First Time Snorkelers....

firstcruiserDB

But, we'd love to try it!

Which tour company would be the best, and most patient, for someone who has never even had a snorkel mask on??? Also, one of us has a bad back. Can you describe how difficult it is to get in and out of the boat?

Thanks so much for any and all advice.:)

If I were to "begin again" with snorkeling, I would practice at home before we left for our trip. Borrow or rent some snorkel gear and try it out in a pool where you can really focus on getting the mask adjusted correctly and relaxing until you get the hang of it. Maybe you have a friend who could show you how to do it. Some people take right to it, but others get kind of claustrophobic and I think trying it for the first time in deep water with time pressures is not a recipe for success. If you can practice at home, when you go on the excursion you will be able to enjoy the setting and ocean life rather than fretting over gear adjustments etc.

Try a shore snorkel first. You can do that at Grand Cayman's "Eden Rock". There is a dive shop which rents equipment and storage lockers only a few hundred yards from the tender docks. Actually, there are at least two. I used the second. There is a deck with a rinse tank for gear and a ladder entry. It's easy to find. Follow the shore road to the right (facing shore), you'll see their red/white dive sign which is visible from the cruise ships.

There are a number of other snorkel sites in Grand Cayman, but Eden's Rock is the nearest and there is abundant coral and marine life.

If you are sailing with NCL or Princess, you can rent snorkel gear on board the ship and practice in the pool. Princess offers a poolside snorkel class on day one. NCL used to, and probably still does.

Otherwise, be sure to practice at home with a mask and snorkel. Snorkeling is easy to learn, but there are some techniques you definitely need to know.

Some snorkel guides are patient with novices, but many recommend their boat trips only for "advanced" guests. I would not recommend a boat snorkel for first timers, especially someone with a "bad" back.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

It would be a good thing to get some snorkel gear and practice before you go to GC. I just saw snorkel packages at Costco. The ship's pool would be a place you can practice if you cannot do it anywhere at home. Anyone can snorkel at the sandbar - it is usually only chest high. You won't have to worry there. At the other stops you can always just float around if you cannot get the hang of snorkeling, but I bet you will be fine after the sandbar.

I was so stressed before our first snorkeling excursion. I could not walk around the house with the mask on w/o freaking out! Once I got in the water, I knew how much I wanted to do it, and talked myself into being okay. It worked! There is nothing more exhilerating that looking down on all of those beautiful sea creatures! It took me 5 cruises before I could dive down to get a closer look at things, but I finally did it! Floating on the top and looking down is quite satisfying, though.

I do not think that the ladders on the back of the boats will be a problem for the person with the bad back. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with them, anyway.

We booked our excursion through Captain Bryan's Buccaneer and had a fabulous time. You can see the ladder and some of the fabulous rays here is a link to our pictures from that day: http://community.webshots.com/album/530801710NJTzFf

Have a great excursion!

I am not a strong swimmer and was nervous when I went snorkeling the first time in Key Largo. To start, when you put the mask on, you have to take a breath through your nose to create the suction of the mask on your face. Well I took much too strong of a breath and my nose started to bleed! Nevertheless, I was determined to do it. Many other people who had never snorkeled before just went right into the water and had lots of problems, and were back on the boat the rest of the time. BUT, I had my DH who knew that I needed to go slowly and was very patient with me. :) He had me sit on the steps of the boat (most people we already off by then) about waist high in the water and slowly put my face in the water. I got the hang of breathing in and out of the tube. Then I went lower holding on to the side of the ladder, (still not readly to let go!) and continued to practice. My big fear was that I would choke if water got into the tube. Then holding onto DH's arm with a death grip we snorkeled side by side. Once I realized that my body rolled with the waves - they weren't all that big any way - and that a wave would not come over the tube, and I would not choke and drown, I began to ease up on my grip to my DH's relief. Then I began to feel more confident and just held hands with DH as we snorkeled, as soon enough I was on my own.:cool: It was heaven, I was hooked, LOVE snorkeling. I felt very sorry for the people on the boat who did not have anyone to really show them how to do it and how to overcome their intial fear. Once back on the boat when done, I became extremely nauseated. I now take ginger pills even before snorkeling or going on a boat and it does help me.

Bottom line is to be patient with yourself!:)

Archived