Please share your Disney cruise secrets !!!

Ziggy7

I love the sausage trick for feeding the fish on CC!! Im not brave enough but my family would love doing this!! You really only need a black wrap nonwrinkle dress, one pr. of dress black pants, assorted tops , bathing suit, coverup and PJ's, I still always overpack!!! Don't forget the over the door shoe holder!! www. cruisecrates.com:)

If you do not mind sleeping apart ask the stateroom host to seperate the bed making it into 2 twin beds, it seems to give you more space in the cabin.

Book everything online and do your checkin online too. It saves a lot of time.

If you have a group going with you book a private shuttle to the ship it will be cheaper.

Book a Dsiney transfer back to the airport if your plane leaves later and you are flying on one of the major airlines. You can check your luggage at the pier.

The airport Hyatt has day rooms for about 89 dollars you can stay in if you have a later flight. You can also book a private shuttle from the airport to Downtown Disney to spend the time you would be waiting at the airport.:D

If you're looking for absolutely the EASIEST way of coming in a day ahead, then book the Hyatt at the Orlando airport with DCL transfers to the ship. The hotel in right in the airport and you can just get a porter to carry your luggage and stroll over to the Hyatt lobby, then put your luggage out the next morning with your DCL transfer tags and go to the lobby to meet the DCL folks to board the bus to the ship.

This may not be the least expensive but it is definitely the LEAST HASSLE of any place to stay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pirate night is great but very crowded, we were a large group last year and I took with us a 100 pack of Glow strips (you can make necklaces or braclets) we could always find our kids in the crowd and people were asking where they could buy them. And don't forget deck 7 private verada chairs and quiet. :D

You aren't limited to t-shirts or pillow cases - we took a plain white child's apron and three different color sharpies - black, blue, and red. What came back was really wonderful. Centered at the eop of the apron was the

Disney Cruise Line logo in blue and red - a really nice touch! My daughter hasn't worn it - we think we should frame it and display it. It really is a very special souvenir for my daughter!

Almost six weeks, anybody try those sausage links at Castaway Cay yet?:D

We are next week's May 27 Cruise that stops twice at castaway....Going to try your suggestion with my Grandsons....I'm sure they will think it's AWESOME Papa!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My secret is, if your dining room service is below par, as mine was for a family of five, and you feel the full tip is not deserved, tip the last morning, you get the same waitors you've had all cruise. Our sevice wasn't even deserving of the $ I gave them, bringing 2 apps. at the same time, missed drinks, rude. Yes I did mention it to the head waitor. He was just as useless. So the next morning my food was literaly dropped infront of me. So tip the last morning. Don't anyone flame me because I'm a chef and always over tip.

Have room service deliver a hot pot of coffee at night and it stays hot in the carafe 'till morning... viola... hot coffee while sitting on the verandah in your jammies.

Send your clothes for pressing the first night on the ship. It's relatively inexpensive and well worth the line for the iron and the TIME!!

Over the door shoe holders (clear plastic kind) to hold shampoos, conditioner, etc... to keep the counter in the bathroom clear of clutter.

Even though it's NOT on the room service menu, they will deliver the Mickey Ice Cream Bars! Yummy!!

If you have thickish hair... bring your own hair dryer as the one's in the staterooms are not that "high powered".

Bring Frebreeze and Downey's Wrinkle Releaser!

If I think of more, I'll post again! :)

Absolutely the coffee delivered at bedtime works! It is so nice to wake up, roll out of bed and it is right there! Yes, you can have it delivered in the am but I Hate having to comb my hair and brush my teeth before answering the door for room service. The coffee stayed plenty hot enough for me!

Also agree with the clear over the door holder, we took so much junk....sunscreen, aloe, different levels of sunscreen, insect spray, meds, make up etc. it was so nice not having to rumage around looking for "where did I put such and such"

also, don't forget room freshner for the potty area

And sending out to be pressed the first night, the cost I think was 3$ if I remember right...we sent out 2 dress pants 2dress shirts and 2 dresses. worth every penny! Came back next day!

We leave for our 4th disney cruise in 1 week! can't wait to try the sausages at CC. I used granola at cozumel, but didn't get out of the water, it was a wild experience, let me tell ya! especially when some of the granola got inside my swimsuit!

Hubby and I are on the Magic in Oct can adults do the pillow cases or T shirts? I would love to get one for me! I a big disney kid!

Lexi

I'm sure they would do it for anyone :) Atleast trying it cant hurt :)

Great tips everyone!!! More !!! More!!!!! :)

• 1 month later...
My secret is, if your dining room service is below par, as mine was for a family of five, and you feel the full tip is not deserved, tip the last morning, you get the same waitors you've had all cruise. Our sevice wasn't even deserving of the $ I gave them, bringing 2 apps. at the same time, missed drinks, rude. Yes I did mention it to the head waitor. He was just as useless. So the next morning my food was literaly dropped infront of me. So tip the last morning. Don't anyone flame me because I'm a chef and always over tip.

