Why do so many people start formal night & other JEANS threads

b8tzm

Why do people continually post asking if jeans are okay in the dining room? Threads get started day after day, some even by people that have joined years ago?

Are they trying to rile people up or what?

Yep. :rolleyes: There seems to be more Jeans threads lately then smuggling booze threads.

Before anyone says "It's your vacation, wear what you want." Here is Carnival's rules on the dress code:

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Will they throw someone out because they don't follow the dress code? No, because the majority of people understand the definition and abide by it. Its pretty clear that those who do not want to dress up should use the Lido dining.

I have to say, all this "jeans in the dinning room" talk has really made me start to rethink my and my family's wardrobe.

We're planning to dress formally on Formal Nights.

We're planning to dress dressy-casual on Casual Nights.

We are not bringing the clothes that we'd wear hanging around the house.

We are not bringing the clothes we'd do yard work in.

We are not bringing anything that doesn't fit *our* image of "casual".

Are we going to be out of place?

Will my children, in their floor length dresses, fancy party dresses, sundresses and pretty outfits, be the dorks who let their mom dress them?

I can't even believe the "jeans" debate is the most frequently asked question!

I would never have considered even packing jeans! (and still won't)

It's totally a personal choice. I would never presume to tell someone else what to wear.

For example, I know *I* personally would feel ridiculous if I wore a formal gown to the movie theater in my city along side people wearing jeans and t-shirts. Furthermore, *I* would be insulted if I were the owner of a fine restaurant that has a reputation for elegance (linen table cloths, china, attentive service) to have customers show up in jeans, sneakers and wife-beaters.

But here's my question....

If I'm worried about feeling out of place for being too dressy, why then, aren't those jeans/shorts/over-alls wearing people worried about being under-dressed? Isn't that the reason for a dress code? So that no one feels out of place?

nu2me - You are a class act.:) You will not be over-dressed. MOST folks, like you and myself, do things in the correct manner, and follow guidelines. Hooray for us - and many more like us. We are the majority.

There are always the clods who do whatever they wish, and unfortunately that won't change.

I rarely even read the 'jeans' threads anymore. I got tired of being repetitive about how jeans just don't fit into the overall picture of a lovely tropical vacation. In fact, this will be my very last comment on any jeans issues. Beating a dead horse just doesn't make sense.

So - Enjoy your cruise, and don't be concerned. I have a feeling you and your family will be dressed ideally for a cruise.:)

I have packed jeans and even worn them. :eek: When we cruised Alaska jeans were good for port days because of the temps there. I think that 'the jeans question' is just a joke, something to talk about when we get bored with what is on the board. :rolleyes: Just JMO.

Luv's Crusin'

Yes, just like you are! Patting yourself on the back, now? I, for one, see right through your b8t. :rolleyes:

Why do people continually post asking if jeans are okay in the dining room? Threads get started day after day, some even by people that have joined years ago?Are they trying to rile people up or what?

I find there are some that are legitimately asking the question, just as if they planned or were invited to go any organized affair, land or sea.

The three questions usually are "what do I wear, what do I bring, and who can I bring."

The "who can I bring" is usually spelled right out, yet there are clods that ask if they can bring the kids or grandma, or worse yet, show up with them!

The "what can I bring" is basic ettiquette.

The "what do I wear" is always more pertinent to how well one knows those in their surroundings. There's nothing worse than that feeling that you're underdressed amongst those that are, and worse if you know them. Same for if you are overdressed, and find out the affair is really a pot luck pool type gathering.

And yes, there re those that don't care. But please don't get mad when we are staring at you.

And yes, then there are some that just want to stir the pot. And that's fine. If I read a board looking for answers, and someone posts the actual link to the lines request, that would be my answer every time. Everything else is merely opinions.

So, when someone asks, I will continue to post Carnival's link to their dress requirements.

I find there are some that are legitimately asking the question, just as if they planned or were invited to go any organized affair, land or sea.

The three questions usually are "what do I wear, what do I bring, and who can I bring."

The "who can I bring" is usually spelled right out, yet there are clods that ask if they can bring the kids or grandma, or worse yet, show up with them!

The "what can I bring" is basic ettiquette.

The "what do I wear" is always more pertinent to how well one knows those in their surroundings. There's nothing worse than that feeling that you're underdressed amongst those that are, and worse if you know them. Same for if you are overdressed, and find out the affair is really a pot luck pool type gathering.

And yes, there re those that don't care. But please don't get mad when we are staring at you.

