Tell me about NYC, and Victory!

tlynnie

Please?

For months I have been telling myself a cruise was not feasible for my upcoming 10th anniversary. It didn't stop me from looking, and I found what I think is a good deal on a 5 night NY to Canada cruise on the Victory.

I've read some bad but mostly good about the ship, but would love to hear your thumbs up/down.

Mostly I am worried about parking in NY. It's ridiculously priced, but we're driving from Baltimore so a bus would be a pain. Is NYPST really as bad as I'm imagining?

I read something about parking at NY waterways and taking the ferry over, but can't find anything on how long of a walk that actually is, or if they even do overnight parking. I may have to call them.

Okay. I think that's it, for now. Canada would not have been my first choice, but we love New England and have a babysitter for 6 days, so how could it be bad???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To many days since the Legend (10/03)

Tlynnie-

Parking at the NYPST is not the problem it's the traffic. Which depending on how many ships are in port on the day you cruise can be a nightmare. The pricing is more than most others. You can check the website for the nypst and it will give exactly what the pricing is. You can also check to see how many ships will be in port on that day. As for the Canada itinery, it's one of my favorites. Hoope thi helps.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

I read the recent Victory thread today, so I'm good there, and I called nywaterways this afternoon. Pricewise it's not much difference. I either park at nypst for $24 a day, or park at NYWaterways in Weehawken,NJ for $18 a day and take the ferry across, then walk to the ship. We'll probably only have one large rolling bag each, and maybe a backpack, so I imagine we'll do the ferry and avoid city AND port traffic.

If we go. We should go, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too many days since the Legend (10/03)

Hi Tlynnie,

Of course you should go!! Enjoy yourselves.If you are interested in doing any tours book the the rapids tour in St John's and have a blast!! We had so much fun we wished we could of done it again.The Victory is a great ship,sailed it twice, and always had a great time with no problems.

Tlynnie...have you considered Amtrak from Baltimore? I am doing a CTN with my DD and we will both arrive by train..me from Philly and DD from Boston. Then just a cab ride to the pier. Relatively painless. icon_rolleyes.gif

Mary

Triumph Eastern 10/03

Victory CTN 6/04

Sensational Cruise from the Bayou 10/04

Tlynnie ... we have sailed the Vitory once and are going out of NYC on the Legend on May 15. The Victory is a great ship we also took it to Canada and had a wonderful time. I would park in NJ and take the water taxi. We drove to the pier once and will never do thaty again! We will have a car service bring us and pick us up.

I have also be thinming of taking the Canada cruise again inthe fall.

Bill

Thanks again!

I looked into Amtrak, but it's no more convenient with having to get a ride to to the train station, etc.

I found some pictures taken from the ferry, and it runs right behind whatever ships are in port, which would be a great welcome to the city for usicon_cool.gif, I also checked the schedule for that day, and there are FOUR ships in port icon_eek.gif (that's alot of people trying to leave/park!), and one of them is the Queen Mary 2, which I'd love to see up close! icon_biggrin.gif

Hi, On the Waterways website in Weehawken it states parking is $7.00 or $8.00 a day depending on if you get there before or after 10:00 AM. Am I reading it wrong? Thanks for any help

Diane

Diane, I called them yesterday and the daily parking is now $9 (after 10am), but if you stay overnight it's doubled to $18 a day.

I would check again. I'm a local who uses the Waterway quite often and while the rate is doubled if you stay overnight, that is becasue you are paying for 2 days. I don't believe that it is doubled for each day.

I think it's worth another call to the NY Waterway or a visit to their website at http://www.nywaterway.com/portimperial_w38.html

Good Luck.

Wayne

Imagination - Jan '96

Destiny - Jan '98

Miracle - July 3, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;3;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

It would be nice if it worked out that way, Wayne, thanks. I think that's the route we'd go no matter what the cost, but I will still call them and verify.

Archived