Mr. S.'s long Eastern Liberty Review 1-7-06

mr saging

Us, two 30-somethings looking for a great vacation and getaway. I have cruised before but first cruise for my wife.

Right out of the box – had a great time except for the last 12 hours of the cruise due to rough seas. Pictures of many things described here are located on my yahoo photos site – http://photos.yahoo.com/~mrsaging – but if you read this review first the pictures will make a little more sense.

Pre-cruise

Flew in the night before from Arizona. Took hotel shuttle to hotel. Stayed at Holiday Inn Express Convention Center. Checked in, and scheduled shuttle for the morning. This hotel outsources a shuttle company at three different times to go to the cruise terminals in Port Everglades. We opted for the first one, which I believe was 10:30 am. It was much colder than expected – probably 50 degrees at 8 pm. We walked several blocks over to Bimini Boatyard restaurant. Food ok, service was terrible. Just our experience as we did not have a server that night who was particularly interested in service – extremely slow. On the walk back, stopped at Walgreens for some nail polish remover and some water. Next morning hit the free breakfast buffet, waffles, danish, muffins, toast, cereal, juice, milk, etc. Got on board the shuttle with maybe 20 other passengers all going to 4-5 different ships. We were the last ones to be dropped off.

Day 1 – Embarkation

Got dropped off in front of the cruise terminal about 11:15 am. Our driver took our luggage off right in front of the porter’s luggage cage-things and so we tipped our driver and not the porter since the porter only had to “carry” the luggage two feet. Got in line out front. Waited outside as the line slowly trekked closer to the entrance, about 45 minutes. After getting inside around noon, we waited another 15 minutes in a room before being allowed to go into the check-in area. Checked in, received sail & sign cards, through security, picture taken for security, up escalator, on ship by 12:20 pm.

Entered in lobby area, main atrium on the ship. Went immediately to our room downstairs, Riviera 1387, outside, starboard side. Door was open, room steward said rooms will not be ready until 1:30 pm but we could put our carryons there, so dropped our backpacks and headed upstairs for lunch. Hit the lunch buffet as well as the fish & chips place, and sat near there in the upper level of Emile’s overlooking the harbor and several other ships. In port that day were the MSC Lirica, Holland America Zuiderdam, Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas, Radisson Seven Seas Navigator, and Princess’ Sun Princess and Caribbean Princess. After taking some pictures outside we did the salon/spa tour, walked around the ship and took a quick nap before the muster drill. Lifeboat drill at 4:30 pm, due to the ship’s location, we were almost the last to leave the harbor and did not leave until around 5:20-5:30 pm. We had early seating dinner and went at 5:45. We found our table of two in the upper level Silver Olympian (aft) dining room starboard side and met our waiter, Ihlan (male) from Romania, and assistant waiter Asta (female) from Latvia. Both gave us great service the entire cruise. I had beef & barley soup, salad, and chicken with herbs. My wife had gazpacho (tomato vegetable) soup, steak and Indian vegetarian entrees. I enjoyed my food but my wife had mixed feelings about everything she ate.

We got our luggage delivered to our room just before dinner, so after dinner we went back to the room to unpack and organize the room. There are two closets for hanging clothes with wood hangers, maybe 10 in each, and another closet the same size with shelves. On the lower left side of the desk/mirror, there were four small drawers and on the lower right side was the fridge inside the cabinet. There was another cabinet on the far lower right with two small shelves. Just below the tv was the cabinet with the in-room safe. My wife put stuff in there and used her driver’s license to seal it – you can use any kind of card with a magnetic strip. Do not recommend using the sign & sail card for this. If you lose your card, you also lose anything in the safe as well. On the counter in the bathroom was a small amenity kit with toothpaste samples, mouthwash, razors, Rolaids, and some lotion I think. In the shower were two dispensers for dove soap (cucumber tea) and dove shampoo.

We walked around the ship some more and went to the welcome aboard show at 10:30 pm. There was one short musical act and then cruise director Brent Mitchell did one of the typical icebreakers, interviewing people followed by the spoon & string game. Went back to the room to sleep while my wife stayed up to watch a movie.

