"Paperless Cruising?"

Steve007NY

We just booked the 2/26 Lirica cruise from *****.com, and were told that we would not be receiving ANY documents from MSC, as this was a paperless cruise, and all we would get was a fax/printable email from VTG which we could exchange for documents at embarkation.

Having now read several postings here about your documents being received, I'm beginning to get (in the words of Mel Brooks) 'very very nervous'.

Should I be, or have others experienced the same thing?

PLEASE RESPOND and help me alleviate my anxiety!

Steve

It seems clear things like the wine ordering and shore excursions shouldn't be a problem, but I guess we've gotten SO used to filling out all the paperwork beforehand, luggage tags, etc. that it'll be a hassle doing so on site. Also, we're coming in from anotehr trip with a slightly tight connection. But mostly, it's the combination of not hearing ANYONE ELSE mention this, and the loss of the anticipatory excitement of having the hard copies in hand.

Has anyone else actually done MSC paperless?

We booked MSC Opera for January 28th, also through ***** and were told that we would not receive documents. Two weeks ago they arrived in the mail in a nice little vinyl pouch. Our travel agent was in shock and could not explain why we received documentation. Neither could she get an answer from MSC. It sounds like another bug in the process that MSC still needs to work through logistically.

-yergie

Steve,

You have over a month until your cruise, have you tried calling MSC directly??? There office is here in Fort Lauderdale and I know as a travel agent I have had to call frequently and bug them in order to get actual documents for my clients, but I have never not gotten them in time.

The number is 1-800-666-9333, its worth a phone call(or 2 or 3 LOL) to try and alleviate your anxiety, maybe they will just send them out to you.

However, I do agree with everyone else, you can go paperless with them, most of the cruise lines are doing this now, as long as you have your booking number and proper ID you should be good to go.

Cindee

Steve007NY

I'm with you on the 2-26 Lirica and prefer to have my documents in hand, rather then hassle with forms at the dock. I sent an e-mail to VTG but haven't heard from them. Last year on Lirica I had them well in advance.

After all the bad postings in the last few weeks I'm now concerned about the cruise.

Traveling Lady

We called and specfically asked the agent a VTG to request that we be sent paper documents (again, not a distrurst, exactly, of e-ticketing, though in light of some of the critiques of MSC lately, might be a bit wary) but to save time/hassle at embarkation)

We were told by VTG they would specifically request that papers be mailed to us, but that the line wouldn't PROMISE to do so, but would 'try'. With three weeks to go, wonder what the issue is.

steve

• 2 weeks later...
We called and specifically asked the agent a VTG to request that we be sent paper documents (again, not a distrust, exactly, of e-ticketing, though in light of some of the critiques of MSC lately, might be a bit wary) but to save time/hassle at embarkation)

We were told by VTG they would specifically request that papers be mailed to us, but that the line wouldn't PROMISE to do so, but would 'try'. With three weeks to go, wonder what the issue is.

steve

Steve,

As you already know, I've been back from Opera for a week now. I DID have docs and they came very late. My TA had been told that they were having "computer problems" in that regard. The only doc related issue that I'm aware of from within my group of 22 is that my cabin mate and I hadn't met before the cruise and don't live anywhere near each other and there was only one complete set for the two of us. It wasn't a problem for us and I doubt that situation comes up with any regularity.

That said, I think this was the smoothest boarding I've ever had.

Marsha

Thanks! Always carry a bunch of stick on address labels, in wallet and passport case, since also use them as quick substitute for business cards when we meet folks socially.

STILL worried that we won't/don't have paper docs... just seems like enough things go wrong without having this additional worry!

S

I was on the Opera for the Christmas cruise of '04. I had only booked a little over a week before leaving, so I had no papers, just numbers. All went well, no problems whatsover. It truly was a smooth process. As far as all the negatives you might read here, I think the most important thing to remember is that you are there to have fun. I didn't like it at first, but I changed my mind. I had to open up to what other cultures enjoy as "their life" and open my life up to experience it. Once I did that, I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and I want to go again. I found most of the staff to be very warm and friendly. Yes, there will be some that are not so friendly and for the most part, they are the ones that you don't have to talk to as much. (I noticed it to be mostly the women behind the front desk/excursion area's.) One more thing, kind of a little secret in the beginning....Go to the back of the ship and enjoy the balconies, it is so relaxing back there (till everyone else finds it!). Enjoy your cruise!:)

Actually, John and I are old hands at adjusting... exotica seekers, in fact! Why do I think this won't be half the challenge of living in a longhouse with hunter-gatherers in Siberut (NO, NOT a tour) or with Hmong and their cattle in northern Thailand!

Actually, I speak a reasonable amount of Indonesian, as well as French and Spanish, so should enjoy speaking to the non-european wait staff (Heck, how often to I get to use Bihasa outside of SE Asia!)

Thanks! Always carry a bunch of stick on address labels, in wallet and passport case, since also use them as quick substitute for business cards when we meet folks socially.

STILL worried that we won't/don't have paper docs... just seems like enough things go wrong without having this additional worry!

S

Steve,

We didn't have anything to fill out, at any point. So that isn't a consideration. If you need the reassurance, take along a copy of whatever the TA sent to you. But as I said, we got ours "late", unfortunately I didn't keep track of exactly when I got them.

FWIW, I never put my luggage tags on before getting to the destination. Too easy to lose them en-route. I also am pretty careful about leaving my address exposed. I do however write up an itinerary including pretty much anything and everything and put that into my bags and carry one on me. I have how I'm getting to and from the airport, who's taking care of my cat, emergency contacts, my passport number, insurance info, ANYTHING that I might need to have at hand, all on one piece of paper. While I rarely "need" it, it's very reassuring to have.

I also carry stick on address labels and two versions of my cards (one with everything, the other doesn't have my last name, address or home phone).

Marsha

I booked a last minute curise on the Opera on Thurs for sailing on Saturday Feb 4th.

No problems with paperless booking/tickets.

I would recommend calling MSC and to get your cabin number before you arrive at the pier. That will make checking your bags that much quicker.

This was the fastest I've ever checked in and got on a boat ever.

Of course it was supposedly under capacity by 400 passengers.

Timing is important for check-in. I've always found that most are chomping at the bit to get on the boat and hit the buffet.

We checked in around 230pm.

Yo-

Just a note to say that we just received our tickets and other items (luggage tags, 'what to expect' pamphlet, deck plan, three 'Lirica' postcards, etc) from MSC today - encased in a very attractive blue cloth pouch with the MSC logo - for our March 20 'Lirica' Western Caribbean cruise-

No 'paperless' for us-

Mike

Archived