"Feather-like" pillows

debbeau55

I just read about CC's new hypoallergenic duvets and down like pillows. Does anyone know what down-like means and it that hypoallergenic too? I am allergic to feather pillows and am worried i wont be able to get foam. Does anyone know how I can contact them prior to the cruise just to be sure?

I just read about CC's new hypoallergenic duvets and down like pillows. Does anyone know what down-like means and it that hypoallergenic too? I am allergic to feather pillows and am worried i wont be able to get foam. Does anyone know how I can contact them prior to the cruise just to be sure?

debbeau55,

Hope this helps (you can Google search and more info):

http://www.carnivalcomfortbed.com/faq.cfm#answer6

Q: Product Description - Pillow – New Generation – finest, softest non-allergenic pillow available

A: •Highest quality, most “down like” pillow anywhere •non-allergenic micro fiber-fill •high thread count ticking, which is stain-resistant

"Down-like" means that it's not really down but it really does feel like down. I played with the pillows a lot trying to figure out what was actually in them. They are different from other synthetic pillows. You can fluff them like a down pillow and they have a lot of the characteristics of the down, but they are synthetic. Hard to believe! You can get down pillows too and I think Carnival says they are hypoallergenic too, but I don't know for sure.

They ARE feather pillows. I proved that by getting poked with feathers - and pulling them out of the pillow - the first 2 nights on the Liberty. I like pillows that are a bit firmer. I asked my room steward and she gave me 3 options of other pillows. I ended up with a #4 and a #5 and really liked both of them. (#5 was just a bit thicker than #4)

As for the duvet, I am probably in the minority but I hate the darn things. I've had them on 2 cruises now and both times, they were so heavy that they actually bothered my toes. Simple solution...asked the steward for blankets instead. She quite happily folded up the duvet and put it in a storage bag under the bed...and gave us a couple blankets that made sleeping much more enjoyable.

I usually suffer allergies too, debbeau55, but didn't have any sort of allergic reaction to the new products. I just flat out don't like them from a comfort standpoint.

Your room steward can help you out with a switch...no problem.

They ARE feather pillows. I proved that by getting poked with feathers - and pulling them out of the pillow - the first 2 nights on the Liberty...

No they are not all feather. There are some that are synthetic. I have gotten both of them. The synthetic ones are very similar but there are no quills. Trust me I all but dissected the pillow to find out. Maybe they have different pillows on the Liberty, but on Conquest and Elation there are both down and synthetic pillows. And the synthetic ones have a good loft to them so no...your head doesn't just fall to the matress. A good quality down pillow won't do that to you anyway. As far as the duvet is concerned, I like a little weight in my blankets...I actually found I had to get used to the light weight of the duvet compared to my comforter at home!

Wow...what a difference in experiences!

cheshyrkat...perhaps there is a difference in down (real vs synthetic) based on cabins? We were in suites on the Liberty & the Glory and we had 'real' on both ships. I don't know if the natural ones are considered perks?

LOL! I'll keep your screen name in mind. If we ever end up on the same roll call, I'll bring my duvet to your cabin for the week! And I'll take all the foam pillows that end up in your room!

The great thing is that Carnival can accomodate all of our likes/dislikes! And so far, it's always been with a smile. :)

Beach: That's too funny...Yes I'll take your duvet! In fact on Elation there was an extra in the cabin and I had it on my bed every night! LOL...And yes, the suites are supposed to have all down pillows. I read there is supposed to be some kind of pillow "menu" (for lack of a better description) for the suites. Which was why I thought it was funny to find an assortment in the regular cabin. I dunno. I spend way too much time inspecting my pillows, etc. :p

And to think I actually thought I was unique in that I find myself doing the pillow etc inspection just after arrival to a hotel room. LOL

I'm happy to know that there will be options in case my cabin is only provided with the real thing. Thanks for your feedback, all. My eyes and sinuses thank you too.

The pillows you are asking about are Poly Cluster pillows. The pillows are filled with little Polyester Clusters kind of like the pills that appear on sweaters. This allows the interior to shape and conform to to your body just like natural pillows but they are hypoalergenic. You can buy these at stores like Bed Bath and Beyond.

Archived