Excursions in Hawaii

DGK

My Hubby and I are both turning 50 and are decent swimmers. We are booked on the Pride of America cruise in order to see the different Islands. We have never been to Hawaii or on a cruise. We would appreciate as much advice as possible on any of the excursions. Some that we might consider are the following. Our fitness level is fair : Volcanoes National Park,Captain Zodiak Snorkel (not sure if too adventurous), Body Glove snorkel & Dolphin, Haleakala Crater(daytime), Beach Day at Kaanapali, Pacific Paradise Luau, Wailua River & Fern Grotto, Pardise Gardens&Wailua River Cruise, Hollywood in Hawaii, Kauai Canopy Zipline (again too adventurous ?)Waimea Canyon to coast Bike Adventure. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We want to see as much as possible not sure if we will ever get back.

Thanks,DGK

Sounds like you have some great ideas! I'd just like to offer a few of my opinions.

If I'm correct, the Captain Zodiak tour is up the Napali Coast in Kauai. If you do it, carefully consider where you want to sit in the Zodiak. The front will get very bumpy, and the NaPali can get very rough. Because of the legnth of this tour, we booked a catamaran through www.holocharters.com and had a fantastic time.

For Kona, if you're wanting to see the best snorkeling, consider either the zodiak tour offered through the cruiseline, or a catamaran on your own that goes out to Kealakekua Bay. That place is hands down the best place I've evered snorkeled, and I've snorkeled a lot. Body Glove goes elsewhere and frequently receives average reviews at best. On our POAloha tour in 2004, we went the catamaran rout, and chose www.fair-wind.com. This was a fantastic tour, and the service on the boat was great. Very relaxing and a great time. On our 2005 POAmerica cruise we used the zodiak tour through NCLA. Convenient and fantastic. The operator took us not only snorkeling to Kealakekua Bay, but also out a ways right in the middle of a pod of pilot whales. We sat in the front of the zodiak, and while fun, I was a little worn out after the excursion (sit in the back if you want to relax).

A beach day at Kaanapali Beach is a great idea. If you do it, get a rental car and go on your own. The snorkeling off of Black Rock in front of the Sheraton Kaanapali is the best for that area, and the beach is gorgeous. There is also free public parking in the area and a public access walkway to the beach. Consider getting the "Revealed" guidebook series for the Big Island, Maui, Kaui and Oahu prior to your trip. They normally right on target.

Also, serch around on the Hawaii forum of these boards (under Ports of Call). A lot of local residents offer expert advise. They really are a great resource.

My Hubby and I are both turning 50 and are decent swimmers. We are booked on the Pride of America cruise in order to see the different Islands. We have never been to Hawaii or on a cruise. We would appreciate as much advice as possible on any of the excursions. Some that we might consider are the following. Our fitness level is fair : Volcanoes National Park,Captain Zodiak Snorkel (not sure if too adventurous), Body Glove snorkel & Dolphin, Haleakala Crater(daytime), Beach Day at Kaanapali, Pacific Paradise Luau, Wailua River & Fern Grotto, Pardise Gardens&Wailua River Cruise, Hollywood in Hawaii, Kauai Canopy Zipline (again too adventurous ?)Waimea Canyon to coast Bike Adventure. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We want to see as much as possible not sure if we will ever get back.

Thanks,DGK

Just got back two weeks ago....

I highly recommend the Captain Zodiac. As long as you are reasonbly comfortable in the water (can even be a beginner) and don't have significant back pain problems you should have a blast. I have minor back problems and was fine. This was our best excursion.

I would go on the VNP tour because it is so unique. We enjoyed this tour, but there is a fair amount of time on the tour bus. However our guide was great and we had plenty of stops. (We did VNP and Rainbow Falls.)

Haleakala Crater. This is also unique, and I would recommend seeing it. However, the bus ride is long and there are not a lot of stops. It's usually very windy and cool (cold) at the top. If you have little patience for long rides, this may not be the best option.

Luau. Do a luau while in hawaii. Looks like most people had a great time at the ship's luau. We did a luau on our own and enjoyed it. (Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt in Kaanapali) If you rent a car in Maui, you may enjoy going to the Old Lahaina Luau instead, but you will need reservations well (WELL!) in advance.

Zipline. Have heard several positive comments from people here and on the ship about this. However, if you have an issue with heights it may not be the best option. This from a couple we met where one had a blast but the other hated heights.

That's my 2 cents. I really can't address the rest of the excursions. Just if you are in reasonable health and you have a choice between a bus tour and a more active tour, the more active tour may be a good choice, especially versus a looong bus tour. Yes, do check the Hawaii port of call forum too!