Day 2 – Sea Day

Woke up, went to breakfast buffet – has apples, oranges, grapefruit (my wife ate everyday), cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and bananas for fruit. Milk (skim, white or chocolate), yogurt, hot selections included grits, scrambled eggs, sausage, ham, fried potatoes, toast, French toast (sometimes pancakes), bacon, and waffles. There were also many cereal choices as well. Each line had an omelet station as well. They can make omelets with any of the ingredients (tomato, peppers, cheese, etc.) or just make eggs, fried or scrambled if you want.

Later than morning went to travel talk about getting off the ship. Was told that we were running fast without the stabilizers due to a medical emergency. The ship was bouncing around a bit but it didn’t bother either of us at all. I guess some people were quite bothered by it though. At noon went to lunch. I had pizza and my wife had the wok station. Also snagged some cheesecake. For those of you unfamiliar with Carnival Conquest-class ships, lunch options are numerous. In the back of the ship are the pizzeria (pizza, calzones, caesar’s salad, picture of menu on day 7) and the grill (burgers, hot dogs, chicken). In Emile’s are four buffet lines, two in back and two in the middle of the ship. One of the four has a different international theme for lunch each day. The other three have the same food. Between these on the sides of the ship are two other places – on the port side was the deli, and the starboard side an oriental counter (for menu see picture with a menu called “Asian Corner” on the first day. In the same area as the middle buffet line was the wok station – you put what you want to eat in a bowl and the guy cooks it for you with a choice of sauce. The vegetables were the same each day (peppers, carrots, onions, radishes, etc.) and you could choose beef, chicken or seafood (seafood changed each day, mussels, shrimps, squid, fish, etc.). The three sauces were the same each day – black bean mild, Thai BBQ medium, or Szechwan hot. Throughout the cruise I had the wok station twice and enjoyed it both times with Thai BBQ sauce. My wife had it 4-5 times with both the Thai BBQ and the Szechwan hot sauce. In addition to all of these, there is a fish & chips place upstairs with the same menu each day (picture of menu on day 1). Right by the stairway to the fish & chips place is a dessert buffet with different desserts each day.

At 1:00 pm went to ice carving demonstration on deck. Saw an angelfish carved. Watched hairy chest contest. Yikes! My wife did the Pilates class in the spa at 3 pm for $10 fee. This was the first formal night as well as move the clocks forward one hour night. We did change time to Atlantic time for this cruise and changed back on the second formal night.

We did not take pictures of the menus for dinner each night but wished we would have. We only have I think two menu pictures. But we did manage to take food pictures each night for those who are interested. That night I ate shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, prime rib, the Essence of Japan and tiramisu. My wife had shrimp cocktail, strawberry soup, tossed salad, lobster tail and a pear tart. We enjoyed all of it. Went to the first main show “Wonderful World” with numbers from different cultures. Enjoyed the show. Not sure how anyone can really complain with the limited space on a ship for staging, sets, number of people involved and musicians. Was this a Broadway or Las Vegas-caliber production? No. Was a great show exceeding my expectations? Yes. Dancers, singers, musicians, lighting, sets…all good. After show went to back of ship, got some hot tea and lemonade, and sat and talked for awhile before going back to room. We are low-key, non-party types so I don’t have any information to offer regarding late-night lounge entertainment options aside from what the Capers said.

Day 3 – San Juan

Wife woke up 7 am to go work out. Came back and went to breakfast buffet. Went to port shopping talk from 10:45-11:45. The dude throws out freebies into the crowd and other raffle tickets and good information was given. I had been to three of the five ports before but not for a long time. So good to get caught up with the info. At 12:30 pm went to our one and only time for lunch in the dining room. I had a burger and my wife had a fruit plate and spinach & mushroom ravioli. Sat with a couple whose daughter was a PVP for Carnival (personal vacation planner). Had some interesting conversation there. Went up on deck later that afternoon, around 3 pm, to watch us come into the San Juan harbor on the port side of the ship. Just as we were about to pass the famous Fort El Morro, I accidentally knocked my wife’s glasses out of her hand and into the sea. Boy did I feel bad about that one. She only uses them for driving or seeing really far, but what a bummer. The only good thing was she was planning her yearly eye doctor checkup after we got back anyway. Needless to say at the time of this writing new glasses have already been ordered.

