What's your favourite things to do on a cruise?

firstimercruiser

Hi Yall,

seeing as though I haven't been on mine yet, I'd like to live vicariously through you guys for a while :D.

What are all your favourite things to do on a cruise? The sights you've seen, those special things you've experienced, people you've met, food you've eaten, etc :)

Trevor.

Where to start. I think the only bad thing that I can say about cruising, is that you eventually have to dissembark.

We have had nothing but great times on board and made lots of great new friends. One such couple we met on our march 04 cruise from Bris (we are from Canberra) since then we have gone to QLD and stayed with them,they have come down to stay with us, and we arranged the March 05 cruise together, and now the April 06 cruise. If possible we will go cruising together once a year and visit any other time we can.

As for the places you go. I think one of my favourite islands would be champagne bay. It is every bit a gorgeous as any photo you see of the place (I've tried to attach a photo showing what I mean). But if you've never to been to the islands, they are all interesting to see the different ways of life and their culture.

For you time on the ship, well it's non stop activities if you want, or just a simple day of lazying about on the deck, it's up to you. We usually sit at breakfast and go through the days activities deciding what we want to do, and then try and remember to get to the activities on time, scavenger hunts are always a lot of fun, trivia games, beer qoits ( a nice way to cool down on a hot day, if you win the beers that is) the list just goes on and on.

1640885704_champagnebay.jpg.db429f98b494fcc26464a766bae72083.jpg

Hi Yall,

seeing as though I haven't been on mine yet, I'd like to live vicariously through you guys for a while :D.

What are all your favourite things to do on a cruise? The sights you've seen, those special things you've experienced, people you've met, food you've eaten, etc :)

Trevor.

Best thing - Getting on

Worst thing - Getting off

In between, just about everything is wonderful. Wonderful food, friendly service, great accomodation, so much to do, so many wonderful places to visit.

Of the places I've been on the two cruises I've done, my favourite stop is Wala, my least favourite stop is Noumea.

Must do's on the ship - Ice Carving, Fruit carving, trivia quizzes, the nightly shows, the Island Party, the list just goes on.

One of my most vivid memory's is swimming at the beach at Wala with the ship off in the distance - absolute magic.... Another is standing on the rear of the ship at night watching the stars above and the wake of the ship trailing into the distance below.

Kym

Kym, you had an experience similar to mine. We were snorkelling with the kids at Wala ahving a wonderful time when i happened to look up and see the ship against a brillaint blue sky, it literally sent shivers down my spine, definately one of those moments that linger.

I cant think of any thing i dont like except as you say getting off and then seeing your cruise coutdown on here in a negative number!!!

I love the trivia challenges. Also don't miss any of the passenger involvement shows (note: remember these are parents discretion for a reason!) like Perfect Match & the Marriage Match. I too love the islands.

The entertainment is usually fantastic and well worth the watch. We do tend to use the first nights show to decide if we will attend the guest entertainers shows. Usually if we don't like what they do on the first night we really don't enjoy the show. Saying that however don't miss the "crew special" usually performed after the show on the final formal night. It will be highlighted in the daily newsletter and is well worth the watch even if you have seen it every cruise.

My other favourite thing has to be the interaction with the other passengers and crew. There is something about being locked on a ship in the middle of the ocean that causes people to interact more with each other than some people have done with neighbours they have had for years. It's great. I have said another time I like to look out for the "characters" and as I have admitted before we are probably seen as "characters" ourselves (especially Frog & Nan). Nan was nicknamed by a few people last cruise as Mrs Cruise as she was the most cruised passenger on board!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Yes I am the life of the part I am sure that is what Chaz meant.

What do I like most that is easy being me not what I am supossed to be.

Being able to let others make the programe and just letting them,I tell the people who say why cruising again "I can leave the professional me in the suitcase".

I love the shows,trivia,bingo,no washing upand no bed to make.

Of all the ports I love Vila,and my new second is Champagne Bay.

I like the walks on Pines.

What I do not like thats even easier taking the brain out of the case:( and back to the other Frog:eek:

Just kidding - But I do enjoy sampling all the tasty soups on the menu - and it is always such a tough decision to pick my main course! :)

I really enjoyed my one cruise where I met a bunch of folks from this site. I think we all just felt great to know people and see them around the cruise and feel like we were old pals :)

And of course all the destinations are always fabulous! I love to travel to new places!

i loved that feeling of dancing on the deck on the Pacific Sky and looking up at the stars and getting such a thrill of being on a ship in the middle of the ocean!! A great sensation!

Also I loved Champaigne Bay and Isle of Pines. One of my favourite things to do on board was sitting on the deck and relaxing!!!!:)

i loved that feeling of dancing on the deck on the Pacific Sky and looking up at the stars and getting such a thrill of being on a ship in the middle of the ocean!! A great sensation!

That was a great thing to do.. I think i missed that on the Sun. They have the island night up on lido deck midships and cause its all enclosed you kind of loose that open feeling.

On the sky it was so nice to be able to go out and dance on the deck at night any night...

