Sugar Free Treats on NCL Sun?

SV-650-Girl

I'm an insulin dependent diabetic who is traveling on the Sun in a few months. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are many sugar free items available? I have read posts about an ice cream bar. Does the Sun have sugar free ice cream or perhaps any sugar free items at the chocolate buffet? Also, what about a variety of sugar free beverages such as cranberry juice, tonic, etc.?

Thanks!

Having two with diabetes in the family, we pay attention to this kind of thing. On 3 different NCL ships we have found sugar free desserts in the buffet every day, sugar free items in the chocoholics buffet, sugar free syrup for your waffles or pancakes and of course some diet sodas.

In the main dining rooms, I wouldn't hesitate to ask if they had any sugar free desserts available, even if it wasn't on the menu. You never know what they may be able to do for you. (I'm guessing they'd find something, since there are sugar free desserts offered in the buffet.) I have not seen any sugar free ice creams on the cruises, but maybe that is coming soon.

Good luck and have fun!

Hikini:D

SUN has fat-free and sugar-free ice cream on menu each evening in Seven Seas and Four Seasons Dining Rooms.

Juices are in dining rooms WITHOUT added charge at morning breakfast, sugar-free not listed as such. But ask for what you wish, they may just be able to please you with this.

SPRINKLES ice cream bar located at upstairs Garden Cafe has flavor Sugar Free, daily.

Hope you enjoy your SUN cruise. Ours was great for 12/18/05 11 nites cruise.

Enjoy, enjoy!

Magnolia Man

I'm partial to NCL because of Freestyle, but I must admit both Celebrity and HAL offered more in the way of sugar-free desserts in their dining rooms. I'll admit I never asked if there were sugar-free desserts available when I didn't see them on the dining room menu, and will try this on our next cruise. As others have posted, there are always sugar-free items in the buffet and in the ice cream bar.

While I do use sugar-free syrup on the rare occasions when I have a waffle, it always seems silly to me. The waffle (or pancake) batter is as damaging to your blood sugar as sugared syrup. It's sort of like wearing your warmest mittens on a freezing day while walking barefoot.

We're on the Sun 4/23-5/10 thru the canal and I was wondering this same thing since I am diabetic, thank you so much for your responses to this post!!

I'm not a big sweets eater, even before being diagnosed with diabetes, but an occassional ice cream I really do enjoy!:)

Happy sailing!!

Mary

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

Mary or Hikini, I don't know if you're interested in this or not but our travel agent requested a sharps container for me to dispose of my syringes. When they found out I was a diabetic NCL offered to prepare special diabetic meals for me. Thought that was a really nice touch! One thing that's kind of odd though is that we have been assigned a cabin for disabled individuals. Has this happened to either of you?

Pamela

NCL has sugar free ice cream in dining room. Sometimes they only have one kind of flavor. Carnival also has sugar free ice cream and RCL too in dining room. Once..forget what line..I thought ice cream had a awful after taste.

Just back from the Dream today, I promise to post a long review but just had to answer this question.

My Hubby is insulin dependent, twice a day and mixes his own shots. We let our room steward know and he got us a sharps container right away. First night hubby asked about sugar free in the Four Seasons and was told they had vanilla, choc and strawberry ice cream. That was it.

We soon found out that the sports bar and grill buffet had at least two sugar free items at either lunch or dinner. We took to stopping by each evening when he wanted some dessert after we left wherever we happened to eat.

Another night at the Four Seasons, our waiter let us know that at least one item was sugar free on the desserts and told us the Pina Colada cake was sugar free that night so he had a serving. And these are not big pieces either.

I will warn you, each morning when he ran his blood test after having some sugar free desserts, hubbys sugar was very high. Over 200 and once 300. Now he is very, very careful about keeping in control so he abstained the next evening and the next morning his test was 105. I would be very careful about what you eat, even the sugar free items. If you are experienced enough to adjust your shots to cover the extra in your diet, you can take a bigger shot to make sure your sugar levels stay down.

Hubby found it easier to just not eat them. He did twice have a diet ice cream from the ice cream station. They didn't say sugar free, just diet so that could be fat free, low fat or sugar free. The people dipping couldn't answer as to exactly what "diet" meant.

Julie

One thing that's kind of odd though is that we have been assigned a cabin for disabled individuals. Has this happened to either of you?

Don't knock the disabled cabin - my uncle was assigned one on the Star last week and it was larger than my parents' cabin, both cabins being the same class. He is not disabled, but NCL must have to assign them to someone if they are not all booked.

I was diagnosed in 2000 and they tried meds on me and I went so low it was scary so they took away the meds and said diet and exersize; so that's how I manage my diabetes; no need for a sharps container.

As far as the cabin, we've never been booked in a disabled cabin, probably because on every cruise I've ever been on we've been in a suite, this time an AC at the aft of the ship.

Gonna be fun!

Mary :D

Archived