Is it weird that I don't want to sail from Miami??

SUSANITA

Personally i don't really like Miami's port. It feels like I am in a shipyard (which it is). It is a little to "industrial" for me. I really love the port in Tampa. It doesn't feel like a port. It seems a lot cleaner and I thought everything seemed so much smoother there. As for the city itself though Miami is tough to beat.

Sensation 12/16/2000(w.carib)

Victory Easter 2001 (w.carib)

Inspiration Jan 2003(w.carib)

Fascination 2/23/04 (w.carib)

Paradise 9/5/04 (panama canal) 9/5 Panama Adventure

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

As long as there are quality ships in Galveston,and the hope of a Voyager class here,I have no intentions of spending all the extra money to go to another port.I may change my tune after 10 Western Carribean trips,but I don't think so.With a young child,it is just much easier to hop on board here.

My Dad called tonight to tell me about a 'Great" deal he found for a weekend getaway at Chain of Lakes here in Texas. 3 meals,log cabin,private candlelit dinner in your river front cabin,horse carriage ride.fri&sat night...

$500.oo......I said Dad...thats 1 person for a week on the Elation!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cathy

NCL-Starward 1982

NCL-Seaward 1986

NCL-Norway 1992

Carnival-Celebration 1996

Carnival-Jubilee 2001

RCI-Rhapsody 1999

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

Grand Princess or Rhapsody ?

netdiver.gif

Gordon, I'm like Sue but after looking at your pics I'm ready for the Miami experience! It's gonna cost me my first-born to get there tho, oh well, too bad and he was such a nice kid, too icon_biggrin.gif Chud

P.S. nice homes on Star Island, huh?

1054.gifcountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;10;16;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800  UNTIL SISTERS BOOZE CROOZE

SPIRIT 10/04

Sue, we're over here in Buffalo and we were able to find flights on Delta for $99 r/t flying out of Syracuse to FLL. Buffalo was about $159 r/t at the time. That $60 x 4 = we fly out of Syracuse. icon_biggrin.gif Makes no sense to me for Syracuse to be cheaper, but what do I know? icon_biggrin.gif

Although tbh I think I probably could have gotten a flight from Buffalo to FLL the next week, but oh well. It's still a night I don't have to cook! LOL!

Namaste,

Heather

Sailing on the Triumph ~ 9/18/04 - Roll Call

pleasedontstealmethanks.gif

Staying at the InterContinental and hanging out at Bayside Marketplace makes Miami the coolest port we have been to yet!!! You can get a great deal on the InterContinental through priceline (and it is by far the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in thus far. . .) and Bayside is a just a hop and a skip away.

But, they don't do Hawaii from Miami. . . icon_wink.gif That has to be our next one right????

Nikki

(O.A.T.C. & Proud of it!)

<marquee direction=right width=45%>Mariner of the Seas 09-19-04!</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;9;17;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Miracle 02-13-05!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;2;11;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

royalsmallwide.gif

Triumph 09/08/01, Holiday 04/17/02, Inspiration 01/19/03, Triumph 05/10/03, Ecstacy 09/15/03, Conquest CONQUESTADORS!! 01/11/04

new_14.gif Check out my pictures!

http://community.webshots.com/user/nikkifer

quote:

Gordon, I'm like Sue but after looking at your pics I'm ready for the Miami experience! It's gonna cost me my first-born to get there tho, oh well, too bad and he was such a nice kid, too Chud

P.S. nice homes on Star Island, huh?

Chud, Miami is like one of the islands that you visit on the cruise. It has the latin feel and just gets you even more in the spirit of the cruise. Those homes on Star Island are something else. It is also a nice relaxing boat ride to see the sites of Miami. Like I said in my earlier post, Ft. Lauderdale comes in a close second if you stay around the port but it just isn't Miami.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

You might also want to check the fares to West Palm Beach. Its about an hour drive into Miami but sometimes the airfares are incredibly low, particularly in off-season.

As a native Miamian, I'm always amazed that cruisers travel from great distances around the country never to allot at least one day to visit Miami. Great restaurants, shopping, night life and the best beaches on the East coast. South Beach, Lincoln Road, Coconut Grove, Little Habana are unique and worthy of a few hours pre or post cruise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> i don't really like Miami's port. It feels like I am in a shipyard <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmm, that's excactly why I like it...

In fact one of my big problems with all the Modern Super Liners.....is that they don't feel 'Ship-like' enough for me anymore.

As for the port.....heck just think of all the services & equip they have to have there to take care of the ships. warehouses for food and supplies, Maintenance shops, Fuel Service, Water, Sanatation, equipment for loading ships,parking, etc.....it is industrail.

I didnt read all of the posts so someone might have said this already, but being from NY myself, yes airfare is more expensive to Miami, but, all of the cruise lines arrange transfers from Ft. Lauderdale too, so you can fly in there and it is much cheaper. Personally I know what you mean, the last cruise I took left out of Orlando, and I loved it, direct flight, no stops, cheaper airfare and great ports, but not too many ships do this, that is what makes you look at the ships leaving from miami, there are more choices.

Janet

Mariner of the Seas 3/04

Enchantment of the Seas 9/03

Explorer of the Seas 7/03

Carnival Triumph 2/03

Imagination 7/02

Jubilee 4/02

Sensation 2/98

Carnivale 10/91

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail again on the Mariner

By the way, I LOVE miami, I think it is definitely an underated place. My sister moved there years ago and then her and her husband bought a second home in the Keys, so I have got to experience both worlds, and think they are great, I have taken lots of friends there and they also love it.

Janet

Mariner of the Seas 3/04

Enchantment of the Seas 9/03

Explorer of the Seas 7/03

Carnival Triumph 2/03

Imagination 7/02

Jubilee 4/02

Sensation 2/98

Carnivale 10/91

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail again on the Mariner

I forget how lucky I am to live here in South Florida, and not have to worry about flying in anywhere.

I would definitely fly into FLL and rent a car to Miami. Take a drive down South Beach, see the signts, do Bayside...

NCL 1998

Disney Wonder 2000

Disney Magic 2001

Carnival Sensation 2002

Norweigan Sun 2003

Grand Princess 7/13/03

Carnival Victory 3/21/04

RCCL Voyager 11/13/04

Archived