Delayed 4/3 Miracle Review

mrkrpan

I met LFritts in the ladies room before getting on the ship and was waiting for her before doing my review, but have not heard from her and wanted to post one, so here goes - LFritts - email me!!

This was our 2nd cruise - First was on Disney - there were three of us, me, DH and DS (7). We booked a 4B Guarantee.

We arrived at the port very early and drove around for a while - Jax beach is just beautiful.

We were allowed into the parking lot at 10am and waited in a line before we could go to the terminal. We were allowed to the terminal at 10:20am and dropped off our bags - found out we were in cabin 4131 - a 5A - obstructed view. Very excited about this - DH was clueless as to what this meant. (He slept almost the whole Disney Cruise, as we had a very nice dark interior cabin).

We dropped the car in the parking lot and were in the terminal, all checked in, waiting to get on the ship before 11am. No problems with anything and EVERYONE we met was so friendly and in that "we're on vacation" spirit! We were in the 1st or 2nd group to get on the ship and were up having lunch before noon! It was amazing how easy everything was! We even snuck to our room and dumped our carry on bags.

Room/cabin steward - Jaime - was very wonderful - quiet but attentive. We always had ice and plenty of everything we needed. The room had TONS of closet and drawer space and we severely overpacked. The bathroom had great goodies as far as toiletries and plenty of towels. We had two pool towels originally, and on the 2nd day, we had 3. All kept clean daily too...Robe was great too. Took the over the door shoe holder - never even needed it. I did take a cardboard envelope for the Capers - and have a whole set - unfolded - I scrapbook so this was very important to me.

Food: The food was great! I did not have a bad meal or snack the entire week. We had plenty to choose from up on the Lido deck and the dining room was great. We were originally confirmed as early seating, but when we checked in, we were late seating. We had late seating the first night and then they switched us for the rest of the cruise, back to early seating. Our wait staff - Rodolfo and Jo - were incredible - loved our son - we were at a table for three - made little oragami animals, and were very accommodating. At dinner, our son never even asked for a kids menu and enjoy having us describe the menu choices to him - he had fish quite a bit. I ate beef at almost every meal and it was always perfectly done. The best dessert on the ship, and frankly, that I've ever had, was the bitter & blanc pudding. I even asked the Maitre De for the recipe, which he did give me on the last night - so excited until I looked and realized it was for 700 servings! We were hysterical. I explained that as soon as I got 699 friends together, I'd be preparing it! I need to find somewhere, someway to get it scaled down. It was very yummy!

The ship was beautiful and did not think it was too loud - it's very 'Las Vegas' and we happen to like that.

Shows: We loved the juggler - he was so funny, but the comedian was not funny at all, and we got up and left - just our personal taste. The Ticket to Ride was great - and our son loved sitting on the lower level so we could all get drinks - he had tons of Shirley Temples -

We played Bingo one time - not very exciting

We played in a Black Jack tournament one day and that was fun - good practice for someone who does not normally play...

I did the Galley Tour and it was great - lots of very interesting statistics before the tour - like on our cruise, they went through xx hamburgers, etc.

I did the afternoon Tea (earlier posting) - it was divine!! Highly recommend this.

We used the gym a few times - worked out with DH - which is a treat that we seldom get to do at home - kind of weird to be on the cardio machines and moving (on sea day) and had to hold on just beacuse my eyes were messing with me.

The ship is very smooth - I had the patch, which I wore, and on the 3rd day, when it was time to change, I just removed it - didn't need it at all -

We went to the Art Auction - which was great - had to hold DH back - wanted to buy many items - and the free champagne was great -

Camp Carnival - I had mixed feelings about this - I only had Disney to compare to, but overall, the program is good - there were areas I felt could be improved, but nothing worth mentioning here - as I've seen so many great reviews. My son is at a tough age - almost 8, and some things were 'young' to him, but he had a blast. We took walkie talkies, but didn't really need them. I expected the room to be larger, but it was still fine.

Ports of Call:

We did not do any excursions, but did wander around right at the ports (except Freeport) on our own.

Cozumel - we shopped here while our DS was at Camp Carnival. Later on, after dinner, we went back into town to take our son - so he could say he was actually in Mexico. We listened to local music and had a great time! It's just that whole "relaxed" feeling.

Costa Maya - we shopped here again and just looked around - all three of us - it was quite rough in the water - windy - and we were glad we had not chosen to go snorkeling here - although many people had a great time.

Freeport - we took a cab to the International Market - which truthfully was a little shady feeling - not big fans of the Bahamas - we did get a good deal on a watch, so that was a good outcome - but so many times I was approached for braids in my hair - and I have not very long hair and was wearing a baseball cap!

Disembarking - very easy - we put our bags out the night before - and in the morning we went up to the Lido deck to eat and wait. We were off the ship, in our car, headed home by 10:30am. Piece of cake!

Years ago - about 14 - I did a Princess Cruise without DH - it was more "grown up". And two years ago we did a Disney Cruise - 3 day. I have heard so many things about Carnival and have to say that we loved our whole vacation.

We loved the ship, the staff, and the family memories we created. We laughed so much together.

I've already been scouting for another cruise - as DH says he all for one next year - and truth be told, I'm looking at Carnival, although I would like to try another line, but we just loved Carnival.

Thanks to everyone on the boards for your insight and help - little tips really made the trip sweeter.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Robin icon_biggrin.gif

mrkrpan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;3;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until we sail on the Carnival Miracle

Carnival Miracle, April 2004

Disney Wonder, March 2002

Grand Princess, December 1991

• 1 year later...

Hi Robin: Husband and I will be in Cabin 4131 on the Miracle on September 18, 2005. Could you please give me a better description of the room, in particular, how much of the view is obstructed by the lifeboats? I'm very curious.

Archived