Cruising... cheap??

Danno

[quote name='DUCK33']Danno

Are you in trouble again? I leave these boards for a while and your getting ganged up on:).[/quote]

Thank goodness you've got my back...you still have a gun if need be??

[quote name='Danno']

Here is the statement from my TA...($Canadian)

Cruise 1750.00 x2 = 3500
Port charges 256 x2 = 512
Air (from Toronto) 489x2 = 978
Air taxes 107x2 = 214
Hotel (FLL) = 200

Total $5404 + 280 (insurance)

Actually add the cruise and the port charges and we are over $2000 per...still good value but not a cheap vacation...

[/QUOTE]

For those not familiar with the value of the Canadian $$ - the $2000 Cdn. (cruise & port charges) work out to approx. $1700 U.S. ... so a better value than what it first appeared to be;)

[quote name='lysolqn']Describing cruising as "cheap" is a bit misleading because as was said earlier, cheap is a relative term. Perhaps it's more accurate to say cruising is a "good value" - an all-inclusive transportation-accommodation-meals-and-entertainment-package-on-the-sea to places most people used to dream about visiting for a price more and more people are able to afford. This wasn't the case as recently as fifteen or twenty years ago when in relative terms, a cruise vacation was considered a luxury enjoyed only by a few, and many of those who were fortunate to indulge did so only once in a lifetime.[/QUOTE]

Since X over the year sails around 100%+ capacity, that seems to be a vote with consumer $ for favorable relative value. X and cruiselines have advantage of 'low-cost' (again relative) labor compared to US land-based resorts. That advantage would be narrowed against 'low-cost' labor in Dominican Repub, etc. However, since X sails at max capacity on regular basis they spread their fixed costs farther unless an DR AI resort is always at max capacity. For comparison, airlines capacity used to average around 72%, so fixed costs where spread over less-than-100% paying pax count. The move to larger ships captures economies of scale as long as fixed costs rise less than proportionately to add'l number of (revenue-generating) cabins. Since this is what ALL major lines are doing, this must be the economic reality. Of course, the 'economics' of operating cost management contests with quality of product/service. I am familiar with these issues because I used to help raise prices for telephone service in the 80s [i](how'd I do?)[/i]

One concern about the future 'value' of cruising is US imposing (higher cost) labor standards on ships using US ports - those costs will flow thru to pax. This may seem a selfish unsympathetic attitude, but economics is labeled the "dismal science'. There used to be a US shipbuilding industry, but the US cost structure could not compete with foreign locations. Of course the current 'low-cost' employees are themselves receiving favorable relative income compared to their home countries or it would not be in their self-interest to hire on.

The best thing going for consumers is the invisible hand of competition that pressures the cruise lines to keep their product 'affordable' relative to each other and land-based alternatives.:D
[b]bon voyage[/b]

[quote name='Susan-M']Dan - I had a look at Century sailings in February and you are right.... this one is not cheap. Other than nice ports and 9 days, why the high price tag on this one?[/quote]

Given the combination of cold winter weather in the North, and all the schools that have winter vacations during the month of February, this is high season for a Carribean Cruise.

[quote name='Sky Sweet']Given the combination of cold winter weather in the North, and all the schools that have winter vacations during the month of February, this is high season for a Carribean Cruise.[/quote]

[B]I thought most vacations were in March...they are here :eek:[/B] [B]!!! They call it March Break!!![/B]

No big deal, I expect this cruise would tend to be less popular with the school group that the 7 day cruises.

We picked it for the great islands and the 4 days at sea...I love sea days, especially 2 days after leaving Fort Lauderdale...nice to relax after a busy travel day(s).

[quote name='Danno'][B]I thought most vacations were in March...they are here :eek:[/B] [B]!!! They call it March Break!!![/B]

No big deal, I expect this cruise would tend to be less popular with the school group that the 7 day cruises.

We picked it for the great islands and the 4 days at sea...I love sea days, especially 2 days after leaving Fort Lauderdale...nice to relax after a busy travel day(s).[/quote]

Most public school districts within the United States have Christmas Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break. Some, but not all, have their winter break during the month of February. Even so, there are enough school districts that have Winter Breaks during the month of February to create greater than average demand for cruises at that time.

I'm not too concerned...I think the combination of 4 sea days and 9 days total wouldn't make it a first choice with families. Wouldn't have been mine when our son was in school.

I think in these months, Feb and March, there are probably no weeks that don't take in someone's school break...we'll see.

If there are lots of kids, I want compensation, an onboard credit and maybe a free cruise[B]...I'm entitled!![/B]

Archived