Progreso??

We're sailing with Carnival (first cruise - sooo excited!) in March. It looks like Playa Carmen has been changed to Progreso for our second port.

Is this a big deal? Is there a chance they'll change it back? Is Progreso nice? Is there much to do there?

Hola,

If this is your first cruise, I wouldn't worrie about it. Although Progreso is no match for Playa it still has a few interesting things to do. You can save the $35 that the ship charges for their Beach Break and walk 3 blocks form the mini market where the bus drops you to Corona Beach. If you don't want the $1 Coronas there are several places along the main drag (Malecon) where you can eat or drink. The beach is pretty and the service and food at the Saint Bonnet Resturant is good. Then there is a tour of the town for a couple of bucks. If you want to visit some ruins without a 3 hour bus ride, you can go to Dzibilchaltun. It has a good tour of a musuem and the ruins and there is a nice cenote (pond) where you can take a swim. Then there is a tour of Merida, an old city with some neat architecture and good shopping. That is about it, aside from a visit to a flamingo sanctuarary or more ruins. Most people hit the beach, get drunk or go to the ruins and get drunk. That's about it. This is our third trip so I don't know what I want to do. It won't be getting drunk.:p

The thing to do in Progreso is go see the ruins. This is about the only place you can see Chichen Itza from while cruising. Don't bother staying in town or going to the beach. When we stopped there in December, nobody was really impressed with Progreso itself, but the people who took excursions to the ruins were all impressed and had great times (Chichen Itza, Uxmal, or the other ruins that are closer that I can't remember the name of).

I wouldn't risk renting a car in Progreso to get to the ruins. Either go with a ship's excursion, or find a private guide, but don't risk going on your own. Uxmal and Chichen Itza are a good ways away from port.

You might want to check out Progresso on the Ports of Call Board.

I would not risk Chichen Itza or Tulum on your own. They are a long drive from the pier and you might miss the ship if your car breaks down or something else delays you.

However, as one of the other responses indicated, there is a 3rd choice - Dzibultchan. Dzibultchan is only about 30 minutes from the pier. You can either buy a tour from a vendor at the pier or hire a taxi. We hired a taxi because the vendor's tour did not leave for several hours and was scheduled to return close the the ship's sailing time. The driver took us to Dzibultchan and waited for us. We hired a guide at the ruins and enjoyed our tour. I even took a swim in the Cenote which was great after walking around in the heat. The cost was about $95 for the two us us for the taxi, admission and the guide. We could have saved money if we had found others to share the taxi with us.

Note: You could combine Dzibultchan with a tour of Merida if you are interested.

We have been to Progreso twice. The first time we took the bus tour of Merida and really enjoyed it. It was about a 1/2 hour bus ride from Progreso. Among other things, we saw the oldest cathedral on the North American continent. Beautiful. Also had time to do some shopping before going back to the ship. The second time we just took the bus from the terminal area to the market place downtown (free) and shopped til we dropped. We had done Mayan ruins tours in Cozumel and Belize previously so we wanted something different and also something that didn't involve driving all day since the ruins are so far from Progreso. We enjoyed Progreso both times.

My wife and I just returned from the Elation and we stopped in Progreso. We booked the Dzibilchaltun tour through Carnival while on board the ship. The tour was listed as 4 hours and starting at 9am until 1pm. The guides that ran the tour loaded the first bus as soon as they had a bus load so we were on our way by 830 or so and didn't return until after 130pm so we had over 5 hours insted of just 4. The bus ride is maybe 30 minutes and our guide gave us a pretty steady local history talk on the way there. Once we arrived at the site, we had a guided tour of the museum and then a guided walk around the ruins after which we were free to explore on our own. We both really enjoyed a dip in the cenote, the water is crystal clear and very refreshing. At a hundred bucks for the two of us, we both thought it was a reasonable price for what we got. Very enjoyable.

Chris

Thanks for the info! That was the excursion we've decided to do in Progreso.

Do you think you could have booked it once you got to Progreso just as easily and for less money? Did that include lunch?

Did you have time to do any shopping once you got back to town?

Don't know if that is directed at but I'll answer anyway:) .

I don't know about booking there, we were content just to book a ship excursion to ensure we didn't get left or have any problems like that. Were you first get off the ship there is a collection of gentlemen holding signs for the various excursions. If you didn't book one, you walked past them, through a small collection of shops and could take an open air bus to the end of the 4.5 mile pier. That bus was complementary and you may be able to find a guide once in Progresso. Once again, with limited time in port, we went with the sure thing. It didn't include lunch (even though the icon on the site shows lunch) but there is a small restaurant at the site which serves good (if not cheap) local food.

Our bus returned us to the terminal at about 1:30 and since we needed to be on board by 2:30, we just looked at the shops next to the terminal and then got back on the ship. Our tour guide mentioned that the prices at the ruins site were better then in town or at the pier but he either lied or was very much mistaken. Prices were much cheaper near the boat. Take plenty to drink, the tour guide handed out small bottled waters which went fast, and take or wear a bathing suit. If you don't think you'll swim in the cenote, don't even go look at it. If you see it, you'll wanna jump in, especially if it's hot. If you want a little taste, let me know and I'll post a pic or two. Hope that's helpful.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited about Progreso after reading here. I can't wait to take my kids on the double decker bus! We're going to do our own thing, like a taxi to Dz and I still have a few questions.

Now that they tender, is there still a bus ride to town?

How long does it take to tour Dz? Will 3 hours cover the cab ride and the tour?

Any good places to eat besides Flamingo's?

Hmm, I guess I just assumed they were tendering.
Hola Wanna,

No tender. You will get to traverse one of the longest piers in the world. I have read too many conflicting articles as to how long, but it is long. As hdawson pointed out, there are several good places to eat. Personally, I like Saint Bonnet, but when I find a good place to eat it is hard for me to try another place.

I have all my note at home but I *think* the taxi for the trip is around $40-50 depending on how many people you have. Then it was $10 or $12 for the tour. Then around $20 if you want to get a guide (again depending on how many people in your party I think) but you don't have to have a guide.

So for three of us it is going to be around $100 as apposed to $165 ($55 a piece) through the ship's plan.

ETA: I'll be glad to give a full report when I get back at the end of March.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the pier is 5 miles long, I don't think you will have to tender!!, unless of course there are 50 ships in-LOL

I am going to Progreso in June for 4 days ( on purpose) on my own to research the possibility of purchasing real estate beach front for retirement. One of the few places still affordable on the Mexican coast. I am making this trip from Canada and hope that I find what I think I will. But then who knows.

A new 4 lane highway is being constructed, a new airport nearby, Walmart is coming in December, A new Cruise terminal is planned, The company that owns Xcaret has purchased land near the pier and is rumoured to be building a dolphin encounter. There is a new bridge comin to link Progreso to Yulcapetan.

I have read that 8 ships a week are arriving now. I think the writing is on the wall in Progreso.

Archived