Excursion 3 Reef Snorklibg

Lbrussel

My husband and I are taking our first cruise. We’re really interested in going snorkeling in Cozumel. We found excursion thru Shore Fox for snorkeling at 3 reefs in Cozumel. El Cielo, Colombia and  Palancar that’s thru Shore Fox. 

Has anyone had experience using them or doing this type of excursion? Or can you suggest another excursion or operator? 

We’ll be on Harmony of the Seas Aug 18th cruise. Thank you. 

We've done that excursion twice both times with a different tour guide.  The snorkeling was great, saw a turtle, barracuda and tons of other fish and coral. The last time we went was with chac choc tours, we actually booked through cozumel-tours.com and they made the arrangements.  The Captain and crew were great but the boat was so crowded about 10 people got off when they stopped to pick up people from a hotel.  If they would not have gotten off it would have been super tight.

I would highly recommend the tour but be aware depending on the tour company there may be tight quarters.  Also just an FYI El Cielo is not a reef it's shallow water where you can see star fish.

Have fun!

Thank you so much for the info. I’ll just look for a different company. It sounded like a lot of fun, I just don’t want to be on a boat that’s too crowded. Also thanks for the info on El Cielo. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 3:23 PM, Lbrussel said:

Thank you so much for the info. I’ll just look for a different company. It sounded like a lot of fun, I just don’t want to be on a boat that’s too crowded. Also thanks for the info on El Cielo. 

Check out Mystic Snorkel.  We were in Cozumel in early May.  I booked them because I did not want to be in a large group.  They only book small groups.  Here is a overview of our morning with them.

- Booking was easy by email.  Deposit by PayPal.  USD Cash remainder when you arrive.

- Taxi from port was easy and inexpensive. $10USD  with tip.

- Cucci from the company called out to us as we were walking towards the boats.  He then guided us to the pier where they dock.

- He gave us the bad news.  The other group had missed the ferry and we were on our own. lol

- They fitted us with equipment and even had prescription glasses for my wife and daughter.  The equipment looked new.

- The boat is not very large.  As we left the marina we could see the other larger boats also hiding out to the reef.  But smaller boat means faster speed and after a minute or 2 we lost sight of the pack.  To get in the water you go over the side - you can go feet first. Getting back on board is by ladder over side.  A bit tricky to get your fins off and climb the ladder but the guide and driver will help you.

- We were offered life vests but for some reason didn't take them.  I am still not sure why.  We are strong swimmers but my girls had never snorkelled before.  Best decision ever.  The guide will throw a life ring in the water with you and honestly we all floated with little effort. (just stay horizontal most of the time)  I have always found the vests to be a pain.

- We went to El Cielo first.  Amazing.  Not much to see other than numerous starfish but worth the quick stop.

- Columbia reef - amazing - and the best snorkelling I have done anywhere (I've been to Playa del Carmen, Key Largo, Anguilla, Jamaica).  There is a current so you literally just hang horizontal and drift.  The guide (we had Sebastian) will point out eels, pick up a conch shell for you, etc.  We saw 2 green sea turtles, barracuda, sting rays (small ones) and teams of fish that will surround you as you swim.  The other groups were here - swimming in circles, if they weren't lined up to get off the boat.

- Palancar was next.  This is more for divers as it is deeper water with more elaborate coral.  The depth makes it hard to get a good snorkelling experience.  Sebastian asked if we wanted to try something else and we said yes.  So we went to 4th spot.  Lots of fish again.

- They then dropped us off at Albertos Restaurant for lunch.  (literally on the beach)  This is maybe the owners place, not sure?  The food was authentic Mexican (my MIL lives on the south Texas border) and a little cheaper than the cruise ship pier area.  However the taxi ride was about $25+tip wiping out the savings.  They will drop you on the beach anywhere on the way back - Paradise Island, Mr Sanchos, no problem.

- I tipped the guide and boat driver $20 each.

- We also had fresh fruit and soft drinks.  The fruit was really good, especially the mangos.

1 hour ago, ArmchairQB said:

Check out Mystic Snorkel.  We were in Cozumel in early May.  I booked them because I did not want to be in a large group.  They only book small groups.  Here is a overview of our morning with them.

- Booking was easy by email.  Deposit by PayPal.  USD Cash remainder when you arrive.

- Taxi from port was easy and inexpensive. $10USD  with tip.

- Cucci from the company called out to us as we were walking towards the boats.  He then guided us to the pier where they dock.

- He gave us the bad news.  The other group had missed the ferry and we were on our own. lol

- They fitted us with equipment and even had prescription glasses for my wife and daughter.  The equipment looked new.

- The boat is not very large.  As we left the marina we could see the other larger boats also hiding out to the reef.  But smaller boat means faster speed and after a minute or 2 we lost sight of the pack.  To get in the water you go over the side - you can go feet first. Getting back on board is by ladder over side.  A bit tricky to get your fins off and climb the ladder but the guide and driver will help you.

- We were offered life vests but for some reason didn't take them.  I am still not sure why.  We are strong swimmers but my girls had never snorkelled before.  Best decision ever.  The guide will throw a life ring in the water with you and honestly we all floated with little effort. (just stay horizontal most of the time)  I have always found the vests to be a pain.

- We went to El Cielo first.  Amazing.  Not much to see other than numerous starfish but worth the quick stop.

- Columbia reef - amazing - and the best snorkelling I have done anywhere (I've been to Playa del Carmen, Key Largo, Anguilla, Jamaica).  There is a current so you literally just hang horizontal and drift.  The guide (we had Sebastian) will point out eels, pick up a conch shell for you, etc.  We saw 2 green sea turtles, barracuda, sting rays (small ones) and teams of fish that will surround you as you swim.  The other groups were here - swimming in circles, if they weren't lined up to get off the boat.

- Palancar was next.  This is more for divers as it is deeper water with more elaborate coral.  The depth makes it hard to get a good snorkelling experience.  Sebastian asked if we wanted to try something else and we said yes.  So we went to 4th spot.  Lots of fish again.

- They then dropped us off at Albertos Restaurant for lunch.  (literally on the beach)  This is maybe the owners place, not sure?  The food was authentic Mexican (my MIL lives on the south Texas border) and a little cheaper than the cruise ship pier area.  However the taxi ride was about $25+tip wiping out the savings.  They will drop you on the beach anywhere on the way back - Paradise Island, Mr Sanchos, no problem.

- I tipped the guide and boat driver $20 each.

- We also had fresh fruit and soft drinks.  The fruit was really good, especially the mangos.

Thank you so much. That’s sounds exactly what I was looking for. I especially like them offering a different spot to snorkel at. I’ll definitely look them up. 

• Like 1

I also used Mystic Snorkel and had a good experience. There was a large group so Coochi divided us in to 2 boats. I was solo and ended up with a family of 4, so just 5 of us on the boat. The current was so bad that day that we only did 2 stops, but I don't fault Mystic for that. They offered to stop but the other family I was with we so sea sick that I declined. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, travelingtink said:

I also used Mystic Snorkel and had a good experience. There was a large group so Coochi divided us in to 2 boats. I was solo and ended up with a family of 4, so just 5 of us on the boat. The current was so bad that day that we only did 2 stops, but I don't fault Mystic for that. They offered to stop but the other family I was with we so sea sick that I declined. 

Thanks for information. I really appreciate it. 

From both of the reviews, Mystic someone I’ll be contacting. I like the fact they didn’t overload the boats and they have alternatives plans if needed. 

• Like 1