jeans (which I think are outlawed!), and we would need to buy him new clothes. I would need to buy a tux, and the wife one more evening gown. Are we out of our leagues? Would we be frowned upon? Honesty would be helpful and not hurtful! Larry

Larry,

If your sons can act like gentlemen and not hooligans, they are most assuredly welcome. It has nothing to do with money/class or other such issues. It has to do with being able to act appropriately. I am sure you saw selfish innappropriate behavior coming from some on Carnival. I'm also sure you saw well-behaved children and teenagers who were a reflection of their proper upbringing (I don't mean snooty, able to tell which polo team is better. I mean they have learned manners and that they are not the center of the universe.)

Last year on HAL, I saw kids running around, knocking stuff over on the tables inthe Lido, being unmindful of others, shooting straw wrappers at each other and just being pains. They didn't care if they bumped into people or disturbed others. Their "fun" was the only thing that mattered, and to hell with everyone else.

If the 14 year old likes to dress, chances are he likes to act in a more refine manner, too. It kinda goes with the territory. I don't think you'll see kids playing nerfball in the corridors. Neither do I think they will be bored. Are they the kind who expect to be entertained? Or do they grab a book, watch the sea, take in the planetarium show or a lecture, or wander the ship, photographing things and reading the wall murals. I would have had a marvelous time on Cunard as a teenager- And just I'm just the average person. Im not rich, and I didn't come from money. But my parents taught me manners. I'm far from perfect, and sometimes impulsive, but I woudl never knowingly tread on others' rights. There probably won't be a lot of kids that age on board, but then, I don't know who might be on a Hawaii trip. There are some sort of video games on board. I didn't see them, as I don't play, but I saw signs to them. There are board games and trivia contests and jigsaw puzzles out. Some teens don't mind playing with adults- say, bridge, or other card games. I did so, as a kid and young adult. You know your own kids better than any of us here. It's not "The Fun Ships" but I have always had a marvelous time. I could just sit and watch the people, the sea, read a book, meet new people and learn about their culture or lives.

I think folks are sort of afarid to answer this question. It is hard to make judgements on someone else's kids, and many people think theirs are flawless.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you have a great time.

If you want to talk b/c, (and I understand- it's a sensitive subject.)

I can be reached at parrothead-av8r@mindspring.com

Karie,

Who wishes she had more time to just sit and read! And meet more people, and watch the sea, and go out exploring, and..... well, you know!

Hope this gives you some guidance!

Larry - we took our 15yr lad and 12yr girl with us on a Transatlantic crossing in November. Now, we live a very casual life in remote australia - for example my lad has only ever worn a tie once in his life, never a jacket, never owned a pair of black leather shoes and only worn shorts and jeans - its just not cool at home! He voiced opposition to "dressing the part" but - we kited him out at minimal expense and...he entered into the whole spirit with such gusto we were left open mouthed. He loved the tux and all the gear - helped along the first night by a mature aged american lady saying in the lift how wonderful it was to see Father and Son so beautiful turned out and how handsome the son looked (what about the father I thought) and from then on we just went from strength to strength - he loved it and strutted his stuff and played it to the max - it was great to see.

As to onboard activities - for both of them there was never a dull moment, despite only a handful of kids their age on board. The lad organised himself to see all the planatarium shows, oxford lectures, work out in the gym, pool and lord knows what else, we hardly saw him during the day. Jeans for him during the day didn't present a problem. Our girl did a lot through kids zone and similarly was fully occupied.

Obviously it depends on your kids and only you can know, but if they are competent with a reasonable amount of self assuredness, good common sense and manners (not as the little darlings behave at home but as they said to us - "we know have to behave when we are out!") you should have no worries.

Do it - and never, never feel out of your league - you should all have a ball. (The only poor behaviour I saw on board was from much older people who should have known better but thats another story!)

