Southampton to New york

Taffygirl

Thinking of booking the QM2 for the above cruise either May or end of Sept.

What would the crossing be like on theses dates,

would the sea be very rough (I get seasick very easily).

Thanks.

Well a transatlantic CROSSING is going to be more rough in general than a nice easy cruise in the Caribbean. Now May and September (and the dates in between) are usually pretty good much better than late fall or early spring crossings but the weather is unpredictable none the less.

The bigger question though is that if you REALLY get seasick easily a crossing may not be your best best only because once the ship leaves port it does not stop until you get to the other side. Unlike regular cruises that stop periodically in ports you have no opportunity to 'calm' down so to speak. My suggestion would be to try your best to get your mal de mar under control before embarking. With that said it would be a trip of a lifetime especially if you haven't been. Crossings are very different than port intensive cruises and so much more appealing if you do like novel passenger mixes.

We can across the Atlantic from the Caribbean in March and although we weren't able to dock at the Azores because of rough weather, it wasn't bad at all, in fact we've encountered worse in the Caribbean (Gale Force 8). We are now booked on the QM2 from Southampton to New York in October and are expecting a bit of rough seas, but it really is quite different having so many sea days to a cruise where to stop off at several ports. it's very relaxing, but I if you are prone to seasickness, it is something to bear in mind.

Are you folks saying that the drugs and patches don't work as well on crossings? Oh, please say it isn't so!!! I am very prone to motion sickness and several of my kids are, too. I was just planning on doping us all up. I hardly drink alcohol (and the kids are too young for that nonsense just yet), so that wouldn't bother me.

Thanks!

We are booked on QM2 for the westbound crossing Sept 24/06. We have done 5 transatlantic crossings from Southampton to New York on QE2 the most recent was in 2003. We have crossed in May and the weather was spectacular. You actually had to look at the wake of the ship to remind yourself that yourare moving. The other crisooings were in June. We love to cruise in the fall and have done 4 Canada new England cruises during that time period. We thought we would try the transatlantic in September and see what happens.

We did a transatlantic last summer in July, and the ocean was as smooth as glass! I am very prone to motion sickness. I put on the patch for three days but did not need it for the last three.

Have fun - you will enjoy the QM2!

Ciaobella

Archived