Dan

lol, ur a smart a*** if the security guard didnt catch me the 1st night he never would.. he just decided 2 walk around checking id's.. never thought he would remember me:rolleyes: was wrong.. then they all knew me:eek: nice people though..

still dont understand y they had 2 pick on me lol.. maybe they had nothing else 2 do n they were bored?

lol.. yeah i was just being smart... sorry... just thought it was funny...

You should have kept low. It was funny cause the first night it was ok and then about the 3rd night i noticed signs up saying no under 18's after 10.30. They must have put those there for you.

Dan

im thinking of going on the 3 nighter in march.

Otherwise we are looking at the dec 27th on the Sun for 12 nights and im trying to convince him to do the 8th jan 10 nighter back to back...

he's not so keen on the back to back.

but if we can find a fourth for both cruise its only $2k for the 12 nighter and $1.5k for the 10 nighter...

Thats 22 nights for $3.5k = $160 a day!!

Plus it would be awesome to not have to get off when everyone else does that first time....

The only thing I'm worried about is the spending money... and the possible effect it may have on my liver after 22 nights of drinking...

Dan

hehe yeah if i had the $$$ i'd do that

going on the star next time.. 14 nights, 2 7 night cruises.. worst inside deck get it as cheap as possible lol cos dad wont pay 4 it

10 nights was way 2 short.. felt like it came too soon..

hey dan, how bout not drinking for maybe 2 nights? lol save u $200..

maybe the 22 nights is just wishful thinking?:rolleyes:

nah i could definately do it..

its my travelling companions that need convincing.

Im lucky what ever I make as a DJ I use as my "slush" fund. So that gets used for cruises, other holidays, miscelaneous adventures, surprises, treats and fun!

Then my other job supports my usual life...

22 nights would rock...

10 nights was too short. I dont care what cabin im in, heck id sleep in the elevator if it was cheaper!

not drinking for 2 nights... umm no...

and it would save a lot more then $200!!!!

I think my average budget was about $240 a day this time round.. not including gambling.. which was a seperate budget....

Dan

lol yeah, they should give cheaper rates if u wanna sleep on a deck chair hehe..

champ u must drink heaps, or eat heaps of meals in between meals.. i think i'd b worried bout ur liver too hehe..

hope u find people 2 go on it with you:)

u must make very decent $$$ being a dj..:p

yeah i drink heaps...

i get thirsty...

i think i spent $7 on pizza the first day for lunch and we missde lunch once and i bought a sausage roll... that was the only food i bought besides ice cream...

Yeah I worked last weekend and made $850 for Friday night and Saturday night.

Dan

Hi Dan

I bet you earned every penny too.

Entertaining is hard work, and when you work out the hours you put in setting up & preparing for a night you would find that you are actually only earning an average hourly rate, is that right.

But the lump sum still looks great when you look at it as your play time money.:D

Helen

umm its a good rate, now that i work for myself and dont pay agency fees or anything like that.

Most of my shifts are 5 hours, plus usually 40 mins set up plus 20 mins pack up. so i usually work 6-6.5 hours for $400 plus driving time. So its not to bad.

Although you get great nights where you make a lot more then that, plus itf fun (most of the time) and i enjoy doing it. I get to meet loads of people and I usually have a great time.

Then I get paid and its like wow i got paid to play some music, talk to great looking girls and have a good night!

It has its perks...

Dan

I have a question for you Dan. Whenever Zac was at the pool, did you or Brad have to supervise him? Is there a rule about kids under a certain age being supervised by a parent? My youngest will be 10 and they can all swim. If they were the only ones there I would most certainly supervise them but if there's plenty of people around I figure they'll be ok.

Karen

I have a question for you Dan. Whenever Zac was at the pool, did you or Brad have to supervise him? Is there a rule about kids under a certain age being supervised by a parent? My youngest will be 10 and they can all swim. If they were the only ones there I would most certainly supervise them but if there's plenty of people around I figure they'll be ok.

Karen

Hey Karen,

Umm there were always plenty of staff around, but there are signs saying that there is no lifeguard on duty.

Zac can swim and the pools arent that deep so he was fine, there was always stacks of kids by the pool anyway. When the waterslide is open there is a "lifeguard" at the top of the stairs controlling the lines making sure 200 people dont try to go down at once.

So in short, no we didnt supervise him, but he can swim and he is nearly 11. I dont think he would have been in by himself if was any younger though.

I surpose its individual and depends on how responsible the kid is and how well they can swim and if they are water safe.

Hey Helen,

Yeah i think i am going deaf already, ive kind of noticed it more the last year or so...

Hopefully I wont get to bad...

Dan

Also I loved Champaigne Bay and Isle of Pines. One of my favourite things to do on board was sitting on the deck and relaxing!!!!:)

Strawbs I second all the above. :D Dancing on the deck on the Sky is a wonderful feeling. ;) Music blearing, wind in your hair, the trail of the wash from behind the ship in the moonlight.....aaahhhh.:)

Kerri

Archived