film camera..bring or not to bring

imatarb

Okay, we will be heading out on the Victory on 5/9, and I have a brand new Canon A80 digital camera, that I specifically bought for this and future vacations. I love its small size and portability.

But...

Should I forgo my film camera altogether? I have a wonderful Nikon N70 that has lenses, filters, etc. I just wonder if bringing it will be more trouble than it's worth. I don't want the salt air to disturb it, either. If I did bring it, I probably would only use it on the ship, and use my digital for shore excursions.

Any thoughts on whether I should go completely digital or bring the 'big girl' with us?

Lisa and Mark icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - '94

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Oh, the Nikon is not for sale. I'll probably never get rid of her, and I stil love film. My question was whether I should bring her with us as a back-up camera.

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I'm done with film, except for perhaps underwater shots.

Just make sure you have plenty of backup memory cards and batteries. We brought the NiMH charger last time.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

imatarb

Darn good question....Is there a major difference in the quality of the pictures that each takes?....Filters can do so much, not to mention different lenses....Does the digital have the filters that you need or want already built in?(some have a few)

It may take a little getting used to and reading a book....but I have heard that digitals offer alot nowadays....just need to read a whole book to learn how to work it. I only say this because it sounds like you have a fair amount of experience with the "big girl".

In my opinion, I think that the "real" cameras offer alot more diversity and quality....but....like you said the digitals offer the "small size and portability".

Not to mention the all important fact that you can see if you took a "good" picture before the "whole" moment is lost. You now, the whole "If I would have known that the print was going to look like this...I would have shot it from another/different perspective, used different settings or lighting options.......(I could go on)....digitals offer the option to quickly see exactly what you have and proceed from there.

That is a very important thing to me considering the fact that on our first cruise....we only got back 65% of our pictures from the one-hour-photo...the others were deemed "not printable"(too poor quality to see what the picture was of(blurry,too dark).....sadly they were right. We chose to use disposables from Walmart and leave the film camera at home...I was paranoid that it may get broken, dropped in water or misplaced while having too much fun.

It really depends on how much space that you can/want to dedicate to packing/carrying because both types of camera have their own benefits albeit different benefits.

I just wish I could get the many options of a film camera down to the size of a digital.

All in all, I would have to go with the digital and just bought a Sony DSC-P92 (you can actually make a short(very) MPEG movie with it, length depends on memory) all due to the "pre-screen" benefit.

Can you tell that I have thought about this a lot also?

Always be aware of the condensation problem and keep it in a ziploc bag.

Hope this babbling helped.

JohnnyO

I'm takin' my 'point and shoot' 35MM Fuji 'Discovery' 800 Zoom that I bought 13 or so years ago and 8 rolls of 24 exp. film. I know for sure I can count on this camera. If I hadn't lost my 35 MM Minolta SLR in a fire I'd still be using it!

Digital is great, but the quality just isn't there just yet! I'm waiting for when a 5 MP, 10X Optical Zoom is available for $100. icon_rolleyes.gif with a 256 card!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;4;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

This much time until I leave to marry my best friend

odie_anm.gif

Triumph 4/04

Imagination 5/00

OceanBreeze 11/96

USS 'Neversail' SanDiego 10/65

imatarb.....I would definately take both if I had the room in the luggage....plus you would be able to see the "quality difference" between the two. I do have to ask tho...what does your name mean?

stlrboo.....That is how much a 256M stick costs....LOL....but it will go down....My 5MP,8x zoom went down $50 the day after I bought it.....LOL...that is my luck.

JohnnyO

[This message was edited by JohnnyO on 04-12-04 at 04:02 PM.]

We just returned from the Imaganation 5-day Western and I brought my film camera, digital, underwater camera AND camcorder! One piece of luggage was just for cameras (carryon, though) and I am glad I took them all! I've watched the video endlessly since getting home and have looked at the prints over and over, and am now editing the digitals so I can use them as screensavers on my 'puter! Call me obsessed!!

The Big Red Boat Oct.1991

Carnival Ecstasy Apr. 1998

RCL Sovereign of the Seas 2000

Carnival Imagination Apr. 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;4;3;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

TILL IMAGINATION, APRIL 3, 2004!!!!!

I'm leaning toward taking them both, just in case something disastrous happened to the digital. I am very familiar and comfortable with my Nikon, and I would like to see some of the scenery shots with it, too. Fits nicely into its own Targus camera bag, and I could probably fit the new Canon in there as well.

Oh, screen name is im a tarb (brat backwards)..drunken college story. ;-)

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

For Professional quality, digitals have not yet passed up film cameras.

However, for the average person digitals are probably plenty quality enough.

The great thing now, is that you can take them to Wally World, and Photo Labs and get prints made from them. They are usually better (and cheaper) than what you can print at home on your Ink Printer.

As always, with electronics, prices are coming down & quality is going up.

I <U>Always take a Back-up camera of some kind, even if it's a couple of disposable cameras</U>.

something can go wrong with any camera, film or digital.

[This message was edited by voyagerfl on 04-13-04 at 01:36 AM.]

I just purchased the Canon digital rebel. I have this same camera in the film version too. I just plan on taking the digital on my upcoming cruise. You can change lenses, filter etc. on this camera, so the lenses I already have will fit it. I have a 200mm lens and can't wait to see how it does.

gettingatan.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=9933FF&cdt=2004;05;01;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400 Sensation!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=9933FF&cdt=2004;07;11;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400 Pride!

http://community.webshots.com/user/anastasia3a

Carnivale/Celebration/Holiday/Celebration/Fascination/

Fascination/Ecstasy/Imagination/Triumph/Destiny/Pride/Sensation/Destiny/Sensation 5/04 Pride 7/04

The prices are coming down, and rapidly.

One can purchase a SanDisk 256 mb CF card at Costco for under $42.

Individual prints from digital media at Wal-Mart and Costco are $.17-$.19 each.

Even 2300 MAH NiMH AA batteries can be had for close to $1.00 each, if you watch prices or shop eBay.

I remember having an older Pentax 35 mm camera break in the middle of a cruise. Major panic attack. I was fortunate enough to find a great deal on a Minolta X-9 in Curacao the next day. I still have that camera, but rarely schlep it around anymore.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Archived