And yes, then there are some that just want to stir the pot. And that's fine. If I read a board looking for answers, and someone posts the actual link to the lines request, that would be my answer every time. Everything else is merely opinions.

So, when someone asks, I will continue to post Carnival's link to their dress requirements.

I agree Mr. Pete. If someone reads the Carnival guidelines and still feels that jeans are appropriate for the dining room, there is no way anyone is going to convince them otherwise.

Diane

Of course, if the cruise I was on took me to Alaska or New England in the winter, I'd pack jeans.

I still wouldn't wear them in the dinning room! :D

When it's snowing here in Connecticut, I wear jeans and boots back and forth to the mall, the grocery store, etc. Daily.

When it's snowing here in Connecticut I wear a nice pair of wool trousers or dress pants to a restaurant for dinner.

Why wouldn't the same rules of etiquette apply on a cruise ship?

That still remains my question.:confused:

It's a mystery. I find it all pretty amusing, especially on the line specific boards, here on the fashion board we seem to be a lot more civil to one another.

But, I admit, I do read them from time to time, the answers never change, the arguments never change. Sometimes, the posters are the same ones, over and over again. The same thing can be said for threads regarding babies, children, teens, elderly people, smokers, drinkers etc.... If you spend much time on Cruise Critic, you will read it all.

I try to take a more accepting attitude, these ships are big and there is space for all of us. You will also find people are more willing to be bold in their statements and rudeness is pervasive while anonymous. While onboard a ship, I doubt you would have many people with the same attitude as here on these boards.

Our family is probably more like nu2me, we take pride in our appearance. It is a bit shocking when, like the last 2 times I have observed embarkation, to see people dressed down the way they do. I spend months planning our trips and although I don't stress over clothes, our best formal and casual clothes go into the suitcases. We're clean and pressed no matter where we go when we leave the house on a daily basis, we consider embarking on a cruise ship a notch up from everyday life.

In the dining rooms in the evening, the servers are dressed in uniforms and look very professional. The room is very formal and beautifully decorated. The least the passengers can do is to look presentable.

All that said, I really don't pay much attention, normally. Unless I see an outfit that is over the top or very unusual, I spend my time enjoying the company I'm with. We have been seated with people who were not dressed in clothing I'd have worn on a cruise, but they turned out to be wonderful fun, so I got over that real quick.

So, pick and choose what you're willing to read and don't take any of the comments personally, it's a message board.

It's a mystery. I find it all pretty amusing, especially on the line specific boards, here on the fashion board we seem to be a lot more civil to one another.

But, I admit, I do read them from time to time, the answers never change, the arguments never change. Sometimes, the posters are the same ones, over and over again. The same thing can be said for threads regarding babies, children, teens, elderly people, smokers, drinkers etc.... If you spend much time on Cruise Critic, you will read it all.

I try to take a more accepting attitude, these ships are big and there is space for all of us. You will also find people are more willing to be bold in their statements and rudeness is pervasive while anonymous. While onboard a ship, I doubt you would have many people with the same attitude as here on these boards.

Our family is probably more like nu2me, we take pride in our appearance. It is a bit shocking when, like the last 2 times I have observed embarkation, to see people dressed down the way they do. I spend months planning our trips and although I don't stress over clothes, our best formal and casual clothes go into the suitcases. We're clean and pressed no matter where we go when we leave the house on a daily basis, we consider embarking on a cruise ship a notch up from everyday life.

In the dining rooms in the evening, the servers are dressed in uniforms and look very professional. The room is very formal and beautifully decorated. The least the passengers can do is to look presentable.

All that said, I really don't pay much attention, normally. Unless I see an outfit that is over the top or very unusual, I spend my time enjoying the company I'm with. We have been seated with people who were not dressed in clothing I'd have worn on a cruise, but they turned out to be wonderful fun, so I got over that real quick.

So, pick and choose what you're willing to read and don't take any of the comments personally, it's a message board.

A classy post from a classy lady. Well said.

nutome, my mom grandma and I dressed up a little more for a casual nights. We figured since jeans, t-shirts and the like are what we normally wear at home, we didn't want to wear them on a tropical vacation. And we didn't look out of place even though our tablemates were dressed more casually than us because other people had the same idea as us and dressed up a little more than they had to also.

I don't act snobby at all, even if the person in front of me is wearing rags, I want to get to know the person, not the clothes. At least I try not to.

But, I will admit to being a buffet snob!

I meant it sarcastically...not that I AM a snob...but that's what those other people will say because I'm not wearing jeans. ;)

I rarely eat the buffet. I love the dining room too much. :D

Archived