We went downstairs and got off the ship shortly after 4 pm. We were scheduled to arrive at 5 pm, so not really much of a gain for all of our two days of supposed “running fast.” We walked through old town and directly to the fort, about a 30-minute walk. Entrance fee was $3.00. I just love this fort and have been here before several times (pre-digital camera era), so we spent some time here walking around and snapping many pictures. We walked back down part of the main shopping street, only stopping in 1-2 stores to buy a spoon for the spoon collection as we were hungry and wanted to eat on the ship. We thought about going back out to shop on shore after dinner but didn’t bother as I knew we had many other places better than San Juan to do so later in the cruise.

For dinner that night I had broccoli and cheddar soup, rigatoni with peppers & mushroom appetizer, filet mignon and some pastry with chocolate cream dessert. My wife had southwestern egg roll, cucumber salad, scallops, hen (which we shared), and what ended up being her favorite dessert of the trip, a coconut pineapple tart. We both enjoyed all of our food that night.

It was chilly outside but we watched on the big screen outside part of “Million Dollar Baby” then went underneath out of the wind on deck where we could hear the movie but not see it. We played dominoes out there (brought from home) until 9:45 and went for a nap. At 11:15 went up to Mexican buffet which has been a Carnival tradition in San Juan night stops for decades. The deck party didn’t happen because of some wind and rain outside and the Mexican buffet was average, not as good as I remember in the late 80’s when I did it twice. Ship left at 11:55 pm, and watched it leave the harbor. Back to the room for a late night movie, “Mr. & Mrs. Smith.”

Day 4 – St. Thomas

Woke up 7:30 am (brought travel alarm clock, no clock in room). Breakfast buffet, got off ship 9 am, we had booked Sunny Liston tour in advance, found him within 5 minutes on shore, led us to his vehicle full of 20 or so others and off we went into town. Shopping downtown for three hours, but not enough time. Can’t believe I’m actually saying that but it’s true. I love St. Thomas and a few hours is hardly enough to take in this lovely island. Got a quick lunch at Pizza Hut (yes I’m embarrassed to admit it but it’s true). Could have used another few hours of shopping time but the tour calls. Met Sunny again at the meeting place and off we went. Made a few stops around the island such as Mountain Top and Drake’s Seat. Then to Sapphire Beach for two hours. Water was cold. Didn’t swim much. All of my previous cruises had been between May-August and I didn’t realize that the water got so cold during other times of the year. Sunny picked us up and went back to ship. Before getting on we shopped Havensight for maybe a half hour. Shower and change for dinner.

That night I had shrimp and fried-coated something, French onion soup, breaded veal, and pasta with shrimp and scallops, butter pecan ice cream for dessert. Didn’t care for the veal, a little dry, but everything else was good. My wife had escargot, spinach & mushroom salad, jerk pork loin and a fruit mousse dessert. She liked all of it.

Day 5 – Antigua

Did not plan to do much this day as we had a busy day in St. Thomas and more stuff planned for Tortola. Breakfast on Lido, got off ship in St. John’s and walked around for 90 minutes. Came back on for lunch buffet and an hour nap. Went back out on shore shopping. Came back on board and did the water slide for my one and only time. Watched “Finding Nemo” on the big screen and relaxed on deck before we sailed.

For dinner that night I had farfalle pasta with turkey cream sauce appetizer, won ton soup (not very good), greek salad, sole, and bitter chocolate melting cake. The latter was the best dessert I had the entire cruise. Definitely thumbs up for any chocolate lover. It was more like pudding than cake. It may not sound too appetizing but I thought it tasted great! My wife had duck appetizer, cream of lychee soup (she loved it), crab meat appetizer, sole, and cherry cheesecake. Also forgot to mention that my wife had hot tea just about every night after dinner. Our assistant waiter brought over a box of teas to our table and my wife picked a different one each night.

We walked around the immense picture gallery, talked to a photographer (my is from the Philippines and half of the photographers were Filipino) and went to the evening show. The evening show as a tribute to Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. More of a big band feel and we enjoyed it.

