Volcano National Park

beechparty

What kind of clothes would be best to tour VNP in January. I think I realize it should include rain gear but temperature wise, pants or shorts? I have already packed but realize the only pants I have packed are for cruise dining room and not hiking and starting to rethink it. What do you think?

Also, Wind and Poam will be in port the same day, how does difficult does this make driving and parking on your own?

Thanks

Weather is variable in the park. We stayed up there for 4 days and went from hot to needing a sweatshirt...this is in July.

Definitely rain gear. I would wear pants and bring shorts. Its cooler on the top than on the chain of craters road.....if you dont want to pack more pants, bring a sweatshirt instead. Something in case its windy and rainy.

We dressed in shorts and short sleeve shirts just two weeks ago at VNP and we were nice and comfortable. We brought jackets and didn't need them. We didn't need any rain gear, but that would depend on the weather that day.

I would suggest bringing a jacket anyway and maybe another shirt you can throw over what you're wearing. If you tend to be someone who is cooler than most people or used to warmer climates, then be more cautious.

Now if you do the Haleakala crater, you definitely need to have warm clothing with you! It can be very windy and cold up there.

We dressed in shorts and short sleeve shirts just two weeks ago at VNP and we were nice and comfortable. We brought jackets and didn't need them. We didn't need any rain gear, but that would depend on the weather that day.

I would suggest bringing a jacket anyway and maybe another shirt you can throw over what you're wearing. If you tend to be someone who is cooler than most people or used to warmer climates, then be more cautious.

Now if you do the Haleakala crater, you definitely need to have warm clothing with you! It can be very windy and cold up there.

Aloha Jame:

Just a clarification FYI, Volcano National Park is on the big island of Hawaii, and Haleakala is on the island of Maui. You must have had the opportunity to go to both volcanic sites, lucky you:)

Aloha Jame:

Just a clarification FYI, Volcano National Park is on the big island of Hawaii, and Haleakala is on the island of Maui. You must have had the opportunity to go to both volcanic sites, lucky you:)

Yes, we went to VNP on the big island of Hawaii, and to Haleakala on Maui. Enjoyed each of them, and there are significant differences between both sites and both islands! Also got to see the lava flow from Kilauea at night from the Pride of America.

Trip of a lifetime, although we hope to get back again at some point. We do have many other trips that we want to do first, unless someone out there can arrange for us to relocate in the mean time. ;) lol.

There are enormous differences in the climate between Kilauea (VNP) and Haleakala crater on Maui, primarily due to the difference in altitude. Kilauea's summit - where volcano house, the visitor center, etc. are located - is about 4000'. Haleakala is 10,000'.

At VNP it can be 68 and pleasant (or 58 and pouring rain!) at Kilauea's summit, and down at the end of the chain of craters road be in the 80s and sunny - or windy as all get-out.

I suppose the point is that the weather in VNP is extremely variable. light layers are probably the best suggestion. That's what we wear. You can take them off or put them on as the weather dictates. Always have a poncho!

Archived