Tulum or Coba Mayan Ruins?

snowbegone

I have only been to Tulum - I thought it was good - we had a wondeful guide who shared so much with us. Also the setting is so beautiful - right along the coast with the ocean as the back drop. I would recommend going there for sure.

I second Mared's suggestion. Tulum is the only Mayan Ruin anywhere that is not in-land (it's right on the shore -- nice beach to hang out at too) so you might want to check it out while you're in the area. We went while staying at a resort in Playa del Carmen. I don't know where you'll port at but if you want to save $$, you can just take the city bus from downtown PDC for around $5/person (nice, air conditioned coach buses -- very safe) and then just pay the minimal entrance fee at Tulum. The buses come by every hour for your return. We had a guide too that we paid a little extra for -- otherwise, you can tour around on your own. The extra tidbits and trivial information from the guide were well worth it though. HTH!

We were on the Star last month and did the Tulum tour. Because Cozumel is still tendering, the tender used for Tulum took us straight to Playa de Carmen where we boarded the bus to Tulum. Our guide was very well versed in Mayan culture and history and gave a talk during the ride which was very informative and interesting. We had a guided tour of Tulum and about 45 minutes to wander around by ourselves. We got back to Playa de Carmen and were dropped off in the shopping area and had about an hour to look around etc. It was a great day and I would recommend the ship's tour. Hope this helps.

Archived