Day 6 – Tortola

Woke up 7 am, breakfast buffet, off ship by 8:30 am. Planned to do Virgin Gorda on our own. 15 minute brisk walk to the ferry docks, perhaps 6 blocks or so, got tickets at the booth and on the ferry. Took Speedy’s ferry, $30 pp, includes taxi on Virgin Gorda to the Baths. About 35 minute ferry ride, then open-air taxi with 10-15 other people to the Baths. Entrance fee $3, walked down trail about ¼ mile to the beach. Climbed around the boulders to the right, hung out for awhile, went inside the first “room” of the devil’s beach trail and went back up around 11:30 am to visit the store. Taxi took us back to the dock at noon, but ferry was 20 minutes late. Left Virgin Gorda around 1 pm, back in Tortola 1:35 or so. Shopped around the stores, craft market area (best place for souvenirs we felt), snagged some shirts, walked back to ship. Started to rain a bit as we got on. Dropped off backpacks in room, got calzones from pizzeria, definitely recommend. Not the best calzone I’ve had in my life, but better than I expected for a cruise ship. Worth trying. Also had pistachio napoleon from dessert buffet, really good. My wife had some tilapia fillets and also shrimp and stir-fry from the wok station with the spicy sauce. Ship left 3 pm and watched as it went through the channel between many of the BVI islands – wonderful views. Some areas were cloudy and raining so many rainbow pictures to be had. What a beautiful part of the world. Wish I could re-do this part of the cruise again. Took many pictures.

Dinner that night I had chestnut soup (really good), beef, and some caramel dessert. My wife had crab legs (a little small), squash/green mango soup (didn’t like) and some seafood thing with the same caramel dessert. After dinner wandered around shops on board and went to play some games.

Day 7 – Sea day

Woke up and went to our one and only breakfast in the dining room. Nothing special and not much different is offered than can be had on deck. Went to Nassau shopping talk, relaxed on deck, went to debarkation talk, then lunch buffet. Had a great slice of mango cheesecake for dessert. Relaxed some more – this is a cruise – and went to 3:45 pm tea time. Walked around ship then back to room to get ready for second formal night.

At dinner I had grilled portabello mushroom (good), caesar salad, quail, tiger shrimps, and chestnut chocolate mousse napoleon. My wife had crab cakes, salad, perch and same dessert. We both enjoyed all our food. Went to show lounge by 7:30 pm for 8:30 show to get choice of seats. Sat upstairs two rows behind sound man and had great view of the show. Show was “Rock Down Broadway” and had numbers from many musicals such as Godspell, Joseph, Jesus Christ Superstar, Grease, Rent, Hair, Fame, etc. I felt it was the better of the two shows. The song selection, band and choreography were great. This is easy to say since I knew probably 80% or more of the songs. I guess if you’re not familiar with musicals you might not enjoy this show as much, but wife did not many of the songs and she loved the show as well, so just depends I guess on if you like this style of music.

Day 8 – Nassau cancelled

Woke up to heavy seas. Breakfast buffet. Found out there was a storm system that moved through Alabama and southern U.S. and out to sea. We entered it just before morning. There was rain on and off during the day but mostly really strong winds. The captain claimed the seas were 12 foot waves but from our cabin window on Riveria deck (about 4-5 decks above the water) it looked like some of the waves were about on the level just below us, which had to be at least 20 foot swells. Went to the internet café for my one and only time to check in for flights. $3.95 activation fee (good for entire cruise) plus $.75 per minute. I was online for 1 minute and 52 seconds and it cost me $5.45. There were also two different time plans you could purchase but I don’t know the details. Ship had wireless coverage bow to stern but we don’t have a laptop so don’t know the quality, download speeds, etc. Cruise director announced that we would not be stopping at Nassau because the winds were too high to enter the harbor area. I’m guessing we were around 3-5 miles away when we turned around. Went to lunch. The “Taste of the Nations” today was the chocolate buffet. Something like 30 or more chocolate related items. We each stocked up on 4-5 chocolate things after eating real food. I liked the chocolate cheesecake the best. By the time dinner rolled around, the movement of the ship started to bother me. At dinner I had mushroom soup, half of a chicken queasily appetizer and nothing of the fettuccini pasta I ordered. My wife was still unaffected and she had mango soup (loved it), fruit plate, and some seafood dish. Walked around outside for a minute, but too cold and windy. Packed and put luggage outside door. Both of us slept bad that night.