Ian

You asked just the right question. I was wondering how we would be viewed on the QM2...we're just plain folk. Jeans is my daily uniform and the kids wear them most of the time, too. I planned to get a few nicer things to wear and not even bring the jeans (we'll have to mail them ahead of us). Can we wear jeans during the day on an Atlantic crossing in early Summer?

Normally, for our first cruise, I would choose a line different than Cunard, but the QM2 is the only ship that we can go on. It's always the plan to keep the kids well behaved, but sometimes, people don't really care how the kids are actually acting...they can just sniff and wish the kids weren't there. I was hoping we wouldn't have to deal with that too much.

Sandy

Sandy,

I hope I didn't sound too rude.

There were a number of children on our cruise. One hardly even noticed them. I live in jeans and scrub shirts during the week. They are comfortable on my large frame and the scrubs have lots of big pockets for things I am always carrying about- like three or four cell phones and a Blackberry. (I am a cellular technician) I found some decent shorts to wear. (plain long pants would do if it's colder when and where you'll be) I think daytime isn't really an issue, as long as you're not out in your PJs or looking like a total bum! Hey! It's Cunard- If you look like a bum one day, act imperious and they'll just think you're a rich eccentric! <G>

As I stated before, I have never had anyone, on any Cunard cruise be snobbish towards me at all. People are people the world over. Most people, most of the time, are as worried about what you'll think of them as you are about their reaction to you, I find if you are interested in others, most people find that flattering, and I learn a lot and make new and interesting friends. Whether you're 12 or 82, if you are rude, loud, or intrusive, people will rightfully frown on that (this is not to say tht I dont sometimes get too loud myself. I do- I try to keep it in check) If you are polite and kind and genuinenly interested in others, no matter what your status in life, you will do fine. What I can't stand more than anything is people who are arrogant- People who somehow think theiir needs, their pains, their "rights" come above all others. Age, money, and social stayus have nothing to do with this. If your kids won't be bounding off the yardarms (there are no yardarms- it isn't a "Sailing" ship!) then I say, have a great time! and don't worry. Just be yourself.

And have a great time!

Karie

Can we wear jeans during the day on an Atlantic crossing in early Summer?
Sandy,

You can ... but you should not. They were present on our June 9 crossing, but they were rare, and out of place. Just take it one step up during the day to khakis or something like that - they are just as comfortable but they do not bring the QM2 experience down to just any typical day on land.

Larry, do not worry about your teenager. We had 11 and 13 year old boys on board last summer and they had a great time. We rarely saw them (although to be honest, once or twice the 13 year old complained there was nothing to do, but then he would wander off and disappear for hours and come back all "jazzed" from some fun thing he had found. They both keep asking me when we are going back. They also wore khakis during the day, and we bought them black suits with black ties for formal nights. I had to go out and buy a tux for the crossing, and was glad I did. The vast majority of men are in black tuxes, and it was fun getting into one - had not done that since my wedding. It added to the specialness of the trip.

Paul

Sandy,

You can ... but you should not.

Paul

Thank you!

Khaki slacks do look so much sharper. We call those "church clothes" in our family.

Are khaki type shorts for grown-up men recommended? What about nice shorts for ladies (because I amalaaaadie)?

And Karie, I didn't think you came off harsh at all. (How do you pronounce your name...like Stephen King's Carrie?)

Sandy

Thank you!

Khaki slacks do look so much sharper. We call those "church clothes" in our family.

Are khaki type shorts for grown-up men recommended? What about nice shorts for ladies (because I amalaaaadie)?

And Karie, I didn't think you came off harsh at all. (How do you pronounce your name...like Stephen King's Carrie?)

Sandy

Yep,

Same as Stephen King's, only nicer! <G>

And thanks. Sometimes I can really stick my foot in my mouth without realizing it!

I think your guys will have a great time!

When went with our 16 year old and she had a wonderful time. The teens wore jeans during the day and dressed up at night. They were all having a good time. Just get your kids to go to the teen group organizational meeting the first night, where they meet the other kids and then can take it from there.

Archived