What To Wear In March?

dmk

I have read a number of threads about the climate in Hawaii. Some have found the Pacific crossing cool. Others have encountered rainy weather.

I am trying to get a clearer picture for myself of what to bring in March. So here are my questions:

1. From LA to Hawaii, do I need a jacket and pants or will I be able to sit by the pool?

2. On an excursion to Waimea Falls what should I bring?

3. Going to Volcano park, clothing suggestions.

4. At Waikiki beach during the day?

5. In Honolulu in the evening?

I have read a number of threads about the climate in Hawaii. Some have found the Pacific crossing cool. Others have encountered rainy weather.

I am trying to get a clearer picture for myself of what to bring in March. So here are my questions:

1. From LA to Hawaii, do I need a jacket and pants or will I be able to sit by the pool?

Most ships have a covered pool, so even if it is cool, you should be able to sit out by the pool. Nonetheless, you'll need jacket/pants for the upper elevations in Hawaii.

2. On an excursion to Waimea Falls what should I bring?

Could be damp. Might be coolish. I'd suggest lightweight waterproof type jacket, maybe cotton slacks if you think you'd be too cool in shorts.

3. Going to Volcano park, clothing suggestions.

Closed toed shoes (no thong/flip flop/slippers) cotton slacks or jeans if you are going out on the lava, tee shirt, light jacket you can tie around your waist. You're going from around 3,500 ft elevation, cool, misty at the visitor's center down to sea level, possibly hiking out on the lava to the active flow. The top will likely be cool, the bottom hot, but you should wear slacks to minimize any potential injury should you fall. I always take bandaids with me to Volcano. I think I've ended up using or handing them out every trip. Fresh lava has (literally) a glass finish on the top and if you should slip and fall, it cuts like glass. Go slowly and carefully, watch where and how you are stepping, stay on the marked "path" and don't under any circumstances go beyond the point that the rangers mark as safe. Take water, and if you are going out past sunset, take a flashlight.

4. At Waikiki beach during the day? Should be warm. Bathing suit, coverup or shorts to pull on over the suit, slippers are fine. You'll see pretty much everything in Waikiki.

5. In Honolulu in the evening? Aloha wear is always appropriate. Guys should wear long pants to nicer places, and tuck in the aloha shirt. Ladies can do a nice mu'umu'u or holoku (a more fitted, vaguely Edwardian looking mu'umu'u) or anything you'd wear for "smart casual" night on board. Sandals are fine for both men and women.

A'ole pilikia!

Archived