Bonine

Havgun Wiltravel

Have had a bout of some sort of Vertigo for the last couple of days...my doctor have me Bonine for it.

I hope I don't need it during our cruise - 'cause it knocked me flat on my rear end!

Gun

If you are referring to the Bonine (meclazine) sea sick med - and it made you so ill, it would seem that you truly need to consult your doctor again.

I used Bonine on my last cruise, and it really made me drowsy. I was trying it instead of dramamine, which had knocked me flat on the cruise before that one ... but the Bonine wasn't much better. I think some of us just react to it that way.

Personally I would not take it again ... I basically missed the first 24 hours of my cruise, because I was half asleep. I think if I run into rough seas I will try ginger capsules or a wristband next time.

Last year I took Bonine with me on my cruise and never had to use it. However, I did have need for it a couple of days after I returned home. The vertigo started up and I felt like I was still moving all the time. It made me slightly drowsy, not too bad though.

If you do need it on board, try to take it at bedtime. Bring other remedies as well that you can take immediately when the symptoms start.

Havgun, please please please go see a different doctor. I have suffered with vertigo off and on for almost seven years. Vertigo is not something to take lightly, as it indicates a disturbance in your inner ear, or less likely, your middle ear. Did the doctor test you for horizontal nystagmus (erratic sideways eye movement)? How about sinus issues? I ask this because Bonine is essentially an antihistimine, and will do nothing to address the root of your vertigo. You are getting ready to sail soon, and should have some answers before you set sail on a ship that will make your symptoms worse. Please have someone look into it further.

Don't end up being taken out of your house in an ambulance like I was. :o Get some answers now, before it becomes a nasty issue for you.

Also just a note: I've been on Scopalomine patches, Meclizine, Antivert, and Valium, and none of them except the Valium had the effect of making me extremely sleepy. Thankfully I only had to take the valium for a few days until the worst of the first big episode was past. ;) Whatever it does, it sure helped stop the room from spinning around me.

I have vertigo and I am on Meclizine and yes it does make me groggy. If you type Meclizine into your search engine it will come up and tell you about it and one of the symptoms is it makes you drowsy.

Unfortunately I am having another bout with my vertigo now and I sail on Saturday, Whoopie. NOT!

When we were on our cruise 1/14/2006, the first day had rough seas. I had my sea bands on and took bonine in the evening. I felt that if it caused any drowsiness, let it be at night, not during the day.

As far as vertigo goes, I also recommend seeing a doctor for this, perhaps another medicine would be more appropriate if he/she knows about your side effects.

I also can't take Bonine. Even though most people say it doesn't make them sleepy, it makes me very sleepy. It also gives me some of the worst headaches I have ever had. Funny enough, I have had better luck with Dramamine - that also makes me sleepy but I am not incapacitated for an entire day after. I try to stick with the ginger and sea bands.

I had absolutely no problem with Bonine, and I am usually drug sensitive.

I took at night during our cruise - slept like a log - and woke up with absolutely no symptoms.

I still believe that Gun should visit his doctor again - does not sound as though the med reaction is the norm.

Pepper is right - vertigo is nothing to mess around with.

Apparently many folks are made sleepy with the various motion sickness medications. It would be best to do a "trial run" a few days before sailing, so that you have an opportunity to try a different option if you are adversely affected. ;) I still wholeheartedly recommend consulting with a physician, or at the very least a pharmacist (not a pharmacy clerk!) for suggestions and recommendations regarding the various options. A person who's devoted their entire life to knowing and understanding the various chemical components of a drug are the best source of truthful information. ;) JMHO

Apparently many folks are made sleepy with the various motion sickness medications. It would be best to do a "trial run" a few days before sailing, so that you have an opportunity to try a different option if you are adversely affected. ;) I still wholeheartedly recommend consulting with a physician, or at the very least a pharmacist (not a pharmacy clerk!) for suggestions and recommendations regarding the various options. A person who's devoted their entire life to knowing and understanding the various chemical components of a drug are the best source of truthful information. ;) JMHO

I couldn't agree more. If you haven't taken the motion sickness medication before, try it a few days before sailing. Just because it works well for one person doesn't necessarily mean it will work well for you. Also, it is a great idea to consult a pharmacist for options.

Well, I was a bit slow getting out of the sack this morning. The effects of the Bonine are about gone...as is my dizziness (fingers crossed here.) I will go see the doc for a prescription change, I think.

I want to be in tip-top shape for our cruise out of Charleston on the 25th!!

:D :D :o :D :eek:

Archived