Any Suggestion's For A Private Driver/guide In Grand Cayman...????

Suesan Jean

We are going to be in Grand Cayman next month. I had planned that we would rent a car and my DH would drive.

Now, he is not so sure he wants to. Just in case we get into an accident, whatever......:rolleyes:

So, has ANYONE used a private driver and guide in Grand Cayman? Would you reccomend this person and do you have their e-mail???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH....!!!!:) For ANY information you may have to share.......:)

I've been reading here for years, and I don't recall anyone posting about using a private driver in GC. If you could find one, I would imagine it would be very expensive.

We rented a car while we were there and drove all over the island. There wasn't a street that we didn't make it down...or almost all of them anyway. But we were there for a week, and I can understand your hubby's concern about an accident. Our condo wasn't going to be pulling out of port.

I will say that the Cayman's are very polite drivers. Someone always let us in, and we did the same. They'd honk to show their appreciation (where we come from, a honk is usually followed by a hand gesture, but not there!). It's really easy to navigate around the island also. The speed limit isn't that high and traffic seems to just snake along at times. We had no problems driving. We rented a car that had the steering wheel on the left (like in the US). It seemed odd when we climbed in, but it was a snap getting the hang of it. We rented from Andy's and were very pleased.

I will say that the Cayman's are very polite drivers. Someone always let us in, and we did the same. They'd honk to show their appreciation (where we come from, a honk is usually followed by a hand gesture, but not there!). It's really easy to navigate around the island also. The speed limit isn't that high and traffic seems to just snake along at times. We had no problems driving.

We cracked up when we realized that the honking was a way of saying 'thanks'.

We just got back from GC and we rented a Honda from AVIS. We rented with the stearing on the passenger side because I didn't want to fall into old habits. We got a wonderful map from AVIS and off we went.

I have to say, we didn't have the first problem! Driving wasn't at all confusing and we made it around to several spots. We loved the freedom of driving ourselves.

Our rental included everything including insurance, gas, and required permits and it was between $43 and $48 (can't remember exactly now). I don't have the AVIS info handy, put PM me if you would like to get the website.

I highly recommend this.

Ana

We cracked up when we realized that the honking was a way of saying 'thanks'.

You know, at first I didn't realize what they were doing, but I saw it happen over and over and over...and the people were smiling! A friendly lot they are...I was complaining the after we got home as someone was riding my bumper. A woman on a cell phone in her Navigator. Yikes!

We got a wonderful map from AVIS and off we went.

Absolutely! Avis hands out the best road map I've seen of Grand Cayman. Almost worth renting from them for a day just to get that map. :rolleyes: Well, maybe not. I do know where I'm going, more or less.

Thanks for posting the info........I appreciate it.

Drew -

We will be there on Monday - :D - with our 2 small kiddies - ages 4 and 6, can you tell me what is the best beach for them...and the amenities I am looking for are bathrooms, food and drink on/near the beach? Can you help with this or can you point me to the right place to look?

Thanks again!!!!!!

Drew - also - if you know...I was checking the weather.com and it showed 81 degrees for Monday. Do you know about what the water temp is there? We would love for our kids to be able to experience the beautiful beach and water there, do you think the water will be too cool to go in? We are in MD and just the thought of putting our feet in the ocean is hard to fathom :eek: !

Thanks!

Water temperature is about 80 degrees. For the island's residents, that's COLD! :D It will probably feel refreshingly cool to the adults, adn you'll quickly adjust and feel very comfortable. Small kids will appreciate a towel to dry off and wrap up in after they leave the water, especially if there is a bit of a breeze.

I'd suggest taking a taxi up Seven Mile Beach. Sea Grape, or the nearby beach at the Courtyard by Marriott come to mind.

WEAR SUNSCREEN!

Drew, When you suggest the courtyard at Marriott are you referring to a day pass for the beach? What would that cost transportation and admission, please? Our dauughter is in a wheelchair and we are trying to decide how to spend the day. We also need refreshments and bathrooms. any suggestions?

Well, the beaches themselves are public up to the high water mark. They cannot charge simply for admission to put a towel down. They can charge for certain amenities, like beach chairs and such. Seem to recall that Courtyard rents a beach chair for about $10US which includes a drink.

I'm trying to recall the restroom setup at the Courtyard beach. Not sure how easily accessible it is. Perhaps others can comment? Cayman is only marginally better than some other islands in addressing accessibility issues. :( (The bathrooms at Rum Point are definitely accessible.)

Other threads have referenced taxi fares. It's usually a per person basis. If I recall, less than $10US per person round trip to that part of the beach.

Thank's for your post. We have booked a car with Avis, 4-Door, $52.00. I am happy with it. I think I may e-mail them and ask for a car with the wheel on the right side too. So, it will be difficult to forget that we have to drive on the LEFT side of the road, NOT the Right.......:eek: :D

It sure is nice to have a person from Grand Cayman chat here...!!:) :D

I have heard/read only GREAT things about Grand Cayman.......:)

Which beach would be the nicest?? I had planned to go to Rum Point Beach. It sounded quite nice to me.:)

Thank's for ANY information you can give me......!!!!:)

One thing about the Courtyard Marriott, is that you have to cross the street to get to the beach. Not sure if this matters to you, but the road gets very busy at times. If you have to use their facilities, you'd have to cross the street, unless they are right there on the beach.

We stayed next to the Marriott on 7MB, so anything I mentioned about the Marriott was about that hotel.

The "nicest" beach? That is such a loaded word, meaning something different to every person. Cheapest? Closest? Nearest a variety of activities like shopping and restaurants? Least crowded? Best/most varied amenities? Best snorkelling?

For me, I'll take the beach right at my house. :D It's closest to home. Nice beach chairs. It's got a pool. Almost always deserted! And great showers! There's no place like home.

Absolutely, West Bay Rd at the Courtyard beach can be very busy! Remember to look to your RIGHT before stepping out into traffic! But, there are restrooms and food service on the beach at Courtyard. You can also walk a short distance down the beach to Sea Grape, should you so choose.

You've convinced us all Drew. Let's see, expect us at your beach at say 1:oo. lol Now that would be something.

May I ask advice from a real Caymanian? We will be on a stingray tour in the am or until 1:00 pm. Our ship is in port until 6. What would be the best thing for us to do in the afternoon to see Grand Cayman? We are 2 couples in our 60's but very young. Many thanks.

Suesan,

We were there last week and used Paula to drive us (me, DH, DD 7 yrs and DD 3 yrs) up to the Turtle Farm where she gave us a great tour, then down to the beach at the Hyatt. Then arranged for her to pick us up a couple of hours later. Worked out very well for our family - she was really nice and informative, too. Her email is paulaswaby_ebanks@hotmail.com.

Have fun!

Archived