I haven't sailed on Disney (considering the Med cruise or a transatlantic cruise in 2007) but don't you always tip on the last day? Or does Disney charge a per diem automatically to your bill like a number of the cruise lines are doing?

If you want to save a few bucks and do not mind ironing your own clothes..iron all of your stuff at once on the first day. If you have a late dinner seating this works the best. Ironing between 5-6:00 no one is there and you are set for the week. Never attempt ironing on a formal night...yikes!. I appreciate the laundry on the Disney ships, even if there are only 4. We sailed Royal Caribbean and they do not give you a choice, they have no laundry rooms or irons.

Order room service and bring it with you on your excursion/day at the beach. Probably need a cooler though. Save some money on food.

Welcome aboard buffet. The buffet is the same on deck 9 and deck 3 (Parrot Cay). Unless you get to the buffet early, like noon, it is much easier to navigate Parrot Cay dining room. Easier to find a table and a waiter will bring you drinks so you do not have to balance a tray and the drinks. There is a lot more space at Parrot Cay.

If you are an early riser and the weather is nice get to Top Siders/Beach Blanket buffet on deck 9 early and grab a seat outside overlooking Castaway Cay. Very relaxing

Do not book Palos brunch and dinner on the same day....you will regret it!

Enjoy!!!

I haven't sailed on Disney (considering the Med cruise or a transatlantic cruise in 2007) but don't you always tip on the last day? Or does Disney charge a per diem automatically to your bill like a number of the cruise lines are doing?

It is customary to tip on the last night. You can put it on your shipboard account, and they will give you a "ticket" that you can give to your waiter, etc.

The original poster was suggesting that if the service is poor and you decide to tip less than the recommended amount, that you wait until breakfast prior to disembarkation to tip. On DCL, you have two options for breakfast - you can either go to the buffet line on top or you can go to the dining room at your designated time, where you will be served by your regular waiter team.

I would not endorse the recommendation to withhold tips until the last morning. If, however, the service is good, then I think it would be a great idea to tip the last night and then present an extra gift (e.g., prepaid phone card, etc) as an extra thank you when saying good bye that last morning.

Lots of folks notice that service that last morning can be a little brisk; that frequently has more to do with the morning rush than any discontentment with the tip - paticularly for the early seating.

• 1 year later...

I am not a chef, but when we were on the Magic and had bad service the first night we complained and the service the rest of the cruise was exceptional.

If the waitstaff had not improved their tip would have suffered. :) I don't see anything wrong with not leaving the full amount if the problems had not been fixed.....tip for service rendered...

Does Disney allow you to bring food on shore Royal Caribbean didnt let us when we took it last March. We had our sandwhichs all ready in Mazatlan and they made an announcment no food ashore.

It is my understanding that you can not take food off in any ports even back in PC. There are large fines if caught.

It is my understanding that you can not take food off in any ports even back in PC. There are large fines if caught.

The US Department of Agriculture won't let you bring open food or plants ashore in the US for agriculture safety reasons. I can guess that it would be the same for many other countries.

Your cruise is not over till you step off the ship. On your final morning, why rush to get off? Don't eat in the dining room - have someone go to the buffet, load up a tray, and have a nice enjoyable breakfast in your cabin or on your balcony. You're free to leave when you're ready or they start coming around to boot you off.

Unlike other cruiselines, DCL does have the best process - no color codes, no lines, go when you're ready!

Howard

• 2 weeks later...
Tip for Castaway Cayers: If your into messing with fish while you are snorkeling- Bring a couple of ziplock backs with you and when you go to breakfast scoop up a pile of link sausages, bag em and when you get to Castaway Cay, stuff the baggies in you bathing suit and snorkel out towards the submarine wreck.

Release a couple of pieces of sausage as you swim back towards the beach and stop at one of those sand piles where you can stand in about waist deep water get a few sausage out and get ready to be engulfed.

A school of resident yellowtail snappers will surround you begging for sausage they dont have much for teeth so you can feed them by hand and they wont really bite you. The yellowtails are from 6 inches long up to about 4 pounds they are really aggresive but harmless and they are gorgeous. You will never forget the experience. Be a little careful of other fish gray or mangrove snappers they have teeth and may bite you accidently in the frenzy....and believe me there will be a frenzy(Dont skimp with the sausages bring at least a couple of dozen. Have tried other stuff but they like sausages the most.

Have a blast!!!:D

my BH and I experience snorklers, we tried this one. the fish yellow tails are more than agressive. 1 mistook my fingers as one. Yellow tails do have teeth! If you try this throw them fast and away from people.:eek:

The ship is a banner for our group cruise :) If you join our cruise, then you get the ship :)

You can buy laundry markers at Walmart, K-Mart, , some drug stores have them but most big department stores have them :)

Are laundry markers the ones that are permanent and won't come out in the wash? Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question!

AND ALSO IMPORTANT: For those of you who have never been to the Atlantis.... It is an extremely large property and considered pricey by some. $12 cheeseburgers with no fries. So be prepared if you're on a budget.

Look for the Family Deal offered at some of the Atlantis food huts: 4 burgers, fries, and drinks for $25. They were great burgers too!

Archived