Dolphin Discovery & Chankanaab

christi29

I am going on a cruise with Royal Caribbean and would like to also take the $145 Dolphin Excursion. I didn't realize that might be damaged. I am going in May. I was just wondering if anyone can fill me in on what they found out about this. Also what is Chankanaab? Can you swim with Dolphins here too?

christi29, I have been reading that Chaankanaab will not be doing the dolphin swim until maybe June. Dolphin Discovery has another location near Cozumel on the mainland, south of Playa Del Carmen, called Puerto Aventuras.If you go to www.dolphindiscovery.com you can see more about it. You just have to take the ferry over from cozumel,and taxi to the park.I know Princess is now offering this excursion,as they have canceled the Chaankanaab as one on their website. Look at the excursions offered by Royal Caribbean, as they may add this.Either way,it is doable, look at the website for more info, hope this helps:) Jaxson

It just so happens I inquired last night. :D Here's the reply I received:

Thanks for finding us on the web and for your inquiry!!

Chankanaab Park is scheduled to reopen by March 1st, 2006 and they will be even better than before with many new attractions - stay tuned to our website for the latest developments!!

I would be sure to check with dolphin discovery (on-line) to see if they will have their adventure open in Chankanaab in May. The park may be open, but not the DD program. We were on the Conquest in December and had booked the DD program at Chankanaab before Wilma destroyed it. So we transferred our reservations to Puerta Aventuras. It is a beautiful place, but we didn't get to see much of it. We spent most of our time in transit - tender to Coz, ferry to mainland, taxi to PA, then the program, and hurry back to the taxi, ferry and tender. I wouldn't do it again. We didn't have time in PA or Cozumel to do much of anything. We wanted to see the manatees - didn't have time. If you can't prebook the dolphin program at Chankanaab for May, book it with your cruise line to go to PA. They will tender you to the mainland and transport you to PA. It won't save you any money and will actually take more time to pre-book the excursion with DD and then have to pay extra for the transportation. Hope this answers your question - if you have any questions about DD at PA, let me know. We did have a great time while we there, by the way!

Sherryl

Archived