Advice for Alaska fishing excursions ?

ChillEDog

Hi everyone.  We're in the process of booking Eurodam to Alaska via Seattle in September.  Would like to book one or two fishing excursions - I see they have salmon and halibut charters, and bay and fly-fishing which I assume is river fishing.  Just wondering if anyone has any advice on best time to go, where to go, who to book with?  Thank you.

I have 2 recommendations for you.  In Ketchikan, I have fished several times with Nick, Chasin' Tail Charters, 907-617-7033.  In Juneau, last year we fished with Paul, Chum Fun, 907-398-2486.  Nick is a standard charter boat type set-up with comparable price to the ship.  Paul is a shore line base operation and was $125 for 3 hours.  Six of us fishing with Paul last Sept. caught over 20 Silvers.  Good fishing 

Brilliant!   I'll look them up.  

what'd you do with your catch ?  somebody said you have to have it processed and sent home.  I guess that means they won't cook it for you on the boat.

ps what's a silver ? 🤔

Edited by ChillEDog

Are you going a few days early before your cruise?  We did the halibut/salmon fishing out of Homer.  Just rented a car and drove there from Anchorage.    We stayed right on the pier in the "Time Bandit" (as in the Deadliest Catch).  The have a 1 room studio above their shop.   Fished 2 days....caught a halibut almost every catch but could only keep 2 pp/day so we kept trying for the big one!   We had the fish processed on the pier and shipped home.  It wasn't cheap but it was soooooo worth it.   We limited out on salmon too (shipped that as well).

If you can swing getting to Homer, I highly recommend it.  It's an easy drive and pretty to boot.   You can rent a boat with 2-4 people or you can do the cattle car method (cheaper).   We did both but would do the 2/4 people if we do it again.   

thanks for the suggestions, what you did sounds fantastic but we have exactly 7 days - how I wish we could do 10 or more - dear retirement, please hurry - so whatever we do we'll be doing during stops on our cruise

was Time Bandit at the pier ?  pretty gosh darn cool either way

how did you like Princess / Alaska ?

thanks !

Chilledog, Silvers are Coho Salmon and thy normally are running up stream in Sept.  They average 12-15 pounds and I think are the mildest flavored of the 5 species.  Most cruise ships do not cook your catch any more.  The processing and shipping cost are high, but it is so much better than anything you can buy.  Good luck.

Greg Locke

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked at itinerary and we're in Ketchikan 7am to 1pm.  Seems too short for a fishing trip, would you agree ?  I've emailed Nick at C.T. with same question.  Fishing is supposed to be  r  e  l  a  x  e  d ….   🙂