Anyone Visit NCL Private Island 1/19??

SDJ

The Sun was rerouted to Freeport instead of NCL's private island in the Bahamas on 1/17 because the captain said a large wave damaged the island. I am wondering if any other NCL cruise ships were told the same thing?

The Sun was rerouted to Freeport instead of NCL's private island in the Bahamas on 1/17 because the captain said a large wave damaged the island. I am wondering if any other NCL cruise ships were told the same thing?

we didn't go on our Dawn 1/02 cruise and the reason was that because of the high winds, and the fact that GSC is a tender port, it would be inadvisable.

I was happy when the Captain announced it as I'd never been to Nassau before.

Our 1/8/06 Jewel cruise missed it also, but I thought bad weather was the cause. We were then supposed to go to Key West, but that was cancelled at the last minute due to bad weather - so we spent an extra beautiful, relaxing day at sea.

My 1/12 Dawn cruise missed it as well. Capt. stated that most of the beach was taken away due to a big storm and that they were bring in sand to fix the island as fast as they could.

We were dealing with this storm our whole trip. Made the waves in the ocean large and hard to get into the ocean.

The 1/15 Jewel cruise missed GSC because of a "cold front" that came through and caused damage to the island. We were scheduled to be there on Saturday 1/21 but went to Freeport instead.

We were on the Dawn in October and they told us that the tide was too high and so there wouldn't be any beach. I wonder when the last ship went there. We went in December 2003 and had a great, relaxing day.

Jackie :cool:

We were on the Dawn in October and they told us that the tide was too high and so there wouldn't be any beach. I wonder when the last ship went there. We went in December 2003 and had a great, relaxing day.

I was on the Jewel Nov 13th sailing...and we went to the private Island. I don't think that the beach there is very big to begin with...........they do have a rock wall that separates the actual beachfront from the rest of things (food, band, picnic tables) There is maybe 20 feet between the wall and the water........so its pretty small. I'm not sure if any ships after this were there.

I was on the Jewel Nov 13th sailing...and we went to the private Island. I don't think that the beach there is very big to begin with...........they do have a rock wall that separates the actual beachfront from the rest of things (food, band, picnic tables) There is maybe 20 feet between the wall and the water........so its pretty small. I'm not sure if any ships after this were there.

This is a picture of the beach on GSC from December 2003. Does it still look the same?

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=463679251&photoID=2643228750051977359&security=KPZiAT

This is a picture of the beach on GSC from December 2003. Does it still look the same?

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=463679251&photoID=2643228750051977359&security=KPZiAT

Yup- thats about what it looked like when we were there. The "beach" isn't that big.......and I'm sure it gets very small during high tide.

Yup- thats about what it looked like when we were there. The "beach" isn't that big.......and I'm sure it gets very small during high tide.

No, it isn't that big to begin with. We were really looking forward to going there again. The private island stops are always a relaxing day for us. We missed it this time, but ended up hanging by the pool after a quick trip to Nassau for a little shopping. It was still a fun day. Actually, they were all fun.

12/4 Jewel went to GSC, no problems then.

One of our favorite islands was Labadee a few years back, but we usually like all the private islands. We weren't crazy about one of them though because it was way too crowded on the small beach. I can't remember the name of it, but we had a postage size piece of sand to sit on. Still had fun, just headed back early to the ship.

Archived