Thank you and I now have a few more questions. The Zodiac is to Kealakekua Bay and never been in a Zodiac wondering about potential motion sickness which I am prone to. Body Glove Snorkel and Kamanu Catamaran go to Pawai Bay which are all through NCL. Is the Zodiac very rough and adventurous ?

Thank you and I now have a few more questions. The Zodiac is to Kealakekua Bay and never been in a Zodiac wondering about potential motion sickness which I am prone to. Body Glove Snorkel and Kamanu Catamaran go to Pawai Bay which are all through NCL. Is the Zodiac very rough and adventurous ?

Sorry, I was thinking of NaPali Explorer in Kauai. That's the company that uses zodiacs there.

The Zodiac to Kealakekua Bay was a great tour. It's very rough if you are up front, but not so much at all if you sit in the back. www.dolphinexcursions.com uses the same type of Zodiac for it's tours on Oahu, and I sat in the back on that one, and had a great ride (very fun! not very bumpy at all). My daughter sat mid-boat, and said she got a little queezy (I'm not prone to motion sickness). If you are prone to it, several operators in Hawaii recommended the bio-bands (I lost the link to a website that sells them, but if you do a search on this forum, you'll find a bunch of info on the topic of motion sickeness and solutions).

. . .

I would go on the VNP tour because it is so unique. We enjoyed this tour, but there is a fair amount of time on the tour bus. However our guide was great and we had plenty of stops. (We did VNP and Rainbow Falls.)

. . .

We did the NVP tour - IMO it was a bit hurried - just 20 minutes at each of three stops in the park. If I were to do anything "over" on our November POAm trip it would have been to rent a car in Hilo and do VNP on our own. Easy enough drive and then you can go at your own pace.

We did the Malakini and Turtle Arches snorkel on Maui - it was great. DD had never snorkeled before and the crew (from Pacific Whale Foundation) was terrific. At turtle arches I counted at least 18 sea turtles swimming around with us (they were HUGE!). We took a taxi to the Maui Ocean Center one day - it was great. On Kauai, we did the backroad adventures in the morning (got to go a couple of places that were on private roads) and a walk-in snorkel on our own (can't remember the beach, the guys from Kauai Backroads recommended it).

Onessa: I'm sorry to hear how rushed and superficial the VNP excursion was. It just confirms for me why we don't recommend it. Absolutely right--get a car and go where you want at your own pace. The driving is easy. I will send a wish to Madam Pele that you will be blessed with being able to go back and truly enjoy VNP.

It sounds like you all had a wonderful time. I'm so glad to hear it--it makes we want to go back right now.

Aloha.

beachchick

We did the NVP tour - IMO it was a bit hurried - just 20 minutes at each of three stops in the park. If I were to do anything "over" on our November POAm trip it would have been to rent a car in Hilo and do VNP on our own. Easy enough drive and then you can go at your own pace.

I guess this depends on both the tour and the person. We always felt that we had plenty of time at each stop. We never felt rushed, and we never felt like we would have spent any additional time at the stops if we'd actually had a car. (Not to say that we wouldn't have made a couple extra stops though.) But I do know that there are people who like to stop and take plenty of time to absorb the experience. Although if we do a trip like this again we are probably more likely to get a car just for the freedom and to be able to wander around as we please instead of being on a set schedule.

Does anyone know anything about the Kona Captain Zodiac tour?

We went on that excursion and loved it. Most comments I've seen have been positive. I did see one person who didn't care for it, but it seemed like they primarily wanted to spend more time snorkeling whereas we were on it as much for the ride and the coastline as anything else.

You ride on a Navy Seal type raft with large motors on the back. Shortly after we started we saw a mother whale and her calf playing in the water. Then we zipped along the coastline to the bay. We snorkeled for about an hour I think and had a snack there. There was a nice variety of sea life on the reef. Then on the way back we went in close to the coast and looked at lava tubes, sea caves, etc and raced a competitors raft for a little bit. We saw the mother and her calf again just before we got back. Each experience will differ depending on weather, crew, other passengers, etc.

The trip was suitable for children who are comfortable in the water and on boats as well as adults, but we had all adults.

The snorkeling was fine for beginners, although truly experienced snorklers may want to have more time in the water. And people who get to spend a fair amount of time on speedboats may not enjoy it as much either.

Did Capt. Zodiac in Oct and it was after many weeks of reluctance and anxiety. However, I sat in the back while my two pre-teens sat in front (they are adventuresome) and this excursion was by far my favorite. I have been to Hawaii five times and this was the most fun I have ever had!!! You will love it!

Archived