Any good websites or forums to find others to share excursions or tours?

bilbo109

My wife and I are now retired and want to visit Europe again (and again, etc.) over the next few years.  Based on previous experience, a major (if not the major) expense is the wheelchair accessible driven vans for excursions, transfers, and tours.  I use a wheelchair, wife is AB.  Since most vans can handle two (or more) wheelchairs, it would be great to cut the cost in half and share with another couple.  We're flexible in our timing so I don't think posting on roll calls would be helpful.  I'm wondering if there is website or forum that's specific for finding people that are interested in sharing accessible transportation.  Ideally not just for cruises.

-- Bob

Do not know when you were last in Europe or attempted to find transportation, however there has been extensive improvements and availability to get around for those of us requiring mobile devices. If you are cruising, the cruise line does pretty good at having at least one accessible tour. There are still some ports that cruises may not be able to offer accessible transportation. Both my traveling companion and I required the use of mobility scooters and the occasional problem we ran into was “only space for one device”. However, most of the cities now offer public transportation, which we utilized. Most the cities offer excellent bus service, metro services or places like Copenhagen offer inner city train service.

I would suggest that you do research on the local public transportation and chances are that you will be able to see the entire city on your own. Just map out where you want to go and match it to the public transportation. Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam all have excellent bus service. Amsterdam also has street cars that are accessible.

As far as getting between countries or cities, we normally took the train. However, both of us had created a way to attach our luggage to our scooters, thus we did not physically have to tote it.

Do not be bashful about writing to the various places including he city offices. Over the years I wrote to many cities for info. Most are very willing to provide complete accurate information.

What specific places are you currently thinking about?

Have a lot of wonderful trips,

Betty