St John (Gibney Beach)

coton

I will be visiting St John in April and I was wondering if anyone has visited Gibney beach and what their opinions were.

I am trying to find a hidden gem on St John.....or should I just stick to the usual cinnamon or trunk bay options? (not that they are not nice)

Hello,

Gibney is a beautiful beach, off the beaten track like you said you are looking for. There aren't any amenities there like Cinnamon & Trunk Bay have but you can bring a picnic lunch with you and you would be all set. If you are renting a car there isn't much parking; its road side parking and there is room for 2-3 cars. If you are taking a taxi you might arrange a pick up or plan to try and flag one down roadside.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Thank you Islander for your response. I do have another question though, and its that we wont be renting a car and you mentioned something about the parking being very limited for Gibney Beach. We will be taking a taxi from Cruz Bay to Gibney Beach. I have checked out a few taxi rates websites and there is not mention of Gibney Beach being a destination. Would you know a rough estimate for 2 people traveling to Gibney Beach?

One more question. I have been reading that this beach is pretty sparsely populated with tourists. My question is it safe to be alone with my wife on gibney beach in st john after being dropped off by a taxi?

Thanks

coton... Gibney is beautiful! One of the least crowded beaches on the North Shore. Lots of shade, beautiful clear water, soft white sand. There is a community building there that is usually open that has bathrooms and showers. It looks like its probably intended for parties and things like that.I'm not sure if its actually supposed to be "open to the public" but we used it to get out of a rainstorm last time we were there. There is only room for a few cars to park, as others have stated. As for safety, we've never felt unsafe on any of St. John's beaches. They're all great! Go and have a great time!

Hello,

Gibney is just past Hawksnest. The Cruz Bay to Hawksnest taxi rate is $5 a person one way for 2+ people. So I suspect it would be around there, $5... maybe $6 a person. You shouldn't have a safety problem there but do use common sense and be aware of your surroundings just the same.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived