Stupid Snorkeling question by a MOM!

ciship

Taking my kids snorkeling (first time) in July on a cruise. Concerned that they will drink half the ocean and get sick and delirious while trying to figure the snorkeling thing out! I am going to practice in the pool here at home before we go, but an ocean is a whole different ballgame.

Is it true that you can become delirious, brainsick, etc....if you drink the salt water of the ocean?

..........told you it was a stupid question.......but, HEY.....I'm from farmland.....not the ocean!

ciship,

no, you can not become delirious or brain sick from drinking the ocean water... But do exactly what you said you are going to do.... Practice in the pool.... I did that exactly one year ago last Dec.. Was on my cruise 1 year ago and snorkeled in Princess Cays.... Had a blast.... And now, I'm a certified diver.......:D And have them swim some laps once they master the breathing with a snorkel... Gives them some exercise and practice.... Good luck.....

Not a lot of salt water in Kansas?

If they are using equipment that fits properly, it only takes a few minutes to learn basic snorkeling techniques. Breathing should be slow and deep on the inhale, and rapid and forceful (like blowing a spitwad through a straw) on the exhale. Practice in a pool.

If the equipment does not fit properly, they will have a great deal of difficult concentrating with a mask full of water.

If you want a bit of professional help, ask a local dive center. You might could get a few pointers from one of their dive instructors. There's a shop in Shawnee or another out in Lawrence. I'm sure there are several more in the greater KC area.

Thanks for the info.........I've just always seen those movies based on "true stories" of people who are stranded in the ocean in little lifeboats that are so thirsty and dehydrated but can't drink the water b/c they know it will make them sick and "crazy"!

Been watching to much Lifetime channel I guess??

Ciship: you've had some great advice already, but I was wondering are they prety good swimmers? I don't think learning to snorkel goes well with learning to swim at the same time...

Good fit of equipment and decent equipment is essential. As you may already know, snorkel trips will have masks, fins, and snorkels available for you. We're not fans of the 'communal' snorkel and masks so we bought our kids (and us) some from the first time we went. Much cleaner! (Nothing wrong with using the boat's fins - takes up less space in your luggage too!) But please don't be tempted by the $5 dollar-store sets you see. A good mask and snorkel set for kids will run you about $30 (as an example, see http://http://www.diversdirect.com/group/Kids%20Stuff_ID25)

(As an aside, the boats will also give you a snorkel vest to wear which will help with buoyancy.)

The local dive shop may even have some lessons - but be careful! Your kids will probably have so much fun that they will want to learn to scuba too! ;)

Ciship-

There is truly nothing to worry about.

Yes, salt water can make your eyes smart, and can make the lining of your nose burn a little bit. If you get a really big drink of it, it can make your throat scratchy and give a little bit of an upset tummy.

I've drunk much more saltwater over the years from boating in rough weather (working, usually) than I ever have from swimming, snorkeling, and diving.

Properly fitted masks and a little practice will go a long ways towards keeping you and them happy in the ocean. You may also want to consider snorkel vests - some places require them.

Have a great time out there with the kids, and don't forget to relax!

Wendy

Hi, from Lawrence!

You don't say how old your kids are--that will make a difference in their abilitity to figure snorkeling out. Also, the circumstances make a difference--boat or shore snorkeling, wave action, water depth, etc.

Our kids went snorkeling for the first time a couple of weeks ago (Grand Cayman; barrier reef, coral gardens, stingray city sites). One of the older ones (girl 19) doesn't enjoy swimming in general, but did ok with the snorkeling--wasn't thrilled, but liked the fish and coral. Oldest girl (22) did fine, enjoyed the views. Oldest boy (16) took to it like a pro--diving for shells, chasing fish, etc.

Our younger boy was the challenge. He is only 4yo-- I had him in swimming lessons all last semester so he could learn to float and go underwater. He did that great and practiced with his goggles so he was really comfortable with them in the water. They don't allow snorkels in our local pool so we just praticed in the bathtub. (We bought him his own mask, snorkel and fins so they'd fit right).

On the trip, we stopped at the barrier reef first. This was quite choppy. We wore the snorkel vests to provide extra stability. The big kids got in and figured it all out easily. The little guy was slightly scared by the waves (since we couldn't practice for those in the pool or bathtub). His dad and I got him into the water and floating with one of us holding him. That was about all we got accomplished at that stop because of the waves. At the Coral Gardens site, he got in with me and actually floated with his face in the water. That excited him, but the water action was still more than he could handle (but way less than the reef area) so he got out fairly soon. At stingray city, it's only three-four feet deep and fins are not allowed (to not stir up sand and reduce visibility). The water was very calm here and since we could stand, we could support him while he floated and got his face in. He loved this--only problem was he kept jerking his head out to talk about what he saw:) There's no other fish or coral to see there, but the stingrays were exciting enough.

We felt like this trip was successful snorkeling because the older kids enjoyed their first attempt at it and the little one was able to get in and do the snorkeling skills (face in, float, breathe) that we had practiced. We didn't get a beach day in Cozumel because of weather so they didn't get to do any shore snorkeling. That would have been much easier.

I would recommend at least one adult/little kid and one adult/2 elementary kids who can swim. Take turns. Bigger kids can handle it with just supervision.

Mom to mom: don't freak out here. Make sure they have the support they need: swimming skills; good fitting equipment (don't be afraid to change it out if it leaks); snorkel vest in deeper water. And then let them figure it out! No one drinks salt water willingly more than once--and think about all the little kids who grow up around the ocean...they're not all sick all the time. Don't expect total comfort with this new activity right away--over the years they will get better and really love it. And don't pay so much for the experience that you are disappointed or mad if they don't like it or stop early.

I know there are dive shops in south KC area. Or come over to Lawrence and check out the two PADI shops we have here. The one near Das Autohaus is particularly good--we got dive certified by the guy who runs it. Any shop might arrange snorkel lessons in a pool, but really, the kids will get it figured out. Be sure YOU are trying it too. I love snorkeling and diving (45 yo mom here).

Have fun--they grow up sooo fast!

Archived