Kauai excursions that need advice please

DGK

Has anyone done the excursion on Kauai that includes both Waimea Canyon plus Wailua River and The Fern Grotto approx. 7 1/2 hours ? If so was it worth the long day and was there lots of time out and about and walking. Our alternative is to do just Waimea Canyon 5 hours or just the Wailua River & Fern Grotto again 3 1/2 hours. Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Our first cruise was the seven day Hawaii on NCL. We were new to cruising and we only pre paid for the fern grotto river excursion. All other ports we Just rented a car. We found that we were able to do two of the excursion itineraries for half the price of one and still have time left over doing it on our own. The fern grotto was nice, Very pretty and entertaining boat ride up the river, but we did not like being "herded" on and off the bus. There was some uphill walking. I cant remember if there were stairs.

Have done the excursions seperate.

The first day, Wailua River and Fern Grotto, was included in our tour, but not worth the money, if you have to pay it seperately.

The second day the Waimea canyon tour, it is awesome.

If possible, take a helicopter flight, and do it early in the morning. We have done that the third day.

It´s something you will never forget in your life.

Okay its expensive, but worth the money, because you can see much more of this wonderful island then by bus or car.

How long will it take to get a car, drive to Waimea canyon and stop and see some of the canyon? Can we do this in 4 to 4.5 hours? We have a 12:45 reservation for a sugar plantation tour (near the road that goes up the canyon) and want to do both. Hope to leave the ship soon after it docks at 8.

Does any one have an idea how much time you are on the bus if you did the Waimea Canyon 5 hour tour, wailua River & Fern Grotto 7 1/2 tour ? Is it better to do the tour through NCL or rent a car for these ? I want to thank everyone for their comments and let you know how much I appreciate the advice.

We booked an independand tour, is less expensive and you could plan everything at home and make your reservation via the internet.

I´m sorry, but I can´t tell how long we have been on the bus, to reach Waimea Canyon.

I´ve heard, its sometimes difficult to get a car, or you have to take your car from the service station at the airport.

Take a look at some other threads here, about car rentals and recommendations.

Hi,

I lived on Kauai for a few years and the Fern Grotto was one of our least favourite excursions when family came to visit - YMMV as usual. The canyon is easily driveable in 2 - 3 hours round trip, but beyond doubt, the best is by helicopter, typically less than $200 for about an hour. Head for the airport, about 2 miles from the harbour and pick your company. Alternatively, drive down to Port Allen and go for a Bell 400 doors-off trip with picnic and swimming in a waterfall pool with Island. A heli tour is the only way to really appreciate the Na Pali coast and Waimea Canyon. Have a great time!

Archived