Just back from MERCURY 1/13/06 sailing

scott in maine

Scott & Nancy,

Thanks for the added port info. I'll look into all your PV suggestions. Since 2 of you mentioned getting a good view of the rock formations from the ship or tender, we won't bother booking a tour to see them. It's much better to see them for free. :D

cechase,

Which Acapulco City & Cliff Divers tour did you take? We're considering the 9:45am tour. How does the timing work? Do they plan for everyone to have lunch at the restaurant, where you watch the cliff divers from? Just wondering what to expect. :) I'll check out the Ixtapa Resort tour.

kpalmer,

Actually, we do have an AFT cabin. We booked an FO for the added space. We had a CC cabin on Century, & it seemed very small compared to our Infinity cabin. We've been in AFT cabins on Infinity & Century. I'm hoping the vibration on Mercury won't be worse than those. I don't sleep late anyway, & enjoy seeing the ship pull into port. My DH could sleep through anything, so it doesn't bother him. I agree that the pools & hot tubs close too early. We don't use them in the evening, but I think they should be open for those who want to.

Hello,

When the Mercury visits Mazatlan you should see the Cathedral and then walk a short two blocks or so and see the Benito Juarez market. This is the main market in Mazatlan and it is very interesting because it has not changed very much in many years. In Acapulco you should see the fort which is across from the cruise terminal. There are several very interesting exhibits and make sure you go on the roof for some spectacular views of Acapulco and Acapulco Bay.

Have a great cruise,

Fred

Back to the ship. Let me squelch once and for all the dismal reports from some here on CC about the condition of Mercury. It is simply not accurate to report that this ship is becoming shabby or worn around the edges. That's hogwash! This ship is still beautiful and very comfortable. That said, I can report that, yes, if one looks especially hard, one can find some couches in the Navigator Club with slightly soiled corners and the tables in that same lounge have some unsightly glue stuff underneath the glass tops, etc. But, you know what -- who cares? The negatives in the public areas are so miniscule as to not be worth mentioning, nevermind focusing on. So, forget I mentioned them! I assure you that this ship is in 98% great condition and the public areas are especially well cared for.

I do, however, need to report that the staterooms are somewhat overdue for some renovation work. Most importantly, the soft goods (bedspreads, carpets, pillows, drapes) are at the end of their life cycle. Frankly, they should've been replaced a few months back. They are now entering the range of unacceptable. The bedspreads are just worn out and not especially clean these days. We were disappointed with this one component of the ship and are aware that other lines like Holland America are making great strides in room renovations with fabulous bedding and down duvets, etc. Celebrity is way WAY behind the eight ball with these initiatives and seriously needs to give some attention to these rooms prior to dry dock. And, as has been reported here time and again, our bathroom sink was also deeply stained and the basin cracked in several places. It was still very clean and safe, just very unpleasant to look at every day. I am sure these will all go in the drydocking, as well.

That's about it for the negatives.

It also seemed that the tendering procedures on this sailing were very efficient and not nearly as frustrating as past experiences. Not sure why, but it was a nice surprise.

I could go on, but I'll stop here and simply assure any future travellers on Mercury that you'll be most pleased with your experience. Again, disregard other reviews that make you think you're checking into a Comfort Inn for the week. Simply untrue. Yes, the rooms really do need a sprucing up. Shame on X for letting them get to this worn state, but they are still comfortable and get the job done. The rest of the ship honestly gleams and the contagious happy attitudes of the staff really go a long way towards making one's experience on this ship (or any other) delightful.

quote]

WOW, based on the above statements about the rooms, I would say a stay at the "Comfort Inn" would be about three steps up from the rooms on the "Mercury". Damn, I sorry to hear this, as we are set to sail on her on Feb. 24th. I will be mad as hell if my room looks like what you described above. I may have made a mistake in picking her, that being the " Mercury" for my 25th wed. annv. I'm even sadder to see that they have let the suite's get this bad, as this is the type of room I have booked, and I mean a higher $$$ end one too. Oh well, I guess I'll try to take the trip with an open mind. But, if things are not up to what is the

" Celebrity Suite" standard and my own, I'm not one to just grin & bare it.

Thanks for your candid review. Yet I don't know how you can say in one part that she is 98% OK, yet the staterooms & few public area look like they do. When I cruise, the room is a very big deal to me.

Thanks again,

Mark

We just returned from 21 days on the Mercury. We sailed the 1/13th cruise with Scott from Maine (by the way we had such a great time with he and Jim hope to meet up again sometime in the future) then stayed on board for the next 11 days departing on 1/23rd. SO I feel I can address a couple areas. We did not feel bored at all on the trip. We ate foods we loved the first time again, saw shows we really liked a second time. I will have to admit that the linens and upholstery could use a touch up, but those problems were overshadowed by the great staff and crew of the Mercury. We asked for the egg crate mattress for our bed which our steward applied for us which did make the bed much more comfortable. We have sailed on several different cruise lines and felt this was the most efficient, friendly staff we have ever come across. We would not have any hesitancy booking another sailing on her tomorrow if we could find the right itinerary and pricing. In an ideal world we could have superb accomodations and staff, but if I can't have both, I'd opt for the crew excellence.

As far as tours Tammy. We did the ship excursion to the Cliff Divers. We went at night and thought it was great. We were taken by bus to the Mirador Hotel and La Perla restuarant where we were entertained by Mariachi Band and givin 2 national drinks before and while we were watching the divers. The night tour takes you to the 8:30 dive, they have 7:30, 8:30, 9:30 and 10:30. The 10:30 show is by torches but that is too late to go since you would miss the 11 pm departure. Only option from ship is the 8:30 time. Have to be back to the sailaway party onboard by 10:45. After the show they took us to a silver store next door to the show where the prices were good and if you want any junk from vendors this seemed the cheapest place we found good junk.

Have a great trip

Mary:)

Thanks for your review, Scott. I am in complete agreement about the staff (DD swears they line up and take happy pills every morning). And the entertainment people were having the most fun of all.

It is a shame they don't have a little bit nicer physical plant to work with. As you mentioned, most of the deficencies are in the soft goods that could & should be continually replaced. It doesn't require a dry dock to change a bedspread.

Susan

We were aboard the Mercury in 2001 on a B2B to Alaska. We then chose the same cabin (1057) for our Mexican Riviera last February. The fabric on the couches and chairs seemed to be the same, but in decent repair. We have the same cabin this coming Monday, and I expect the same everything. I just hope it has not totally worn out as some posters are saying.

Rick

Archived