Mutany on the Mary

jimneycrkit

G.G. Actually, think we agree. My point was not what to do, or what could have been done, but the number of planes, and perhaps the thought they all would be going to the same place. :o

I am glad to hear that some praise is coming out in support of the Commodore. As we all know, the loudmouths usually get the press, and the press is swayed toward the sensational, rather than the substantial, after all that's what sells.

Sea-hawk

melissa

for the first time in a week i was so please to read your message in that the sun is out and the waters are calm

i was getting so apprehensive for our trip on the third leg i was imagining us being sea sick for the whole time and being shunned because of being british!

i was going to ask you to report on the more importanty things such as the waters and the weather

thank you

erika

Well after all this, and all the contempt for all the "complainers" it does seem to me that some aboard have had a bad deal. Many passengers who have tried to resolve a problem with Cunard will know what I mean when I say that these are not always dealt with in the most helpful manner. I can remember asking a Cunard cruise director why I should be expected to endure physicall pain in my ears during a musical production. He looked at me as if I were a madman and refused to accept that it would be a good idea to turn the sound levels down a bit.

These passengers are fighting a big big corporation. Who do we expect to win?

David.

Well after all this, and all the contempt for all the "complainers" it does seem to me that some aboard have had a bad deal.

David,

I have NEVER been a fan of the Cunard Purser's Office - 'not my problem, not my shift' would appear to be their motto - even on such a delightful and (~almost) perfect ship such as CARONIA. However, I think what has engendered criticism of the Rio disembarkers tomorrow is their targetting of the staff by witholding gratuities - this displays either mean-spiritedness or ignorance. I think this thread has benefitted no end from the postings of Melissa and Jackatsea - who are in different positions vis a vis appropriate compensation for the Rio disembarkers - both, however, have retained a sense of humour and perspective, something I would submit the 'Cruisers from Hell' have mislaid.

Peter

Congratulations to those getting a full refund.

Now, when they disembark in Rio, after 12 horrendous days of no-cost luxury, pampering, and gourmet food, they can take this refunded money, fly back to St. Kitts, Barbados, and Salvador for a holiday full of the t-shirt shops, jewelry 'outlets', and diamond discounters that they missed visiting before.

No doubt they will all be putting the tips back on their accounts, right?

Wuell......as Cunard sows, so shall they reap....moral for next delayed passengers is moan/threaten until you get a free voyage.

Cunard's capitulation is now in USA Today, no doubt more to follow:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2006-01-26-queen-mary-two_x.htm

You couldn't buy advertising like this! Mind you, I've no doubt they will pay.....for some time to come.....

I wonder if the Rio disembarkers will be rushing to re-instate their cancelled gratuities?

Peter

While I think the outcry and resultant publicity has been "over the top" - I do wish I had been aboard.

Damned generous sweetened offer!

Yes, but I wouldn't be a bit suprised to find a file somewhere in the Corporate offices with a little black list of names. Should some of these people ever decide they want to sail with Carnival they might find it slightly more difficult to do so.

Although some passengers have behaved atrociously and didn't deserve 100% refund, I am glad Cunard has dropped their "the ship is the destination" mentality. What a mistake.

And I don't approve of their tactics, but I am glad the pax are getting full refund in the end. (At least, I'm glad for those who behaved...)

Don't forget the show is not over yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just Act 1.

The ship is still damaged............ still a long way to go........... the repairs are yet to be done............

Could be just a practice run for the main event of a full cruise cancellation!

Don't forget the show is not over yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just Act 1.

The ship is still damaged............ still a long way to go........... the repairs are yet to be done............

Could be just a practice run for the main event of a full cruise cancellation!

EMu, Emu, Emu....have you no faith?! The power of the collective consiousness is a powerful thing. Keep thinking positive and it will be there. She's a Mother beautiful ship and she'll be there.

What can I say? I'm from California :p

Now that this generous offer is on the table, what happens to those that filed the class action suit? Is the law firm going to say "Ok, you're off the hook for the contracted class action suit and owe us nothing? Just curious.

Perhaps it is time to get rid of this regulation so ships can stop at American ports and make money for the ports of call as well as the ship.

Maybe passengers should write to our legislators perhaps to avoid another disaster where people are stuck onboard a ship because of this law.

Perhaps it is time to get rid of this regulation so ships can stop at American ports and make money for the ports of call as well as the ship.

Maybe passengers should write to our legislators perhaps to avoid another disaster where people are stuck onboard a ship because of this law.

WAS it the 'Jones act' that caused Cunard to keep eveyone on board?

or was it the fear of many people abandoning ship in Florida if Cunard

had announced the nonstop 'Rio Express' before cast off?

Perhaps we shall never know.

I seriously do not believe the Jones or PSA act had much to do with this, to tell you the truth. And I don't think Cunard delieberately misled the customers. I believe Cunard may have been fooling itslef, overly optimistic they could make up for the lost day and a half and stay on schedule. I truly believe they did not know what she was capable of doing, and were disappointed when they couldn't keep er, um... Something to the wall and make good time. I am sure their original times were not planned based on full speed the whole time, so they may have figured they had a little "skootch" room to make up for the lost time. They claim she does not have a measrued top speed. I think they were trying to see if they could save 1, 2 or maybe all three ports, but realized by midday, (after leaving around 7:15 AM) that they would not be able to do so, and would not be able to keep up speed.

That's just my opinion. Call me a Pollyanna, but I just do not see boogeymen lurking around every corner, planning deliberate mayhem! I really think most people don't PLAN to do wrong, Things get the best of them, they try to salvage something or not admit they goofed. I don't think they deliebrately set out to deceive.

Karie, Whose mileage may vary from your own, do not operate heavy machinery while reading my posts, nursing mother should exercise caution (especially if the baby is teething) caution cross-eyes, purply blotched skin and loss of teeth may result from misuse of this post, not responsible for death, loss of enjoyment of life or sexual dysfunction. written by a non-professional on a closed-loop driving range. Do not try this at home. brush three times daily, see your doctor, and always remember to wait 1/2 hour after reading this before swimming. Accessories not included. Takes two double A batteries. (not included) Do not use outside in the event of severe thunderstorms. Always have an adult in charge while reading my posts. Not responsible for typographical errors, we reserve the right to limit quantities or substitute for a post of equal or lesser value. Not valid in Michigan or where prohibited by law. Do not send stamps.

<G>

Just my humble opinion...but I think Cunard made a mistake in caving in to the demands of the disgruntled. As Peter points out, it will probably just encourage more bad behavior by passengers whenever they have gripes of any sort. As every parent knows, giving in to temper tantrums usually accomplishes little more than simply reinforcing the negative behavior!

Just my humble opinion...but I think Cunard made a mistake in caving in to the demands of the disgruntled. As Peter points out, it will probably just encourage more bad behavior by passengers whenever they have gripes of any sort. As every parent knows, giving in to temper tantrums usually accomplishes little more than simply reinforcing the negative behavior!

HEAR! HEAR!

Oh where, Oh where can I find a plane to Valparaiso? If you get a free cruise for a few missed ports, I think I will get on the next plane to Chile. You KNOW there will be something happen between Chile and the 3 day to Ensenada. The ship has NOT been repaired and will need to be repaired someplace before she leaves for Hawaii. I could use a vacation. Especially a FREE vacation.

Cunard has set a VERY bad precedent.

Archived