Horizon Dining Question

wemjam

Sailing on our first of the mega ships in 3 months - the Horizon.  Quick questions on the specialty dining (sushi, Asian, Italian, BBQ, etc). please (first time for us). 

1. Do you need to make reservations for these restaurants or is it first come? 

2.  If you make reservations, is it advisable/or can you make them early in the cruise to assure a place?  If so, where do you make them at?

3.  I believe I have seen there is an "upcharge" for these restaurants, is this so?  

4.  Is it like the steakhouse where you if you do pay, it is a set price and then you order, or is it like a regular restaurant where you pay for each item you wish to order?  Any examples of such cost appreciated - I am familiar with the Seafood Shack and Pay Sushi on other ships such as the Conquest.

5.  Do any of these locations on the Horizon have a special dress code (excluding the steakhouse, I am aware of the dress code here)?

6.  Is the Bonsi Sushi the only place to get sushi on board?  I love it but husband hates it, and would like to be able to get it (like on other ships), where you just order and take away since he is not going to want to sit down to a "meal" with me in a restaurant setting.   - BBQ place too, eat in only or take away?  Hubby doesn't care much for that either lol, but I love me some good BBQ.

Any help is appreciated, even after all our cruises this will be a new experience we are much looking forward to it.

PS:  Know it is not food related, but want to try the sky bikes too.  Do you reserve this?  If so in advance or what - if anyone reading these questions about the food knows.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Sailing on our first of the mega ships in 3 months - the Horizon.  Quick questions on the specialty dining (sushi, Asian, Italian, BBQ, etc). please (first time for us). 

1. Do you need to make reservations for these restaurants or is it first come?  Steakhouse yes, reservations are needed. We saw two families get turned away from the podium as the restaurant was booked. The other restaurants you can make a day in advance. JiJi was never busy and was always a same day option.

2.  If you make reservations, is it advisable/or can you make them early in the cruise to assure a place?  If so, where do you make them at? In your cruise manager online. It says specialty dining reservations.

3.  I believe I have seen there is an "upcharge" for these restaurants, is this so?  Yes, $38 steakhouse, $15 Italian My son and husband dined at Teppanyaki it was $75 for two.

4.  Is it like the steakhouse where you if you do pay, it is a set price and then you order, or is it like a regular restaurant where you pay for each item you wish to order?  Any examples of such cost appreciated - I am familiar with the Seafood Shack and Pay Sushi on other ships such as the Conquest. One price, three courses.

5.  Do any of these locations on the Horizon have a special dress code (excluding the steakhouse, I am aware of the dress code here)? They all follow the main dining room dress code. On formal nights, the dress code is Formal. On casual nights, they are all casual. Only steakhouse requires men to wear pants on casual night. Others dress shorts are permitted.

6.  Is the Bonsi Sushi the only place to get sushi on board?  I love it but husband hates it, and would like to be able to get it (like on other ships), where you just order and take away since he is not going to want to sit down to a "meal" with me in a restaurant setting.   - BBQ place too, eat in only or take away?  Hubby doesn't care much for that either lol, but I love me some good BBQ. Not sure as I don’t eat sushi. BBQ is available on deck 5 on embarkation day and seadays. The pay menu is available lunch and dinner everyday.

Any help is appreciated, even after all our cruises this will be a new experience we are much looking forward to it.

PS:  Know it is not food related, but want to try the sky bikes too.  Do you reserve this?  If so in advance or what - if anyone reading these questions about the food knows. Our sailing last week the sky ride was down for maintenance. We were told it would not be available the entire cruise but we saw them running on our last seaday. We didn’t get a chance to try it.

Edited by goofygal531

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

1. Do you need to make reservations for these restaurants or is it first come? Yes I would make reservations ahead of time especially for steakhouse and Teppanyaki, those are very hard to get into.  Cucina you can do early on, on the cruise it depends there have been times I could not get reservations for Cucina on the times I wanted.  Go to your CruiseManager and click on speciality restaurants you can make reservations there

2.  If you make reservations, is it advisable/or can you make them early in the cruise to assure a place?  If so, where do you make them at?  Look above

3.  I believe I have seen there is an "upcharge" for these restaurants, is this so?  Yes

4.  Is it like the steakhouse where you if you do pay, it is a set price and then you order, or is it like a regular restaurant where you pay for each item you wish to order?  Any examples of such cost appreciated - I am familiar with the Seafood Shack and Pay Sushi on other ships such as the Conquest.  Yes as noted by other posters, Steakhouse, Teppanyaki, Cucina are one price for all courses, However Sushi and BBQ is pay what you order

5.  Do any of these locations on the Horizon have a special dress code (excluding the steakhouse, I am aware of the dress code here)? Just like dining room

6.  Is the Bonsi Sushi the only place to get sushi on board?  I love it but husband hates it, and would like to be able to get it (like on other ships), where you just order and take away since he is not going to want to sit down to a "meal" with me in a restaurant setting.   - BBQ place too, eat in only or take away?  Hubby doesn't care much for that either lol, but I love me some good BBQ.  Yes Bonsi Sushi is the only place to get Sushi and you can get it to go,  Not sure on BBQ place

PS:  Know it is not food related, but want to try the sky bikes too.  Do you reserve this?  If so in advance or what - if anyone reading these questions about the food knows.  No reservations needed but lines get very long

Thanks, everyone... looked and I see the reservations now.  I knew the steakhouse was there, but never thought to look for the others there too.   

So, next question I guess if anyone knows.

Horizon on May 26th.  out of Miami.  Day at Sea, Ochios Rios and Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Day at Sea.... any idea what days we are looking at for Formal Nights?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Thanks, everyone... looked and I see the reservations now.  I knew the steakhouse was there, but never thought to look for the others there too.   

So, next question I guess if anyone knows.

Horizon on May 26th.  out of Miami.  Day at Sea, Ochios Rios and Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Day at Sea.... any idea what days we are looking at for Formal Nights?

I just sailed that itinerary. Formal nights were first Sea day and Grand Cayman.

keep in mind the on board time in Cozumel is late 6:30 pm. 

For Sky Ride you just walk up and join the queue, there are no reservations. There are cameras on the ride so ask the Sports staff to point them out so you can get your smile ready.

For the Specialty restaurants you will need to make reservations and the sooner the better. JiJi's and Cucina are open for lunch which does not require reservations. We found it was better to go later during the lunch as people started queuing from about 11:30 to get in early as it's first come first served.