Day 9 – Debarkation

Around 6:40 am was first call for self-assist. Last call was around 7:15 am or so. 7:40 am was first call for early flight departures. We were still eating in the breakfast buffet. We got off ship around 9 am, through immigration, found luggage, out the door, walked towards parking garage, in taxi, in airport security line by 9:30 am. On plane back home. Sigh. :(

I have all Carnival Capers and shopping guides for this cruise. I can answer questions but I’m not always on this website everyday, so you may get a quick answer and maybe not. Just trying to be honest folks. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it. :cool:

Man this board is slow today. Took me awhile to be able to reply. Anyway,

Piano Man for our cruise was Duane. I know he's been on other ships but I have no idea how often he changes ships.

We did not do Harry's because we were on a tight budget and choose to spend the money on the islands instead. If we did this cruise again and had the money for Harry's I probably would choose the St. Thomas or Tortola days to eat there as far as menu-wise. However, as Beach4Me and others may have mentioned in different posts/reviews of this cruise, the menus have changed on the Eastern Liberty itinerary from time to time. I think I remember our waiter saying something about this as well, but I can't quite recall exactly what he said.

As I have not cruised since 1999, a new thing for me was the menus being posted on the tv in your room. Just click "menu" on your remote and you can access the ship system. This has food information, your ship's sign & sail account (folio), the ship's navagational information including maps, position and weather information, movies and other stuff as well.

The first day I went wandering around looking for the dinner menu which on previous cruises in the past was posted on the wall outside one of the dining rooms. When I couldn't find it I was upset. Then later, when we were back in the room, I found the menu on the tv. My wife, who has never cruised before, said, "this is hi-tech now, not like when you used to cruise." Ouch...but it was funny.

The interactive tv with the food menu only has it for that day, not the entire cruise of course. And we found that several of the dinner menus posted on the tv had errors - either items on the tv menu which were not on the menu when we got to the dining room or the reverse. But it was probably 90% reliable. Lunch menus were not posted for the dining room, only the taste of the nations theme for the buffet. Wish they did post the lunch menu, although I don't know if it would've made us go to the dining room for lunch more than the one time we did.

Forgot one thing about the photographers on board. Photographers (17 on board as we learned talking to one of them), take your picture just about every time you get off the ship at each port, as well as when you board for the first time. They also occasionally wander around the dining rooms on the formal nights as well as other areas and times on the ship during the cruise. On the Promenade deck, they have 5-6 places set up for formal pictures with different backdrops. This was every night I believe at certain hours which are posted. You can go to as many of these "stations" as you want as many nights as you want and have your picture taken for no fee. The next day all pictures taken will be posted in the picture gallery. We only did this the second formal night and my wife bought one of the poses. However, we regretted that we did not do this every day and then we would've had a larger set of pictures/poses to choose the best one from at the end of the cruise. Formal picture sizes begin at 8 x 10 for $19.99. You have to buy one and then you can buy other packages of smaller pictures. The ones they take of you when you get off the ship can be bought in smaller sizes I believe, (6 x 9?) for $6.99 or something like that.

Just another hint for those who want a nice picture to bring back home.

Hi,

My name is Mona, I read your review and looked at the pics....very nice, now I can't wait for my cruise on Feb 4....

You're saying that you didn't have a laptop ? What type of camera did you use ? Those were high quality pics. How big the memory sticks/scan disks ? Those scan disks were enough for approx how many pics ? I plan to take lots of pics myself, and I want to make sure I don't run out of memory, it would be a bummer. Do you think 1.5GB in scan disks would be enough ?

Thank you

Mona

Wow, great review & pictures! I really enjoyed them both...thanks for providing such detail...I love it! You & your wife are a fine looking couple & look like you were really enjoying all the cruise had to offer!

Just one small question...in the picture from the day at sea your wife is snoozing in a lounger on a deserted, shady deck. Where was that? It looks like a great place to hunker in with a book some afternoon.

Thanks!

Archived